jzemla

Security Center detects MacOS client as Linux

Kaspersky Security Center version 9.2.69

Our MacOS client is being detected as a Linux OS, and database updates are not being pushed to it. Please advise.

QxuVT.png

From what I can tell, it has to do with a change to how the newer OSX versions of samba talks to the windows network. So far the only workaround I've found is removing and reinstalling the network agent on the Mac clients; but even that only fixes it for about a week.

I saw somewhere else on the forums that there is a fix in the works for it but can't find the post; my original account here (which had the thread marked) was inexplicably locked, and the admins don't seem to answer emails.

I had some time to poke around, and found that this computer was listed twice in the Unmanaged Computers list (one with the FQDN and one with just the NetBIOS name). It seems that the FQDN listing is correctly detected.

K5h6w.png

Try this workaround (Mac OS 10.7-10.8 only):

1) Enter terminal as a super-user:

sudo su

2) Create a backup of the legacy smb.conf:

mv /var/db/smb.conf /var/db/smb.conf.bak

3) Add a new smb.conf file to be parsed by network agent, changing the netbiosmachinename for the desired windows name:

echo "[global]\nnetbios name = netbiosmachinename" > /var/db/smb.conf

4) Give it the necessary permissions:

chmod 644 /var/db/smb.conf

5) Reboot the machine.

6) Restart the Administration server console.

The windows name of the machine should change shortly after.

Hi,

is there a workaround for MAC OS 10.6 too?

In this case the client is detected by the Security Center as an Unix system.

post-429527-1353502171_thumb.jpg

I saw somewhere else on the forums that there is a fix in the works for it but can't find the post; my original account here (which had the thread marked) was inexplicably locked, and the admins don't seem to answer emails.

Maybe from my post?.... http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showt...2847&hl=mac

Vitaly, ANY UPDATE?

Edited by slburke

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.