This is still outstanding.

I am a Kaspersky reseller.

Several customers are complaining of slowdowns when opening firefox, Internet explorer and other applications.

When 'System Watcher' is disabled there is no delay.

This is the same on my own personal system that has 2 x Samung Pro 128GB SSD's in raid 0.

All PC's, notebooks have latest version of Kaspersky 13.0.1.4190 (f)

Most are running Windows 7 64bit.

This is extremely damaging for Kaspersky reputation, several of the clients are saying if this is not resolved soon they will not be renewing their subscriptions.

After watching the goings on of the 'System Watcher' issue over the last few months I am also considering dropping Kaspersky products (I have been a reseller since 2006) as I cannot have my business damaged because of such an issue.

Kaspersky should have got a grip on this, but unfortunately it is still ongoing.

Personally, I can understand my customers frustration and anger.

My PC is custom built and it is not acceptable when a machine costing 1000's of pounds, as so to be extremely responsive, is being brought to a crawl because of a piece of software.

Kaspersky this is not good ......

Edited by cito

This is still outstanding.

I am a Kaspersky reseller.

Several customers are complaining of slowdowns when opening firefox, Internet explorer and other applications.

When 'System Watcher' is disabled there is no delay.

This is the same on my own personal system that has 2 x Samung Pro 128GB SSD's in raid 0.

All PC's, notebooks have latest version of Kaspersky 13.0.1.4190 (f)

Most are running Windows 7 64bit.

This is extremely damaging for Kaspersky reputation, several of the clients are saying if this is not resolved soon they will not be renewing their subscriptions.

After watching the goings on of the 'System Watcher' issue over the last few months I am also considering dropping Kaspersky products (I have been a reseller since 2006) as I cannot have my business damaged because of such an issue.

Kaspersky should have got a grip on this, but unfortunately it is still ongoing.

Personally, I can understand my customers frustration and anger.

My PC is custom built and it is not acceptable when a machine costing 1000's of pounds, as so to be extremely responsive, is being brought to a crawl because of a piece of software.

Kaspersky this is not good ......

same problem here

It seems that every time i start my Firefox,a ffcert.exe starts and prevents it from starting until it finishes its thing.The description of the process says its a firefox certificate installer.But why it starts on every launch and not just once,i don't know.Also on the network settings in KAV i have disabled the scan encrypted connections(as i always have) for which there is an option to install a certificate.I temporarily disabled KAV protection and re-enabled it and for now the ffcert.exe process no longer starts and hangs FF start-up.But i guess after an OS restart it will popup again.So any info on that process and why is it hanging the FF start-up so much would be nice

Edited by d3mon

Hello,

Thank you for information! We are investigating the issue. Could you send us product traces collected while problem's reproduction?

Evening Gents.

I started using Kaspersky antivirus 2013 a few months back after I started getting issues with my old Kaspersky 2011. Now at the start all was good but the last few days I noticed that my system was getting slower over time when turned on and it gets too a point when it takes like a second to open a program. Now my PC was build for performance and this is unacceptable. First I noticed that Kaspersky was using 25% of the cpu which it should not. To resolve that issue I turned off Advance disinfection technology hoping it would solve my problem. Now again today I noticed after a while that my system gets slowed down to a point it takes a second to load a program and I have noticed it starts doing so when browsing online. Is there a fix for this because If not I want my money back because I had a similar bad experience with Kaspersky AV 2011 where it started using 50% of my CPU and my system would totally hang hence the reason for upgrading.

On a side note I did tried reinstalling 2013 but the problem was back and as soon as I turn it off my system is again totally responsive like it should be. Again this is unacceptable because my system cost me almost 2000 euros and is like I said made for performance.

