Kaspergers

Bash shell for Win 10, Linux Subsystem for Windows

I'm using Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2016 on Windows 10 Pro.

I've tracked down connectivity issues I've been having using the newly added Windows 10 Ununtu Linux Bash environment and they are a result of Kaspersky. While Kaspersky is running (even when protection is paused), I'm unable to initiate connections such as with curl or apt-get within the bash prompt in Windows 10. Once Kaspersky is shut down, everything works well. It also interfered with the installation of this windows feature in the first place.

However, when I attempt to add bash.exe to the exception list, it's being filtered out somehow in the file finder so I can't select it to add it to the trusted applications list. I see no easy way to access this very useful linux subsystem in windows and kaspersky at the same time.

How can I get Kaspersky to play nice?

--------------------------------

//Edit: Added quote below:

This should've already been resolved for 2016 MR1 (16.0.1.x) with the latest patch E.

2017 will receive the same fix with patch B.

Edited by richbuff

Whizard   

Mouse over the red K and tell us the exact version you are running? You might also want to grab v2017 and see if its any better.

gtirloni   

Same issue here. Pausing protection does not help, I have to actually exit Kaspersky, then bash works.

I can start Kaspersky again after bash runs, and subsequent runs of bash will continue to work.

Kaspersky Internet Security 16.0.1.445©

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

Currently there is no full support for W10 RS1/AU, a new patch E for K2016MR1 16.0.1.445 is being tested (still in beta) to give support for RS1/AU.

Edited by harlan4096

Ulow   

Same for me - KIS 17.0.0.611

I hope you will solve that issue soon

Upd:

Also Kaspesky may couse bash.exe hangs if process with network connection like apt-get update was termenated in the middle of process (^C), it solves by kaspersky restart

Edited by Ulow

Same for me - KIS 17.0.0.611

I hope you will solve that issue soon

Upd:

Also Kaspesky may couse bash.exe hangs if process with network connection like apt-get update was termenated in the middle of process (^C), it solves by kaspersky restart

Same here, any news on this? The only new feature of this windows update is useless, and I STILL want to keep using kaspersky.. ;/

I'm having the same problem running KIS 16.0.1.445(d), so it looks like I already have the D patch @harlan4096 was talking about, when can we expect a fix?

I think this feature is very important to devs as we don't have to start VMs every time any more.

Edited by Samuele1996

Sorry, it is patch E which is being tested for K2016MR1...

Energia   

The AV has some compatibility issues with Windows 10 Anniversary Update Bash feature. Whenever I do "sudo apt-get update" inside bash, it can't connect to some IPs. And sometimes when I start bash, I get just the blanking cursor on an empty screen. I'm sure that this is a problem with K AV, because the moment I went to Kaspersky AV's settings -> Additional -> Network and disabled everything there (no port scans/monitoring), Bash started successfully, and I was able to "apt-get update" without problems.

Kaspersky AV 17.0.0.611 (a) on Windows 10 1607 Enterprise.

I really do not mean to be a pain, but how is it that I cannot even stop the AV so that I can perform the get update. Seems a little weird on top of that I cannot add a straight exception to the firewall so that I can use bash for windows.

Edited by alextop30

gmit   

The lastest Win10 update comes with Subsystem for Unix-based Applications which allows running Ubuntu binaries on Windows.

With (latest) KAV installed, SUA doesn't have network access and its service seems to stuck while closing.

Does anyone have similar experience with KAV+SUA?

Whizard   

As I mentioned above this is a known issue. Please contact KL support directly for an estimated workarounds.

Has anyone been able to successfully work around the AV nonsense or are we still left with exiting the AV so that we can access the repos? I understand it is a known issue but I am still wondering what good is a firewall which I cannot configure to leave some programs alone and let them through. I cannot even find the bash executable in the firewall programs list.

--------------------------------

//Edit: Added quote below:

This should've already been resolved for 2016 MR1 (16.0.1.x) with the latest patch E.

Edited by richbuff

We found that this problem exists in Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows (10.2.5.3201) . Is there any patch for the business version ?

I'd like to find out when I can start using Linux Subsystem for Windows on my systems, which have KIS 2017 installed. Will something be mentioned in this thread?