Sign in to follow this  
marcks

Shut down problems, avp.exe will not close

Since switching frowm Kas Anti Virus to PURE (9.1.0.124) my PC (Windows XP Home Edition) frequently (but not always) does not shut down properly. I get a message box stating that avp.exe is not responding and have to override this to cause shutdown. Even this sometimes does not work and the computer is left hanging with my only option being to force shutdown with the PC on/off switch. In most cases of course this leads to problems with data restoration when I start up again. Can anyone help?

Did you run the Norton Removal Tool before installing Kaspersky?

There are no Kaspersky related errors in your Event Viewer, but your current GSI report shows signs of Norton leftovers.

Also, you have a Network Adapter update.

Did you run the Norton Removal Tool before installing Kaspersky?

There are no Kaspersky related errors in your Event Viewer, but your current GSI report shows signs of Norton leftovers.

Also, you have a Network Adapter update.

I uninstalled the Norton stuff twice (with the Norton Removal Tool). Can I do anything more to get rid of the leftovers? Is that a cause of my shutdown problem?

Don't know what a Network adaptor update is. I just ran the microsoft programme to find essential updates but this was not mentioned. If it is necessary to solve my problem please tell me what I should do to get the update.

Thanks

Mark

Using Kaspersky PURE I have problems shutting down my PC. After selecting "shut down" the machine blocks with a series of warning boxes indicating that some operation or programme concerned can't shut down normally. This requires that I hang around until it has finished doing whatever it does and then manually select, "Close programme". Once this has happened there is usually another problem programme and then sometimes a third. The problems are avp.exe and GoogleToolbarNo (from memory). Consequence is I need to hang around 10 minutes to switch the whole thing off. I have tried exiting from Ksapersky PURE before shutting down - this sometimes helps but often not. Any help this annoyance would be appreciated. I am using Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1. There is a GetInfo report at http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...3ed9836debfbab2.

Thanks you.

Mark

Merged. Please do a checkdisk, check both boxes, instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...disk-for-errors

After that, please clean install the new PURE 2.0

Disable self defense, located in your old PURE settings, then Exit PURE via right click the red K tray icon, then uninstall your old PURE > reboot.

Then download and install the new PURE 2.0 > update databases > activate with your current activation code > reboot.

Download link is located in the second Important topic.

Merged. Please do a checkdisk, check both boxes, instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...disk-for-errors

After that, please clean install the new PURE 2.0

Disable self defense, located in your old PURE settings, then Exit PURE via right click the red K tray icon, then uninstall your old PURE > reboot.

Then download and install the new PURE 2.0 > update databases > activate with your current activation code > reboot.

Download link is located in the second Important topic.

I have carried out the checkdisk, uninstallation, reinstallation and database updates as you suggested. I appear to have lost both my back-up programming and - very annoyingly - the record of all my passwords in Password Manager. My problem with the shutdown procedure is also not solved - although it is changed. Now the programmes which are 'not reacting' and thus have to be force quit are different. There are 2: ASUSTTeKRCAppl and ActiveMovieWindow. The new GetInfo report is http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...6a758e38c052302. Can you see what is wrong?

Rgds Mark

Hello,

Remove this: GearDrvs, Rapport and try also without MSXML 4.0 SP2 and SOAP Toolkit 3.0.

Also try removing HP bloatware you have installed.

Remove all Java versions and install only latest java build (b31).

If you still have problems, try reinstalling pure.

Edited by Marko13

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.