nadams

all client updates are FAILING, locking up machines

What really worries me right now is Windows Servers. I cannot reboot any server, neither does my costumers. I can't kill avp.exe process even if Self-Defense and Disable External Service disabled.

This is the situation:

errorce9.th.jpg

Update task jammed.

Can't kill avp.exe even without self-defense and external service.

File-Antivirus stopped.

Just great.

Edited by mpsilva

I've had a similar problem on some of my Workstations with the Self-Defense.

KAV was triggering memory errors and memory dumps. All of these workstations were recent upgrades to 6.0.3.837 from 6.0.2.690. I was unable to uninstall them via Add/Remove Programs because it could not stop the services. I finally had to cancel the uninstall, and it tried to rollback. I then uninstalled the network agent and restarted the system. On restart the icon was greyed out and was asking to restart to update a component. I canceled and then re-ran the Uninstall from control panel, this time it completed and I was able to restart again with no problem.

But with No KAV on the system.

Like everyone else all the rest of my systems are currently freaking out. They are all running 6.0.3.8xx.

Tech Support provided me with a utility to fix the issue on desktops but it does not work on servers. I pushed it through tasks with no problem... do the utility first.. then start the app with a start task... then update and the world is happy. Here is what to do...

Can a moderator back me up on these directions so others can fix the issue officially. I CANNOT UPLOAD THE FILE SO YOU ARE.... out of luck

---------------------------------------

Remotely, via Admistration Kit:

1) In Admin console create a package for remote installation based on kl_repaire.sfx.exe

2) Create and apply to problematic computers global/group remote deployment task with created installation package (task must me started under account with administrative privileges on target PC)

3) Create global/group tasks for start of anti-virus application (task will be performed by Kaspersky Network Agent)

4) Run group update task for anti-virus application

5) Delete the utility, the remote installation task and the installation package from all drives

Locally

1) Run utility kl_repaire.sfx.exe on problematic PC

2) Run Anti-Virus application via Start->Programs

3) Start update task of the anti-virus program

4) Delete utility from all drives

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tech Support provided me with a utility to fix the issue on desktops but it does not work on servers. I pushed it through tasks with no problem... do the utility first.. then start the app with a start task... then update and the world is happy. Here is what to do...

Can a moderator back me up on these directions so others can fix the issue officially. I CANNOT UPLOAD THE FILE SO YOU ARE.... out of luck

---------------------------------------

Remotely, via Admistration Kit:

1) In Admin console create a package for remote installation based on kl_repaire.sfx.exe

2) Create and apply to problematic computers global/group remote deployment task with created installation package (task must me started under account with administrative privileges on target PC)

3) Create global/group tasks for start of anti-virus application (task will be performed by Kaspersky Network Agent)

4) Run group update task for anti-virus application

5) Delete the utility, the remote installation task and the installation package from all drives

Locally

1) Run utility kl_repaire.sfx.exe on problematic PC

2) Run Anti-Virus application via Start->Programs

3) Start update task of the anti-virus program

4) Delete utility from all drives

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I received that e-mail too, it didn't work in my server :angry:

Where can I get this utility? kl_repaire.sfx.exe

You're going to have to talk to support or have a moderator put it up... I've tried and it fails no matter what I do.

You're going to have to talk to support or have a moderator put it up... I've tried and it fails no matter what I do.

It's explicit saying that you should not post this in forums.... OMG...

Edited by Igor Kurzin
quoted email was an internal correspondence

For what it is worth, I am in the process of transitioning to Kaspersky. I have Symantec's endpoitn protection still loaded. It has pegged my server CPU and I have had to remove it.

Symantec 11 is a serious problem with no fix in site.

Throw in the recent Kaspersky problem and I have a pretty big mess.

Bob

create a bat file:

del /q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\AVP6\*.dmp

create a new installation package with that bat, then run a task with that installation package

be sure the disable self defense before doing this

edit: corrected bat command

God bless you

Great idea and it seems to work.

I have added also del /q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\*.dmp.

In my case all the DMP files were in "Kaspersky Lab" folder.

:cb_punk:

I received that e-mail too, it didn't work in my server :angry:

Run it locally and it works fine... no reboot required. It took a while to run just be patient.

It's explicit saying that you should not post this in forums.... OMG...

I didn't receive that entire message from my assistant... just the part with the directions... my bad. I've already deleted the tool as they suggested in the directions so I guess it will be up to their PR to distribute the fix appropriately.

Run it locally and it works fine... no reboot required. It took a while to run just be patient.

I did, ms-dos window stay opened for 5 sec and closes automatically, it does absolutely nothing. Not even changes the avp.exe Process ID.

My problem currently is that most of the KAV 6.0 workstations (about 80%) will not accept an update. In fact, most of them will not even synchronize through the admin kit -- even though KAV appears to be running on the station. Remarkably the other 20% seem to be updating and running fine. I can't figure out what makes the difference.