I believe that my problem might be the same

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=258292

I started using Kaspersky antivirus 2013 a few months back after I started getting issues with my old Kaspersky 2011. Now at the start all was good but the last few days I noticed that my system was getting slower over time when turned on and it gets too a point when it takes like a second to open a program. Now my PC was build for performance and this is unacceptable. First I noticed that Kaspersky was using 25% of the cpu which it should not. To resolve that issue I turned off Advance disinfection technology hoping it would solve my problem. Now again today I noticed after a while that my system gets slowed down to a point it takes a second to load a program and I have noticed it starts doing so when browsing online. Is there a fix for this because If not I want my money back because I had a similar bad experience with Kaspersky AV 2011 where it started using 50% of my CPU and my system would totally hang hence the reason for upgrading.

On a side note I did tried reinstalling 2013 but the problem was back and as soon as I turn it off my system is again totally responsive like it should be. Again this is unacceptable because my system cost me almost 2000 euros and is like I said made for performance.

Edited by Denis25

Preliminary investigation shows that the issue could be related to old databases' 'heritage' and should be fixed with system reboot. If someone experience this problem even after reboot, please, collect product traces and dumps of avp.exe processes and attach it here. Thanks.

seems like the issues that many reported have returned with slowness across the whole machine. If I control alt delete to bring up TM

it takes a minute to come up. Also launching Outlook and the start menu pauses and make it like it didn't launch but really is acting like

the task manager. Surfing as well has been sluggish but mostly system wide sluggish. The control alt thing is super aggravating.

thanks

Nothing has changed for me, just todays update

So pissed off!! All the computers at work started to act very sluggish today including the ones at my home. I decided to check out the forum and this thread came up. Disabled Application Watcher and apps and pages open up almost instantly, like before. I hope you guys get your act together, this is very unacceptable.

So far the reboot has solved some of the issues I have tested. I also did it a little different for the heck of it. I stopped the app and closed it, then rebooted. The Cntrl Alt is resolved. I still need to test more with the whole machine.

thanks

Yes myself and MANY others are also having these issues which only seem to have started recently (FEB2013) I notice if you temporarily pause protection and then re resume protection the problem goes away but comes back after a while.

Kaspersky needs to sort this out quickly, I wonder how many other people are now finding their powerful gaming computers are running like an old 286 because of this.

This sort of thing is exactly why so many people ditched Norton IS 2010 as it caused major slowdowns.

With protection paused my computer is lightning fast, Guys you are going to lose so many customers is this isn't sorted out quickly.

Kaspersky generally has a great reputation so dont ruin it.

Has anyone noticed a link to this problem with KIS 2013 "F" release and Google Chrome's latest release, there is some talk of it on the Chrome forums.

Hello mgsamps, anewday,

we really appreciate you feedback.

May I ask you if you did try to update antivirus databases and reboot? Did this fix the issue? If not - please kindly provide us with the product traces and dumps of avp.exe processes - we will really need these to investigate further.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Best regards,

Igor Akhmetov.

Good morning guys,

well thats one customer lost,

he came in this morning for another issue with his notebook, and said to me

'that antivirus you gave me I took it off, it was making my computer slow'

He has put Avast on the notebook, which as he says, 'is free' and he is very happy.

He said, 'I know it wont give me as much protection as Kaspersky, but I can use my computer normally' and it cost me nothing.

That is as damning indignation as you could hear and it wasnt said in malice, but as a simple, blunt and to the point description of their experiences.

To add more confusion.

My desktop PC, after starting this thread, started to act normally again.

I didnt reboot, didnt disable / enable system watcher, nada.

By itself it returned to normality.

I have another customer coming to me today, installed KIS 2013 for her, after removing KIS 2012, then using removal tool, then cleaning out old files, defragmenting then installing KIS 2013.

This is what she said to me over the phone.

Her: 'Hi, the Internet is taking a long time to load'

Me: 'Hi, which browser are you using, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.'

Her: 'I am using Firefox'

Me: 'When you say it is taking a long time to load, what do you mean'.

Her: 'I press the firefox button and wait for several seconds and nothing happens, so I press it a few more times'

Now, this is what most users do, when they press a button and nothing happens, they dont know how to ctrl-alt-delete and check what processes are running etc, they are normal users, they press the button a few more time, 'just incase they didnt click it right'

And so the problem gets worse.

