Sign in to follow this  
bhaner

Disinfection is not possible, Reason: write not supported

bhaner   

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 ver 8.0.0.454. Databases were updated this morning. OS is XP Professional SP 3. Running the virus scan, I receive an alarm for Trojan.JS.Pakes.bg. This began about 7 days ago. The window says "Disinfection is not possible, Reason: write not supported". I tried scanning/disinfecting in Safe Mode and received the same message. So, my options are "Delete archive" or "Skip". What does "Delete archive" mean? Can I safely do that? What will it delete? What are the implications of doing so? Alternately, can I just use Windows Explorer to delete the infected file? How risky is it to "Skip" and leave the trojan in place? The file information is:

"c:\documents and settings\"user name"\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\utb0tc7q\asterouste[1]"

Size 9.5 KB

Created 5/23/2009 2:22:58 PM

Modified 5/30/2009 10:08:24 AM.

Any suggestions or help much appreciated. Thank you.

adi_bun   
I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 ver 8.0.0.454. Databases were updated this morning. OS is XP Professional SP 3. Running the virus scan, I receive an alarm for Trojan.JS.Pakes.bg. This began about 7 days ago. The window says "Disinfection is not possible, Reason: write not supported". I tried scanning/disinfecting in Safe Mode and received the same message. So, my options are "Delete archive" or "Skip". What does "Delete archive" mean? Can I safely do that? What will it delete? What are the implications of doing so? Alternately, can I just use Windows Explorer to delete the infected file? How risky is it to "Skip" and leave the trojan in place? The file information is:

"c:\documents and settings\"user name"\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\utb0tc7q\asterouste[1]"

Size 9.5 KB

Created 5/23/2009 2:22:58 PM

Modified 5/30/2009 10:08:24 AM.

Any suggestions or help much appreciated. Thank you.

Yes , you can delete it manually , or delete browser`s cache , or use ccleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

bhaner   
hello

just use delete archive. the file is packed and inside an archive, kis can only unpack specific archive types, not modify them, so the only option is to delete the whole archive. nothing will happen if you do this in this case, the file will be deleted, that's all.

Ok, I did delete archive and all appears well. Thanks much for your help.