Sign in to follow this  
CptTrips

WinXP: Crash with ActiveSync

Hi,

I'm currently experiencing the following problem:

Using Kaspersky Antivirus 5.0.388 Personal Pro together with Microsoft ActiveSync 4.0 (also 4.1) to synchronize my PocketPC running Windows Mobile 5.0 will constantly result in a window's bluescreen stating klif.sys as source of crash. Host system is Windows XP SP2 and all latest updates.

After applying an update to Kaspersky Antivirus which leads to version 5.0.390 (klif.sys file version now is 6.12.10.147) the bluescreens error reason changes to DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

After hours of finding out the source of my problem I currently can't figure out how to get it working with switching to another antivirus software.

Is this an know problem? Does anybody found a workaround?

Thanks for any help,

Michael

Hi Michael & welcome

First thing to try is to disable the networkprotection in Kaspersky Pro, you do it here:

14wn.png

Remember to click ok afterwards and reboot. You will then have a yellow exclamation, which is normal and simply informational, looks like this:

kav50personalpro5pg.png.

Please try this and report back. :)

Hi Don,

thanks for your reply and sorry for delaying my answer but I have been on vacation.

Well, turning off real-time protection against network attacks prevents crashing windows when ActiveSync opens the network connection to the mobile device.

How risky is it to leave this option turned off? Is this "problem" a know problem?

thanks,

Michael

No, not risky at all, it's a sort of minifirewall that only Kaspersky have and it is recommended not to use it, if you're already using a firewall, it is only for those without a FW. :)

Hi,

Is there a similar fix for KAV Persoal working with AntiHacker?

I get BSOD with Activesync 4.1 when the info is retreived from the PDA.

Thanks,

bj

Hi,

Is there a similar fix for KAV Persoal working with AntiHacker?

I get BSOD with Activesync 4.1 when the info is retreived from the PDA.

Thanks,

bj

Yes, checkmark this one:

realtimeprotectionsettings24nw.png

And reboot after clicking ok to the change.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Don't have that screen just a slider bar and buttons on what to do with an infected file. Using KAV Personal 5.0.158.

bj

Download the latest version 5.0.388 here:http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates?chapter=146244099, uninstall 5.0.158, reboot and install 5.0.388 this way:

You will during the install encounter this window:

k47hg.jpg

Here you uncheck "Operate according to recommended settings", click next and proceed to the next window:

k58gf.jpg

Here you uncheck "Use real-time protection against network attacks", click next and finish the install as you would normally do.

Important: IDS is a part of the firewall, and it cannot replace a fully functional firewall on your computer. Kaspersky Labs recommends you to use this system (Intrusion Detection System) only if you do not have a personal firewall on your PC. In order to have full control over network activity on your computer (control over applications' network activities, packet filtering) we recommend to use a fully functional personal firewall

You will of course need your keyfile for this. :)

So would the ealier version of KAV cause a firewall issue?  I also have AntiHacker 1.7.130.0 running so it may be causing the BSOD with Activesync.

Microsoft has workarounds on their site for other firewalls but not KAH.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/hel...nc/default.mspx

Thanks, bj

As you can see it worked for the OP and will have to be disabled, in any case i would upgrade to 5.0.388, you're running a quite ol version of KAV.

Then try to apply the tips for the other firewall and tweak the rule you already must have in KAH.

Btw. What version of KAH are you using?, the lastest versions are :1.7.130 & 1.8.180.

I am also having big problems using Microsoft ActiveSync 4.0 (also 4.1) to synchronize my PocketPC. I am using Win XP, SP2, Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal (Version 5.0.375) and Kaspersky Anti-Hacker (Version 1.7.130.0). My Laptop always crashes with a blue screen, whenever(!) I start ActiveSync! I tried your recommended fix and de-activated the protection against network attacks but I still get a blue screen crash whenever I connect my PDA.

Even completly terminating the Anti-Virus AND Anti-Hacker applications does not solve this problem. I have not tried to completly de-installing both Kaspersky Applications yet, but I rather not since I bought this to actually use it!

Is there any hope that I can use my PDA??

Thank you for any helping advice!

First of all, upgrade to the latest versions, 5.0.388/390 for the AV and 1.8.180 for Anti-Hacker (uninstall 5.0.375 & 1.7.130 first). Remember to disable the networkprotection in 5.0.388 during the install.

Then read the microsoft link in this thread and use the info from there on which ports etc, activesync needs in the rule you need to make in Anti-Hacker, you can download documentation on Anti-Hacker to help you with the rules as well as the products from downloads at http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads.

Of course there's hope, the OP succeeded and so can you. :)

Hello Don -- MANY THANKS to you!

After I removed Anti-Virus and Anti-Hacker I was able to use ActiveSync with my PDA. Installing the latest version of kaspersky Anti-Virus and de-activating the network-protection during installation still works out fine.

But after I installed the latest edition of Anti-Hacker I have crashes again. I tried to solve the problem by creating rules, but I guess I did not cover all processes since it still crashes. I allowed TCP protocoll connections for all 4 EXE-files that are described by Micorsoft and for the whole range from Port 990 - 26675 -- but it seems that this is not enough.

I also can not find any cofiguration description in the online world.

Hello Don -- MANY THANKS to you!

After I removed Anti-Virus and Anti-Hacker I was able to use ActiveSync with my PDA. Installing the latest version of kaspersky Anti-Virus and de-activating the network-protection during installation still works out fine.

But after I installed the latest edition of Anti-Hacker I have crashes again. I tried to solve the problem by creating rules, but I guess I did not cover all processes since it still crashes. I allowed TCP protocoll connections for all 4 EXE-files that are described by Micorsoft and for the whole range from Port 990 - 26675 -- but it seems that this is not enough.

Hi mac

I'm running out of ideas, but two things you should try. The first is to disable stealth, you may have to reboot. Then try to use ActiveSync.

The second thing is to set the security to "allow all" (only temporarily of course!) also with stealth disabled, if you're still getting crashes after allowing all, then it may be a driver conflict, but lets hope not. :)

I'm running out of ideas, but two things you should try. The first is to disable stealth, you may have to reboot. Then try to use  ActiveSync.

The second thing is to set the security to "allow all" (only temporarily of course!) also with stealth disabled, if you're still getting crashes after allowing all, then it may be a driver conflict, but lets hope not. :)

Hello Don,

first of all: Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I did not even have stealth mode activated in Anti-Hacker. I also tried the "allow all" option and my system still crashes with blue screen. I de-installed the whole Anti-Hacker application from my system: and ActiveSync works fine again. grrrr*. So I expect there must be a problem somewhere deep down?! For sure this sucks, since I bought Anti-Hacker half a year ago and can not use it anymore now. But I rather have my PDA synced and use the MS built-in firewall I guess... Any Ideas?

Thanks.

mac.

Well using MS-firewall with Kaspersky AV and ActiveSync is not a bad solution securitywise. Have you tried contacting support.

The only consolation i can give is the fact that when Kaspersky 2006 is released in the new year, you will be able to use the suite, it looks like this (plus antispam):

239lr.png

It will have a completely new anti-hacker firewall. :)

Anti-Hacker can be upgraded for FREE only if the user has Personal 5.0 of Personal Pro 5.0. These users can upgrade to Kaspersky Internet Security 2006.

@mac42

I dont have a pocketPC so a little unsure of this, but from reading the page at microsoft it appears that your pocketpc is given an IP address.

Have you set this IP to a "fixed" address within the Host and pocketPC.

If not, then the adding of a new IP (network) while KAH is running could possibly be causing the crash.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.