As a reseller, what I am to do if some of these people start asking for their money back ?

I put in a new order for Kaspersky 2013 products the other day and will be receiving them today, I am in 2 minds to send the item back.

I thought the System Watcher issue had been resolved, but obviously it hasnt.

This is such a mess, we cannot know the reason where Kaspersky went wrong, but something is wrong, and as a user said, other antivirus companies had similar issues in the past and we all know how that turned out for them.

If Kaspersky cant resolve this soon, they will be going down the same path.

I am now looking into other antivirus companies to buy products its not something I want to do, but I cant be selling software to my customers then to be inundated with calls every few days on why

'their computer is slow........'

:unsure:

Edited by cito

I've only had KIS 2013 installed for a few days now and with each day my computer was getting slower and slower. Today it got so bad that it took 30-45 seconds for IE to open after clicking the icon, and then another 15-30 seconds to think about getting to my homepage. Worse, whenever I'd log off one user to switch to another, the monitor actually started to go into "no signal" standby for several seconds. No signal? That's kind of scary, since sleep mode is set for much longer than that to occur.

I did exactly what you did, Denis--went through and started unchecking the more invasive optionals, like the advanced disinfection, the constant background scans, and so forth, too try to bring down the CPUsage. Things seem better now, but after reading this thread I'm wondering if this is perhaps a random affliction--one that may be the result of a recent update? Or maybe it has something to do with reports being generated? I haven't gone through to check out those settings yet.

Anyway, so far it's only a nuissance to me. I don't do any gaming, but I can imagine how this could be a problem for those that do. I have a separate computer that is not hooked up to the internet (and hence I don't have to have any AV program for) on which I do the bulk of my work. The computer I'm on now is for internet use mainly, so it's memory is kept pretty sparse (as well I have an external HD that I plug in and unplug each day). Still, I hope this is only a temporary glitch that may be fixed with a future update. Fortunately, I only paid $30 for KIS this time around; it's been $80 a shot in the past. The shelf-talker at the store said it was $50 off but I suspect it is a manufacturers markdown because of new programs, like Kaspersky ONE, which are all inclusive for tablets and such. (Although I really hope desktops don't go the way of the dodo one day, as I hatehatehate portables. To me desks are for working at, not subways, bus stops, malls, or *shudder* dashboards of cars. On that note, I'm disappointed that Windows 8 is all geared toward tablets and there is no separate desktop version.)

Yesterday the system watcher (klavasyswatch.dll) was updated silently by one of the regular data base updates. As a consequence on many computers the start of applications (e.g. explorers, Word, text editors) was significantly slowed down.

To all users with computers affected by slow-downs since yesterday: Please restart the computer as proposed by the Kaspersky experts. This procedure will bring back the former performance.

I agree with slowness. I am using a XP and now opening Word 2003 on my SSD drive takes almost a minute even with Application control turned off. What is up with this latest update

This is not good. I got this computer from my sister-in-law less than one week ago, it came with Trend Micro Titanium IS, & though it was slow at first, after installing a 128GB M4 SSD & upping the RAM to 6GB, it was running fantastic. My only concern was the security installed.

I have two other computers running Windows 8 Pro (dual booting with Windows 7, all OS's 64 bit), the reason that I selected KIS 2013 was because NOD32 was not running properly on Windows 8 Pro. After consulting with AV-Comparatives, I seen that Kaspersky was awarded the top trophy in 2011 & was in a dead tie with BitDefender in 2012. Tiebreaker went to BitDefender because they had never won the gold. At any rate, KIS 2013 has ran great on Windows 8 Pro. But Windows 8 isn't my "go to" OS, & won't be until SP1 (or an equivalent update) is released. It was the same with XP Pro, I didn't use Windows 7 for things of prime importance until SP1 was released & installed (just in time to file 2010 taxes).

