Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Can't Uninstall Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
formans_oh
Helllo, I'm having major problems with Kaspersky Anti-virus. It will not load automatically when Windows XP starts, I get a security alert from XP saying it's turned off. There is no small icon in the system tray. I cannot start the program manually.

I tried uninstalling, but I get an error message saying I must exit the program.

I don't know what to do. Please advise.
Support_Mike
What product/version are you running? Are you installing KAV after having uninstalled another AV program? If so, which one? I apologize for not having a machine available right now with WIN XP SP 2 installed, (I HATE SP2) but I am somewhat familiar with the Security Center... is there an option you can locate that disables the Security Center from monitoring your AV? If so can you try this, reboot and see how things go?

If worse comes to worse you can open msconfig (from Start-Run) and remove KAV from the startup items, reboot, uninstall and then see what we can do from there.

My guess is that Norton was previously installed and there are nasty skid marks left behind... just a hunch though, I've been wrong before, LOTS :-)
formans_oh
Thanks for the advice. No, I have never had Norton on my machine. There are no other antivirus programs installed. I just turned off the security alert, I'm going to reboot and see what happens. It's very frustrating, because I want to scan my PC because I suspect there is maybe a virus that's causing the problem... All of a sudden, at the same time frame, my printer prints SUPERSLOW to the point where it's not really usable. I just want to scan my computer for viruses but I can't because Kaspersky won't start and I can't unintall and reinstall. Thanks again.

QUOTE(Support_Mike @ Apr 14 2005, 05:26 PM)
What product/version are you running? Are you installing KAV after having uninstalled another AV program? If so, which one? I apologize for not having a machine available right now with WIN XP SP 2 installed, (I HATE SP2) but I am somewhat familiar with the Security Center... is there an option you can locate that disables the Security Center from monitoring your AV? If so can you try this, reboot and see how things go?

If worse comes to worse you can open msconfig (from Start-Run) and remove KAV from the startup items, reboot, uninstall and then see what we can do from there.

My guess is that Norton was previously installed and there are nasty skid marks left behind... just a hunch though, I've been wrong before, LOTS :-)
Support_Mike
I would restart in Safe Mode and run a scan then. You may have to run an object scan of your hard drive, you may not be able to run an On-Demand scan in safe mode.
oracledba
you inicated you wanted to un-install & reinstall kaspersky.

you might want to review this link for a manual option to removing kaspersky...

http://www.ice-kav.com/downloads/util/KAV_Registry_Clean.zip
Support_Mike
Oracle,

Did you see my post on http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi? We gotta be careful using these registry cleaner tools. The only supported way to use the registry cleaner is to run it following a successful uninstall via Add/Remove programs, unless directed by KAV Support, (or me if I talk to them smile.gif )

Your a good dude Oracle, even though the Informix Database kicked Oracles butt when it was around! smile.gif

Former Dial-Up engineer with Informix...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.