If I start an updates task manually for these non-updating workstations, they may stall out "pending" or "running" doing nothing with the task. Sometimes they stall out running the task at 100% but never actually finishing. Sometimes the updates task will not start at all with or without an error. On a few the start/stop option is greyed out. I've had a few updates that say the correct product is not properly installed, and another small group of stations that gives some a mystery error "cannot start task error 1185-0" or something like that.

If I go to a station, completely uninstall, reboot, push a reinstall and then force an update, it will start working again. But that just isn't a reasonable option with offices scattered all over the U.S.

So... Is there ANY solution for this that can be drilled out through the admin kit?

Looks like we'll continue paying 3x what it would've cost us for Kaspersky, to continue our McAfee subscription. How did they release such a broken update? Rediculous....

Looks like we'll continue paying 3x what it would've cost us for Kaspersky, to continue our McAfee subscription. How did they release such a broken update? Rediculous....

You may wish to consider what should be the selling points to Kaspersky in the first place, one notion which is highlighted here:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/erge...se/report15.pdf

or here:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_02.php

Having the choice between an AV client that misses ~42,000 samples at one point (and is always deficient otherwise in detection rates) as well as apparently more expensive versus a program that in my three years of running it has only had a problem with updates once, an easy decision is cast.

Having the choice between an AV client that misses ~42,000 samples at one point (and is always deficient otherwise in detection rates) as well as apparently more expensive versus a program that in my three years of running it has only had a problem with updates once, an easy decision is cast.
I guess I'd mention two points:

First, I've gone through a couple of enterprise level malware events - one of which required a rather expensive ($7.5k-$10k) repair to a piece of equipment - that was the hardware cost alone - due to Sasser compromising some needed feedback and control communications - and this event seems a bit worse in terms of the anecdotal productivity loss.

Second, in the few years I've used KAV WKS, I've gone through this 3-4 times and the end result is pretty much the same - bad update ties KAV WKS in a knot and recovery is not seemless.

Now, I'm not an enterprise-level user of KAV WKS. My pain was limited to a couple of hours nursing things along until my systems were fixed. It was a rather inconvenient time for these things to occur for a few reasons (e.g. end of semester...) and a couple of the machines were pretty useless for a bit, so I can appreciate the feelings of those folks who had somewhat irate users like myself breathing down their necks.

Given that this has occurred in the past, and the downside potential in an enterprise, it would probably be worthwhile for someone in KL to look at what it would take to create a failsafe mechanism to execute a forced recovery of the system. Although this event has been a little different, there's really only a handful of steps that seem critical in recovering from this type of event. The problem is that some of the obvious steps are actively guarded against, particularly these days.

In any event, in addition to making sure it won't happen again, someone needs to start with the premise that it will happen again and figure out how a large enterprise deployment can rapidly and easily recover if it does happen again.

Blue

Has any one heard from KL ?

I'm still waiting for patch for fixing my workstations.

I hoped it’s going to be matter of hours but I have the feeling now, that we shall not have it before the beginning of next week...

:angry:

Edited by Goldy

I'm coming into posting to this thread late. I'm a small site, 4 workstations and came to this forum for a solution. By the time I came here, the suggestion of doing a manual update followed by reboot of the workstation was posted. For us at least, it worked. I recognize that this isn't an option for larger sites or 24/7 servers but I can confirm that the workaround does work.

Two days after the disaster and nothing from KL.

I have called today to Kaspersky support in my country - They didn't even knew about it.

It seems Kaspersky even didn't bother to inform there worldwide group about this crisis.

I’m sorry, but that’s a very big disappointment and far from behavior of serious company.

Well, in the beginning of February my license expire any way.

Edited by Goldy

I have called today to Kaspersky support in my country - They didn't even knew about it.

It seems Kaspersky even didn't bother to inform there worldwide group about this crisis.

I’m sorry, but that’s a very big disappointment and far from behavior of serious company.

What country are you from?

Tech Support provided me with a utility to fix the issue on desktops but it does not work on servers.

This utility can help you only if Kaspersky AV 6.0 for Windows Servers is located in the standard folder - "%ProgramFiles%\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 for Windows Servers\.

What folder have you installed Kaspersky AV 6.0 for Windows Servers in?

I recommend you reboot the server - it is the more simplest way to resolve the problem.

To Natalia Pasynkova

I have Three questions please:

1. When we can expect an organizational fix for the problem (locally fix is out of the question).

2. How can I stop the DMP files?

I don't need them and they gave me allot of trouble during last year.

In some of my computer it grows like cancer to monsters size of several GB.

It should be stopped as default, with an option to turn it on in case you need it.

3. Where can I get the utility to fix the issue.

Thanks.

Edited by Goldy

It is out of the question - all KL subdivisions are informed immediately of such issues.

Please provide me an SRF number if you submited a ticket to technical support in your Personal Cabinet, I will see why you were not assisted.

All, please contact technical support if you need the utility. It will not be distributed via the forum, unfortunately.

My machines have been turned off for the weekend. Is it safe to turn them on now?

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.