andreasH

KAV 6 and OpenOffice

I am posting here our Problems with KAV 6 for Win Wks and OpenOffice 3; among with the steps we have taken together with Kaspersky Support so far. If someone has seen similar problems, please report.

Since our switch from OpenOffice.org 2.4 to 3 2 weeks ago, OO randomly crashes when closing/saving a file. On some machines, this happens twice a day, on other 15 times and more. We managed to narrow this down to a combination of Windows 2000, OpenOffice and KAV by doing a fresh install of just these three components (among with all current Windows Updates) and reproducing the problem. All three parts were of course at the latest version.

Even worse, deactivating (stopping) KAV does not help, only renaming klif.sys to make sure it does not load or a complete deinstallation will fix the problem.

I now wonder if this is such a rare combination. I cannot imagine there is no one out there using KAV and OpenOffice, so I suspect the problematic part might be Win 2000.

We also found out in the meantime that KAV for Home Users 2010 as well as KAV 8 Beta do not have the problem, apparently because they are using a completely new engine.

Any reports are welcome!

Andreas

Since our switch from OpenOffice.org 2.4 to 3 2 weeks ago, OO randomly crashes when closing/saving a file. ... We managed to narrow this down to a combination of Windows 2000, OpenOffice and KAV by doing a fresh install of just these three components (among with all current Windows Updates) and reproducing the problem. All three parts were of course at the latest version.

Hello, lots of KAV WKS + OpenOffice here (both 2.4.2 and 3.1.0, previously 3.0.1). However, all of them run on XPP and no problems of the described kind.

Do you experience crashes when saving files locally (on NTFS or FAT?) or over the network (which network file system)? NTFS is "a little bit different" between W2K and WXP, IIRC.

Hello, lots of KAV WKS + OpenOffice here (both 2.4.2 and 3.1.0, previously 3.0.1). However, all of them run on XPP and no problems of the described kind.

Do you experience crashes when saving files locally (on NTFS or FAT?) or over the network (which network file system)? NTFS is "a little bit different" between W2K and WXP, IIRC.

We are saving both locally and remote, though locally means mostly FAT32-formatted USB flash drives. Crashes occur in both cases.

I remember there were heavy problems specifically with FAT (corrupted files/unable to save); the initial reaction of the Kaspersky Labs was "migrate to NTFS, FAT is totally obsolete" until pointed to the existence of memory sticks ;-).

I remember there were heavy problems specifically with FAT (corrupted files/unable to save); the initial reaction of the Kaspersky Labs was "migrate to NTFS, FAT is totally obsolete" until pointed to the existence of memory sticks ;-).

Interesting... :dash1:

But for this specific problem, I was able to reproduce it with local files on an NTFS drive.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.