hayleyit

Update agents pushing pushing out to entire network

Hi, we have recently tried to configue the Update Agent options to try and cut down network traffic.

We have around 35 different subnets, all divided up into seperate groups on the KSC. To each of these groups we have assigned one single local host on each of the subnets to act as an Update Agent.

We assumed thet by doing this all PCs in that group would refer to their local update agent only. We have since discovered that this is not the case, for example, our Administration server is located in a datacentre, it is sending updates to one of our update agents located in Derby, but a PC in Scotland is pulling updates from Derby, not its own Scottish update agent.

Are we missing a setting which will enable us to define which agents are used for each Group?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by HayleyIT

Hi, we have recently tried to configue the Update Agent options to try and cut down network traffic.

We have around 35 different subnets, all divided up into seperate groups on the KSC. To each of these groups we have assigned one single local host on each of the subnets to act as an Update Agent.

We assumed thet by doing this all PCs in that group would refer to their local update agent only. We have since discovered that this is not the case, for example, our Administration server is located in a datacentre, it is sending updates to one of our update agents located in Derby, but a PC in Scotland is pulling updates from Derby, not its own Scottish update agent.

Are we missing a setting which will enable us to define which agents are used for each Group?

Thanks in advance.

Hello. Please attach screenshots.

Hello. Please attach screenshots.

Hi, not quite sure what you need to see but here is a sample of our server structure.

These should show the complete structure of our Groups which are all on different subnets. Also the list of update agents will be shown, this is the only setting we have configured.

post-249009-1318860925_thumb.jpg

post-249009-1318860940_thumb.jpg

post-249009-1318860956_thumb.jpg

Hi, not quite sure what you need to see but here is a sample of our server structure.

These should show the complete structure of our Groups which are all on different subnets. Also the list of update agents will be shown, this is the only setting we have configured.

Please can someone help with this. I have now had to remove all of my agents as they were pushing out updates all over the place, not just to their Group.

Could anyone advise the best way of setting this up?

I have read the Update Agent guide http://support.kaspersky.com/faq?chapter=2...28#FeedBackForm but it does not go into enough detail. My setup was exactly as mentioned in this guide but if I can lock down certain settings that would really help to stop fooding my network with Kaspersky traffic.

Edited by HayleyIT

Update Agents are inherited through the group hierarchy.

Remove all update agents from Managed Computers ==> Properties.

On each group add the unique update agent for that group/subnet only.

Update Agents are inherited through the group hierarchy.

Remove all update agents from Managed Computers ==> Properties.

On each group add the unique update agent for that group/subnet only.

Thanks, I have looked in Managed Computers > Properties and I have no update agents listed. I have looked in one of my Groups, Derby > Properties, and I have no update agent listed for that group...all of my groups show now update agents assigned to them. But, if I could to my Derby Group and try to add an update agent it says "Compter "PC1" is an update agent of another group already. Do you want to use it as an update agent for this group too?"

So if its not listed in Managed computers or in any group as an update agent, where else will it show me about update agents?