I'll get rid of KAV right now! :D

Seriously, it is the retrospective/proactive test. Nothing to be concerned for.

Wait for the on-demand comparative test with KAV 6 ;)

That test used KAV Pro v5 so it's to be expected I suppose. It'd be interesting to see what results would be gained with v6.

I'll get rid of KAV right now! :D

Seriously, it is the retrospective/proactive test. Nothing to be concerned for.

Wait for the on-demand comparative test with KAV 6 ;)

I am having trouble wondering why this particular test is dismissed so easily. I know essentially zero about it, but if I understand they take 3 month old AV definitions, and then see if they can detect malware less than 3 months. That would measure the effectiveness of the AV without signatures, and would depend on the heuristics.

If that is correct, then is it not similar to detecting zero day exploits? I realize also that it is detecting malware already on the computer, and KAV for instance might detect it and prevent infection.

Am I close? If so, then isn't the Retro test of some value?

I admit that I would hate to depend upon a detection rate of 58% to protect me.

Can someone explain the usefulness or not of the test?

Thanks,

Jerry

IMO v5 results are equally as important, if not more important than v6 results because 1) v5 will NOT be discontinued

and

2) v6 is still fresh and some ppl are still sticking to v5 until v6 is tweaked and fine tuned a little better.

IMO i find the test results 'disappointing'.

Do not worry guys, the ultimate test is going to be on your machine when you install the product ;)

Do not worry guys, the ultimate test is going to be on your machine when you install the product ;)

thats exactly my point.

u dont buy a house and wait to test it when the hurricane comes.

u gather info and ask ppl about the house and hurricanes before u pay the money.

You research into the area, the same way you research AV products. :)

thats exactly my point.

u dont buy a house and wait to test it when the hurricane comes.

u gather info and ask ppl about the house and hurricanes before u pay the money.

Loosecannon et all!

How many AV's with 3 months old signatures do you see around? Frankly i cannot see why anyone would take this test so "serious"!

Food for thought: I have used all the AV's in the "top" of this test and one of the top 3 is the only AV ever to infect me three times, so a lot will depend on you ever getting infected with so called zeroday malware, i personally have never met any, but have often been visited by trojans/trojandownloaders. A lot will depend on such an infection, like the fact that your ISP most likely detecting such malware.

Btw. If it's of any consolation, then Kaspersky is currently developing a new heuristics module.

Loosecannon et all!

How many AV's with 3 months old signatures do you see around? Frankly i cannot see why anyone would take this test so "serious"!

Food for thought: I have used all the AV's in the "top" of this test and one of the top 3 is the only AV ever to infect me three times, so a lot will depend on you ever getting infected with so called zeroday malware, i personally have never met any, but have often been visited by trojans/trojandownloaders. A lot will depend on such an infection, like the fact that your ISP most likely detecting such malware.

Btw. If it's of any consolation, then Kaspersky is currently developing a new heuristics module.

That sounds nice Don, please let us know when u got more info on that new heuristic module (when it will be realesed ect.) B)

Although I can understand that they have used KAV5 because KAV6 was not officially released at the beginning of the test, I will just ignore the results as KAV6 is the version that we use/will use and there are apparent differences between v5 and v6 in terms of proactive defense.

I agree w/ Whizard: Do not worry guys, the ultimate test is going to be on your machine when you install the product :)

Edited by Signum

Loosecannon et all!

Blackspear at Wilders takes it VERY SERIOUSLY! So much so that he called me a troll for saying the test is ALMOST worthless and disabled most of my account options at Wilders.

Why would I care what an AV would do with old sigs? Why would I care how fast you could push a car with no gas?

I guess NOD32 would be better than Kaspersky if you choose to download the trial and never have any updates past 30 days! :lol:

"It's Official KIS 6.0.300 Sucks"

This is okay according to Blackspear at Wilders.

This is not:

Originally Posted by Ailric

"If you're going to be a fanboy, might as well be a fanboy for the very best... thanks!"

"No more trolling please, this is the NOD32 SUPPORT Forum."

Is there any site that shows comparision of antispywares like spybot,windows defender,etc.

No, this test is just fine and using 3 months old signatures is just a testing method (it's the only way).

Lets face it, KAV scan heuristics are nothing to brag about and no one really knows how good PDM is. So far i got just 1 sample that was detected by PDM (the one which failed all rollback proceedures), while i know NOD32 detected hundreds of samples with heuristics and stuff.

