I am new in this forum and also to world of computing/it stuff. I am having the following problem with my computer:
I want to view hidden and system files on the Windows XP SP2 and for this purpose I am going to Tools/Folder Options/View and removing tick from Hide Protected operating system files and checking Show hidden files and folders
option. But the windows doesn't show me them anyway. I have checked once again view settings and noticed that the system automatically checks the Hide hidden files and folders option.
I have scanned my computer with the russian version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 220.127.116.111 and it found several infected areas with Worm.Win32.VB.el and several files like sal.xls.exe. I gave a permission to kaspersky to delete all the things that it finds as a virus. By the way, I have scanned with yesterdays update of the kaspersky virus bases. The kaspersky successfully finished its work. There were no items put into the quarantine. But the problem of not viewing hidden files still remains.
After Kaspersky scan there was one more problem whenever I tried to open my disk drives. I know that things like sal.xls.exe, copy.exe or recycler/info.exe (they are hidden files and they were all present on my computer in some times) creates files like hidden autorun.ifi that is text file containing things like that:
The problem would be solved if just deleted this file but I couldn't view the hidden files. Than i have googled it on the web and found two more ways to enable viewing hidden files:
1) Total Commander using this I have deleted autorun.ifi
2)Unhide files by going to Start->Run and type in regsvr32 /u occache.dll and hit OK. Rehide files - Start->Run and type in regsvr32 occache.dll and hit OK.
this way didn't work. The windows gave a message box with action was performed successfully text.
Research and Actions Done
I have googled the suggestions on removing registry entries done by sal.xls.exe on http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyc...VB.CII&VSect=Sn
and deleted entries:
MsServer = "msfir80.exe" in HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Run
IMJPMIG8.2 = "msime80.exe" in
but the topic problem still remains
To format hard disc and reinstall the windows
or To update windows that will itself recorrect the
1) Is there any way to fix this problem without employing radical solutions and how can I do that please be as much detailed as possible?
2) Why 2 alternative way of unhiding files using start -> run doesn't work for my case?
3) In my C and D drives I have found the Recycler folder it contains this folder S-1-5-21-583907252-2147030267-725345543-1008 and this folder itself contains several folders. Is it smth like recycler on my desktop or is it a virus that
is stated earlier as recycler/info.exe? Do I need it? I have deleted it will this cause any problems?
4) What is System Volume Information folder on the disk drives I am an administrator but cannot access it?
I hope for the quick reply!!!