I just installed SysInternals' FileMon, and was browsing through the results (out of curiosity). It seems like about 50-60% of the file activity on my system has to do with one file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\5.0\Reports\RptMng.rept

It seems like every eight seconds or so, kavsvc.exe reads and writes to RptMng.rept about fifty times.

I don't ever view the reports, so unless they're used internally, I'd like to turn off the reporting feature. Not that my system is struggling or anything, but it seems so messy, and I have that moderate level of obsessive-compulsive disorder that many geeks seem to share. Ya know?

Any comments about what KAV is doing here?

Try to click: "Start" - "Controlpanel" - "Administrative tools" - "Services" and in there stop the "Indexing service" and set it to "Disabled", remember to click apply. See if this helps.

I don't ever view the reports, so unless they're used internally, I'd like to turn off the reporting feature

What about the option "Log all reports" (Additional Settings|General)?

(I haven’t tried to uncheck).

Yes, this should help too, i usually uncheck this one.

Try to click: "Start" - "Controlpanel" - "Administrative tools" - "Services" and in there stop the "Indexing service" and set it to "Disabled", remember to click apply. See if this helps.

I already keep the Indexing Service disabled, and "Log all reports" is likewise unchecked.

RptMng.* is a files where main report written. In its records RptMng contains information about tasks, their settings, statistics and link to their detailed report.

So, when some task starting, stopping, or changing its statistics RptMng is written.

Statistics is changing often, but written into same place everytime, and this means that it is cached and really not flushed to hard disk. So there is no impact to system perfomance, and only way to see it somehow, is Filemon :)

RptMng.* is a files where main report written. In its records RptMng contains information about tasks, their settings, statistics and link to their detailed report.

So, when some task starting, stopping, or changing its statistics RptMng is written.

Statistics is changing often, but written into same place everytime, and this means that it is cached and really not flushed to hard disk. So there is no impact to system perfomance, and only way to see it somehow, is Filemon :)

Well, that makes me feel better then. Thank you, Oleg! That was an excellent explanation. :)

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.