wguru

Update 6.0.2.621 sizes are different, why?

Update download sizes are different, why?

Downloaded using the 19.8Mb (20,353Kb) update from http US site #1 which oddly was reportedly 18.1KB/sec, but actual was reflecting 1% of a Mb per second (i.e; 1Kb/sec) and download actually took 20 minutes (10:45AM to 11:05AM), ref dnl-us4.kaspersky-labs.com.

Tried downloading again, but used the US site #2 and that one was only 18.6Mb (19,123Kb) reportedly at 91 to 92KB/sec, ref dnl-us5.kaspersky-labs.com taking some 4 mins (11:07AM to 11:11AM).

Then tried downloading the same update via the ftp US site #1 and then site #2, but the IE6 window that appeared stated -

The page cannot be displayed - Cannot find server or DNS Error

Internet Explorer

They were both the same size.......19.8Mb (20,353Kb) when i downloaded them a little earlier.

When i downloaded 6.0.2.621 I gave US http server two a go, install failed stating the files couldn't be unpacked due to corruption. Gave US http server one a try, download was slow but no corruption error. The one I got from server one in the end that was not corrupted was 18.6 megs, strange how the size is varying :huh:

Edited by mcnabb921

From what I have seen, some packages include a PDF manual. Each time I've noticed a size difference of that sort (between downloads of the same product/build), I've extracted them and done full binary and contents comparisons. The only difference I've ever seen is one has a PDF and one does not.

Then send a request to kaspersky re: md5 values. If they receive enough requests, they might decide to post them...

Good enough for me  :)

Sure, but think about it for a second... If it wouldn't be used by most users, so what? Something isn't worthy only if >50% of users are affected. Maybe 5,000 or 10,000 users would appreciate it, and that's enough to them... Even if that were only 15% of users.

And the other reason--you know it's safe since you got it from KL... The issue isn't just safety... It is as much an issue of simply making sure the download was obtained without being corrupted. MD5 hashes insure data integrity.

How many times have you had an issue where when you downloaded a file from a server which was corrupted?

Never mind, I suppose we all have different opinions and thoughts. We'll wait and see if KL do anything about it or not

Sure, but think about it for a second...  If it wouldn't be used by most users, so what?  Something isn't worthy only if >50% of users are affected.  Maybe 5,000 or 10,000 users would appreciate it, and that's enough to them...  Even if that were only 15% of users.

And the other reason--you know it's safe since you got it from KL...  The issue isn't just safety...  It is as much an issue of simply making sure the download was obtained without being corrupted.  MD5 hashes insure data integrity.

Ayup, not to mention the many features in KAV that will be misunderstood/disabled/not installed by most users.

Thanks for the reply(ies).

I'll go with the one at 18.6MB/19,123KB as opposed the larger one, mostly as I'm pretty sick of having to reinstall KAV and if there's any chance at all the larger file was/is corrupted, the smaller file size downloaded very quickly, that and I'm all for one less reinstall.

Again, appreciate the replies.

because it would be of no use for most users ;)

also you download from kl's servers so you know they are safe.

generating an md5 value takes little effort and it gives the more knowledgeable people in this forum the ability to help themselves and others.

definitely a win for kaspersky corp.

it is of course a very good practice to provide md5 values. go look at how many downloads at http://sf.net/ provide md5 values.

in my experience when md5 values are *not* provided it's' typically a sign that the folks providing the downloads don't understand the importance of providing an md5 value or don't even know what an md5 value is (both are problematic).

has anyone contacted kaspersky about providing md5 values?

peace,

david

all kis/kav installation packages have a digital signature by kav btw.

if that package is somewhat modified then there's no more signature:

thanks for pointing this out, although this is not as convenient or as universal as an md5 value, imho.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.