MillTech

KES10 PC slowdown tracked to File Antivirus module

We have rolled out KES10 to a few machines on the network and several of their users have been complaining that accessing NAS devices on the network has become ridiculously slow. Also, several of them have reported that getting access to the control panels for several of our network printers has also become very slow.

With some trial and error we have tracked the problem down to the File Anti-Virus module. Disabling this in KSC10 has fixed both these problems for our users.

Now, my questions are

1) Is anybody else seeing this behaviour?

2) Any idea what we should set the module to so that it is still operational but having minimal impact on these two processes?

Thanks

Tim

If you disable file-antivirus, then you effectively disable all protection as file system protection is the main and last line of protection. You can test if switching off "All network drives" in file-antivirus general settings helps (as NAS too have filesystem support and may intrigue KES8/10), there is no need for endpoint protection to check all available disks in network.

That is the problem, I don't want to run with file antivirus turned off as I realise its a good thing to have.

I already have "all network drives" turned off.

With file antivirus enabled a file access can take 20 seconds from the NAS device, whereas with it disabled it takes less than a second.

If playing with other file anti-virus settings (heuristic or scan mode switch) does not help, then i suggest to try downgrade to most stable version of business products for now:

http://support.kaspersky.com/wks6mp4#downloads

This old protection product supports any type of business grade licenses (new type licenses too) and have least compatibility problems

I think we may have "fixed" it. We have turned off "All Removable Drives" in the protection scope and set the Scan mode to "On Execution" and everything seems to be running at normal speeds.

I think we may have "fixed" it. We have turned off "All Removable Drives" in the protection scope and set the Scan mode to "On Execution" and everything seems to be running at normal speeds.

Hi, I see that you've found a "workaround", but still this causes certain leaks in the whole protection. Would you be able to collect product traces on an affected machine without disabling file antivirus for any drives? It would be helpful for us to investigate the issue.

Hi, I see that you've found a "workaround", but still this causes certain leaks in the whole protection. Would you be able to collect product traces on an affected machine without disabling file antivirus for any drives? It would be helpful for us to investigate the issue.

Good day team. My experience with this variant of KSC has also met those sluggish PC syndromes as well as one other scary symptom........in some cases, when a user has opened a desktop file and is editing it (be it in word, excel etc), at the point where the user attempts to save the file back to the desktop, two things happen: 1) the entire set of desktop icons disappears save for the recycle bin and 2) the file s/he's trying to save gives an error like (the location ......Desktop is no longer valid). I am more than willing to provide product traces on a sample machine if only you show me how.

Edited by Oh! Crap

Good day team. My experience with this variant of KSC has also met those sluggish PC syndromes as well as one other scary symptom........in some cases, when a user has opened a desktop file and is editing it (be it in word, excel etc), at the point where the user attempts to save the file back to the desktop, two things happen: 1) the entire set of desktop icons disappears save for the recycle bin and 2) the file s/he's trying to save gives an error like (the location ......Desktop is no longer valid). I am more than willing to provide product traces on a sample machine if only you show me how.

Hello!

How to collect traces:

http://support.kaspersky.com/9343

Thank You!

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.