So in reality, Kaspersky has led the pack for two solid years, what about 2013 caused the stumble? As soon as I uninstalled TM Titanium & installed KIS 2013 (in Trial mode) on Windows 7 x64, the problems began. Noticeably slower at startup, however even more noticeably at shutdown. Only after generating a Windows health report, did I see what is going on. This computer has been in use since 2010, & only after I installed KIS 2013, critical errors (red) in the event viewer showed. All were at startup/shutdown, mainly the excessive length of time. There were others, but that was in 2010. There were also non-critical (yellow) errors in relation to WLAN disconnects since the KIS 2013 install.

I'm now questioning using that 3rd & final computer install out of the 3 pack that I grabbed at Amazon for $18. I used the most of the 30 days of the trial on the Windows 8 Pro installs in searching for a deal, should have used more on this one. Had no idea what was I in store for.

However, I'm also a realist. I realize that no software (paid or free) is 100% correct all of the time. Bugs do creep into software, oftentimes because the rapid improvement cycles. Firefox is a great example of this, the latest may have bugs, but the version behind works fine. Unfortunately, security software shouldn't be ran a version behind, even with the latest virus definitions. There are newer features to get the bad guys & keep us safe & by running say, KIS 2012, we'd be missing out on vital features. The hardline crooks have likely already found ways around 2011 & 2012 versions.

What I want to know is, just how much risk am I placing myself in by disabling System Watcher? Is it the same as disabling HIPS in ESET's offerings? Obviously, this has to be a vital component of KIS 2013, because by disabling SW, all options on the page are shaded. Windows 7 is the OS that I use for banking, making online purchases, filing taxes, any & all items of importance. Plus, Windows 7 is the single most used OS on the planet. A fact that no software corporation of any type can ignore.

And why has Kaspersky left us in the dark about this? They do have a notification system, believe me I know. When I was running KIS 2013 in Trial mode, I was being informed daily through notifications that time was running out, even after only a couple of days. So why not use that same system to alert it's user base of what's going on? I realize that this is a forum & not technical support, & being a self help community only, there's only so much that can be done. However, Kaspersky could have averted this outpouring of complaints by alerting it's users, once it was verified there was an issue.

However, technical support will get an earful tomorrow, on the phone if I can get through. This is not a good impression to a first year user & it'll take Kaspersky a lot of work to retain my business when this license runs out (327 days remaining). If it were a free/low cost product & a day or two issue, it'd be understandable, but KIS 2013 is premium priced product, unless one is a smart shopper & hunts for the best possible deal. This is not acceptable for a paid product, if it has gone on for a week or longer.

Does anyone know the true risks of having System Watcher disabled?

Cat

Welcome. The fix for this issue is in the works. Patch G will be pushed out via automatic databases updater, soonish.

You can re-enable System Watcher, and there will be slowness at shut down, and briefly at startup, too. That is my recommendation. But, you can contact Tech Support, and see if they have any different instructions.

Thanks for the welcome, richbuff!

I'm taking it by your post above that Kaspersky is working hard on a solution & that's good to hear. Was going to call Technical Support, however I know how that will go over. Likely, I'll be speaking to someone who speaks broken English at best & be of little, if any help. Kind of like contacting computer OEM's.

In the meantime, I'll re-enable System Watcher & live with the slow boot/shutdown issue, hopefully this is top priority with Kaspersky's engineers. Given the reputation of the brand, I have no doubt that's the case.

One thing for sure, I won't let the issue cause me to run w/o security, as some users does when installing an AV/IS for the first time. I know of users who refuses to run security at all over bugs or slowdowns, & that's totally irresponsible, not only to themselves, but also to neighbors on the same cable service & those whom they send emails to. Sure, any computer will run faster w/o security, but not for long.

Cat

This problem seems not to have been fixed.

I have been using and recommending Kaspersky for many years, based on its protection:efficiency. Overall, my system is running in a far less responsive way (despite having plenty of memory and an SSD). Today I nailed down a huge (~4 second) lag, where the program is totally unresponsive in the meanwhile. Disabling System-watcher removes the lag. You guys have to get this worked out.