This test clearly shows that if KAV guys want to stay elite, they'll have to tweak the engine. Static unpackers and killing pace of adding signatures still works but it won't for much longer. It's just a matter of time actually...

Honestly i think AVIRA guys achieved the best results among all with tech they have in their scan engine. Kaspersky Lab is certanly capable of better results, yet they don't deliver them.

No, this test is just fine and using 3 months old signatures is just a testing method (it's the only way).

Lets face it, KAV scan heuristics are nothing to brag about and no one really knows how good PDM is. So far i got just 1 sample that was detected by PDM (the one which failed all rollback proceedures), while i know NOD32 detected hundreds of samples with heuristics and stuff.

This test clearly shows that if KAV guys want to stay elite, they'll have to tweak the engine. Static unpackers and killing pace of adding signatures still works but it won't for much longer. It's just a matter of time actually...

Honestly i think AVIRA guys achieved the best results among all with tech they have in their scan engine. Kaspersky Lab is certanly capable of better results, yet they don't deliver them.

Thank you for not being afraid to tell the truth. I'm unhappy with KAV's performance on this test and you are entirely correct when you state that " Static unpackers and killing pace of adding signatures still works but it won't for much longer. It's just a matter of time actually." That new heuristics engine KAV is working on had better be good and be available relatively soon. I think KAV is fine for NOW but next year, without a superior heuristics engine I will go elsewhere.

All of you saying that you are glad this test was done with KAV 5.0 and you think KAV 6.0 would perform better, well, I hate to tell you this but the author of the test told me that KAV 5.0 and 6.0 would test the same. It doesn't matter that 5.0 was used:

"as the retrospective test is done on-demand and not on-execution, KAV5 and KAV6 do score identical in this test. The only difference between 5 and 6 is that the behaviourblocker is available only in version 6."

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16177676#16181450

"It's Official KIS 6.0.300 Sucks"

This is okay according to Blackspear at Wilders.

This is not:

Originally Posted by Ailric

"If you're going to be a fanboy, might as well be a fanboy for the very best... thanks!"

"No more trolling please, this is the NOD32 SUPPORT Forum."

Ailric what do you expect on a NOD forum populated by many NOD resellers! KAV/KAV users are public enemy no. 1 and need to be shot down at every opportunity.

The knives will be out for VBA32 now!

Ailric what do you expect on a NOD forum populated by many NOD resellers! KAV/KAV users are public enemy no. 1 and need to be shot down at every opportunity.

The knives will be out for VBA32 now!

Blackcat, I sure learned my lesson! :unsure: I've been a NOD32 subscriber and booster for 2 years. In one thread I said KAV was better than NOD32 and I get crucified!

KAV is the best, but that's not just my opinion. Every major (legit) test for the last 4 years has KAV beating every AV going back to version 3.

AV Comparatives

Rokop

Virus.gr

Is there any site that shows comparision of antispywares like spybot,windows defender,etc.

The site you linked to, is definitely not a trusted site, comrace and therefore removed. :)

Edited by Don Pelotas

NOD32 vs KAV 6...the endless story...time to put an end so that I can kick something on Wilders ;).

So...for Blackspear...just one question? Why do the moderators here allow users talking about KAV vs. NOD32 and you don't? What's the matter? Afraid your AV gets only the second place? Who cares about heuristics when you have updates more than 12 times a day compared to 1 or 2? Ha?

Edited by FadeToBlack

I'm disappointed on this test because:

1) KAV 5 used instead of KAV 6

2) Then why use a database antivirus if this is not important (!!!)

i can see that some ppl have taken and understood what i posted in the wrong way. i am not advocating any other AV over KAV and am not saying "comeon ppl its time to put nod32 on ur systems instead of KAV". i am still using KAV till now and i havent even downloaded the trial version of nod32 but i do expect better from KAV ... and am sure all of u here expect better too. i am just concerned cause according to the results on av comparatives i feel KAV is either not moving forward in the pace it used to or maybe it is but the other AVs are moving forward in a faster pace. Either way, KAV developers owe it to themselves - if not to us users - to show the AV market what they are really capable of.

I see the results as a danger sign on the road ahead .... not 'a time to switch tracks'. And i hope something positive comes out of the results cause i - and am sure lots of u - dont want to switch tracks.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.