spbond

KLPD.SYS BSOD on latest Nvidia driver install

Since the previous graphics driver is working fine, I'm in no hurry to download the latest. That said, I, too, have had the dreaded BSOD when attempting to install the latest nVidia driver.

I've not read anywhere how it was determined that the Kaspersky software is the problem. Did I miss something? Internet (Google) search seems to indicate that security programs have been the culprit in the past, is that enough to assume that is the case here?

I'll be waiting a few days to update the driver anyway, hoping a fix will appear. The workaround (uninstalling Kaspersky, doing a manual download of the driver and unzipping the download, then running nVidia's setup program, then reinstalling Kaspersky) is convoluted and time consuming. I have better things to do, don't you?

Whomever at Kaspersky: please address this ASAP

Same problem with me also. W10 Pro 64x + WInrar 5.2 64x. I get a black screen of death when trying to extract the Nvidia driver... I Had to use 7-zip to extract and then it worked. I am getting a little disappointed with Kaspersky lately. I already have McAfee on 2 of my 5 PCs at home and they work perfectly fine so far so i might be going with McAfee next time around...

Edited by Todiie

Same problem. Windows 10 x64, nVidia GeForce Experience, click custom installation of driver update v.355.98, installation starts but then page fault in klpd.sys occurs and reboots Windows after dumping core.

I was still getting the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA KLPD.SYS error after pausing protection, downloading the installer from NVIDIA website and attempting to extract with 7 ZIP as suggested.

My solution was to extract the NVIDIA installer with 7 Zip while booted into "Safe Mode" , After a now successful extraction with 7 ZIP I booted back into "Normal Mode" and ran "Setup.exe" successfully from the extracted folder.

Edited by Canadian Loonie

Hello, everyone!

We are deeply sorry for such nasty issue =\

Could you please tell me number of request to technical support + provide C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP via PM.

UPDATE: We have informed developers about the issue, but please keep uploading dumps. This is very important at this stage.

Hi.

I have the same problem when trying to extract the new Nvidia driver.

Windows 10 64bit, Kapersky Antivirus 16.0.0.614(a).

Same issue here... just happen, my computer restarted about 7 times already. now i give up to update that driver.

Windows 10 x64

I'll send you my memory.dmp to you

I managed to use a workaround and successfully installed the NVIDIA software. First, I downloaded the drivers from NVIDIA, and extracted the files with 7zip application. Once extracted, I ran setup.exe and everything installed without any crashes.

Must be the same reason with NVIDIA's 7zip unpacker. My guess is that the Kaspersky driver was trying to scan the memory of the unpacked data stored in temp memory, and and crashed when that page got swapped out to disk.

EDIT: Better way I think of it, NVIDIA's files is full of DLLs which run in kernel mode, and Kas could be taking its time to analyze those pieces of code but crashed when the unpacker was swapping contents back to disk from memory.

As a note, I had to use 7zip on a different machine which doesn't have Kaspersky installed to use this workaround, as the computer still bluescreened on the klpd.sys when I tried this on the same machine. Will update after I run the unzipped setup.

As a note, I had to use 7zip on a different machine which doesn't have Kaspersky installed to use this workaround, as the computer still bluescreened on the klpd.sys when I tried this on the same machine. Will update after I run the unzipped setup.

Didn't see an edit button on my post. Manual install successful after I unpacked the exe on my laptop to a usb stick. Looking forward to the fix to Kaspersky.

Litle fix for that prob. Download the driver from Nvidia HP and restart in safe mode install the driver and restart the system.

Hello, everyone!

We are deeply sorry for such nasty issue =\

Could you please tell me number of request to technical support + provide C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP via PM.

UPDATE: We have informed developers about the issue, but please keep uploading dumps. This is very important at this stage.

Dear Kaspersky team,

Should you require NVIDIA assistance to resolve this issue, please contact me directly via email. I will try to connect you with the right people.

Thank you,

Mikhail Ugolkov

Sr. Performance Engineer, NVIDIA

I Have the same problem

Windows 10 64Bit

Nvidia GTX660

Request : INC000005101195

Edited by raptch

Hello all,

i have exactly the same problem. Windows 10, Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 and try to extract Nvidia 355.98-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe.

Regards

Minidump more than 300k

Until there is a fix from Kaspersky team, you could do the following :

Download the driver

Boot at SAFE MODE ( I use msconfig boot options safe mode)

After booting in safe mode, install the driver

Then boot normally.

This works !!!

Until there is a fix from Kaspersky team, you could do the following :

Download the driver

Boot at SAFE MODE ( I use msconfig boot options safe mode)

After booting in safe mode, install the driver

Then boot normally.

This works !!!

Yes, this is currently the best workaround available at the moment: http://support.kaspersky.com/general/various/493

UPDATE

sticky thread: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=333366

Yes, this is currently the best workaround available at the moment: http://support.kaspersky.com/general/various/493

UPDATE

sticky thread: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=333366

The file that is causing my machine to BSOD when Kaspersky scans it:

355.98-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe -> LEDVisualizer\he-IL\NvLedVisualizerControl.resources.dll

When I open the exe with WinRAR and attempt to extract that file my machine BSODs. Checked every other file in the LEDVisualizer folder, none of the other resources files cause this problem.

To me, this also brings up important issues about KIS itself, namely 1) why does this still cause a BSOD even when Kaspersky protection is paused and 2) why does this still BSOD when I add the location I extract the drivers to to my exclusions list.

Edited by Just_Joe

hi, I'm facing the same problem with my Windows 10 x64 and Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 during I install 355.98-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

I was took down a phone with my phone and search in google for my BSOD screen about this "klpd.sys" then I found this post here.

Temporary fix is turn off Kaspersky so it doesn't crash your computer when installing nvidia latest driver and when finish then turn Kaspersky back on. Hopefully we don't have to do this workaround again in the future.

I had Kaspersky to pause all of its services, but the fact is, the driver module is still loaded in Windows kernel memory and still active for whatever reason.

I tried that, but still BSOD. So I had to switch to the "drastic" method: uninstalled KIS 2016 with kavremover, downloaded drivers from Nvidia website, installed them and then re-installed KIS 2016. Now let's hope it doesn't do the same thing on next drivers release. Imho Kaspersky should work on a patch for this, but I'm sure they're already on it ;)

/edit: add important quote:

I downloaded the drivers from nvidias web site, and then entered safemode (in advanced startup options); this worked without issue. (after 3 BSODs.... thanks Kaspersky & nVidia <_< )

Hello everyone,

We do our best to prepare a permanent solution of the issue with BSoD on unpacking NVIDIA drivers installation package ASAP. Until such solution is ready we suggest to use a workaround described here.

The problem with (un-)pinning applications in Windows 10 Start menu is going to be fixed with patch B for KAV/KIS/KTS 2016 which is currently in the final test stage.

As for script injection, please, see this post. Also there are some workarounds which could be used: this or p. 2 in this post.

For any issue with Anti-Spam and Outlook, please, submit request to our Technical support in order to investigate specific problem and find available solution or workaround.

Thank you

Dear Kaspersky team,

Should you require NVIDIA assistance to resolve this issue, please contact me directly via email. I will try to connect you with the right people.

Thank you,

Mikhail Ugolkov

Sr. Performance Engineer, NVIDIA

I work for NVIDIA. Have users contacted Kaspersky regarding this issue? If so have they stated if they have determined the root cause?

Mikhail, Manuel, thank you for your interest and readiness for assistance! Kaspersky Lab is already in touch with NVIDIA on the issue.