Here is a short trace of the lag:

Kaspersky_Lab.rar

Welcome. Please post your GetSystemInfo report link, instructions are located in the sixth (6th) Important topic.

Please see the small print that is located at the bottom of this message.

I run a small business and we have recently observed, like others in this thread (and as widely reported elsewhere on the internet), a sometimes crippling slowdown of our machines when logging into the Windows desktop - the launch of third-party applications will be stalled for several minutes or never happen at all. The problem first reared its ugly head around mid-February of this year - sometimes a given machine will exhibit a fast desktop start-up, other times it will appear to freeze for several minutes. We finally pinned down the problem to Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 (12.0.0.374(I)), which we have installed on all our (Windows 7) machines.

For example, on a 3GHz i7 950 machine with 24GB memory I can sometimes wait 5 or more minutes before the desktop becomes usable - until then it is completely frozen, nothing will respond to mouse-clicks and the task manager will not even launch (in extreme situations I am forced to power-down the machine an perform a cold-start). If the K-icon does happen to eventually appear in the system tray and if I can get the right-click menu to pop-up (which is not always the case) then pausing protection allows other third-party applications that have been stalled by Kaspersky to complete their launch sequence. At which point I can re-enable protection and the system is back to exhibiting normal responsiveness. BTW, running Kaspersky updates and rebooting the system does not cure the problem whatsoever.

After reading this thread I decided to try disabling the System Watcher and, so far, desktop login times are back to normal.

However, it would appear that this problem was first reported by Kaspersky customers many months ago (possibly as far back as early autumn 2012) and it still has not been fixed! The fact that, after so much time has elapsed, customers should continue to be forced into disabling a security feature in order to workaround a fault in Kaspersky's software is deplorable to put it mildly.

Despite the occasional platitude being issued by Kaspersky's support staff that the problem is being investigated, the fact that this situation has continued for so long indicates that the issue is not being given the high priority it deserves! This is a lamentable mistake on the part of Kaspersky, as rumours of poor performance have been spreading like wildfire on the internet (see, for example:http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/021913-kaspersky-266816.html) and this will damage Kaspersky's previously excellent reputation and will drive existing and potential customers away, impacting significantly on product sales.

Unless this problem is fixed very soon, I will be seriously considering, albeit reluctantly, dropping Kaspersky altogether and switching to another vendor, and I suspect I am alone in this!

Edited by science magi

We finally pinned down the problem to Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 (12.0.0.374(I)), which we have installed on all our (Windows 7) machines.

If you still use 2012 version, you should upgrade your application to 2013.

Please download and install the latest Kaspersky 2013:

1. Download the latest 2013 version of Kaspersky

2. Uninstall the older version via Kavremover utility, as described here

3. Install the 2013 version and activate it with your current 20-symbol activation code.

If you still use 2012 version, you should upgrade your application to 2013.

Please download and install the latest Kaspersky 2013:

1. Download the latest 2013 version of Kaspersky

2. Uninstall the older version via Kavremover utility, as described here

3. Install the 2013 version and activate it with your current 20-symbol activation code.

But people in this thread are still reporting the same problem with the 2013 version (e.g. see post #20), so unless Kaspersky have explicitly stated they've squashed this bug (and you can point me to that statement) with all due respect, I fail to see how moving to the latest 2013 version is going to help with this particular issue?

But people in this thread are still reporting the same problem with the 2013 version (e.g. see post #20), so unless Kaspersky have explicitly stated they've squashed this bug (and you can point me to that statement) with all due respect, I fail to see how moving to the latest 2013 version is going to help with this particular issue?

Each case of OS hanging/freezing/crashing has its own reason. Often this is related to specific OS on specific hardware. That's not possible to make a statement with the subject "Why OS freezes?" because amount of reasons is close to amount of user cases.

Your specific reason could be found only after a full diagnostics by tech support.

Thanks.