Sign in to follow this  
SAJFLAD

Loads of IE9 outgoing data

Hi

In the 'Network Activity Monitor', a few days ago on a particular day I noticed that data usage for IE9 was approx 350MB incoming and 200MB outgoing.

This seems strange considering I had not uploaded any data myself e.g. email attachments. Full scans using kaspersky 2013 and Malwarebytes found no malware. Another day usage was 166.3MB incoming and 90MB outgoing (256.3MB total). So far today its been 13.1MB incoming and 7.4MB outgoing.

Therefore, the thing that's concerning me is the amount of outgoing data. I'm not uploading anything myself so I don't understand why IE9 is sending out so much data? Does this seem to be malware activity or is this something that e.g. IE9 does of its own accord as part of its normal operation and is there any way I can stop outgoing data using kasp 2013 unless I allow it?

help please.

GSI http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...0e1c5c20ab0d203

Edited by totallybaffled

As well as the outgoing data problem above, I noticed this all started since seeing a problem in vulnerability scan.

Running the scan a few days ago, 3 vulnerabilities were detected. clicking on detected vulnerabilities showed only 2 vulnerabilities in 'system vulnerabilities' with none in vulnerable applications - no vulnerabilities had been detected or fixed prior to that as everything has been reinstalled on the PC. the 2 vulnerabilities showing were fixed but this still leaves a third not showing up anywhere.

I ran vulnerability scan again which this time detected 1 vulnerability. clicking on detected vulnerabilities shows nothing in sytem vulnerabilities or vulnerable applications. clicking 'show fixed vulnerabilities' does show the two fixed ones but of course, where is the third one. it could be that this vulnerability is related to the huge outgoing data problem.

any help please?

The screenshot gives an example of my network traffic today, using IE9 and Firefox.

post-442040-1354565161_thumb.jpg

It can be seen that for both browsers the outgoing data amount is approx 50% of the incoming data amount.

I can't understand why the outgoing amount for the explorers is so high - why have outgoing data / why so high, etc?

I was hoping that other users could check their network traffic monitors and see what sort of percentages they have. Perhaps my value is normal (approx 50%) or maybe its excessive; values from other users would help clarify if this is a problem or not, so could other users please have a look at report back.

Also, I was hoping that moderators could suggest if the outgoing traffic could be controlled by using e.g. application control or the firewall.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by totallybaffled

My figures are 109 MB incoming and 15 MB outgoing for today on firefox. I don't use IE so cannot give comparative figures.

The web uses handshake data packet transfer. This means for every packet of data received by your pc you are sending data for pretty much every action you take on the web in the browser and not just file transfers or sending emails. So the figures you see are not necessarily abnormal depending on how data intensive the sites you frequent are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol

Savilion - thanks for that, yours is much lower than mine (approx 14%) although it seems, as Antikythera suggests, this all depends upon the sites visited. I will be interested in other users %'s as a matter of interest for comparison, if people would like to comment.

Antikythera - thanks for your reply. I am still amazed that so much data is going out of the PC. This leads to obvious questions such as what is contained within this outgoing data, where is it all going and what's being done with it?

These aside, considering data usage allowances for Broadband packages and my 50% value, this suggests that for a 10GB data allowance (combining incoming and outgoing), on average, approx 6.66GB of data will be incoming with 3.33GB outgoing (approx 10GB total). Suddenly, a 10GB allowance doesn't seem so big.

To help increase the amount I can have incoming, by decreasing the amount of outgoing (i.e. lower the % such as shown by Savilions %), so I can surf more and stay within my data allowance, can the outgoing amount be reduced somehow through e.g. application control or the firewall?

Thanks

Edited by totallybaffled

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.