John M

What is C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe?

Hello:

I wish I could tell what files are being reported by Pro-active protection. So many suspicious activities most of which I am sure is just my laptop doing what it should. However the one anoying repeat is this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

what is it and why is it a suspicious activity? It is trying to alter or enter a module. the repitition leads me to believe it is a normal procedure and I should create a rule or send it to the trusted zone.

Yes or no?

John M

win XP Home 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

ccleaner

reg supreme

Kasper [the friendly AV :-) ] 7.0

wuauclt.exe is a process managing automatic updates for Microsoft Windows. This process continuously checks for the latest updates and uses the Internet to do so. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Have you enabled the Apllication integrity control in the proactive defense? if yes, then you should disable it..............it's only for advanced users. Furthermore 8.0 is released and you should install this.....a newer build will be released of this in the next few weeks and you should try this...................this way: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=67812

wuauclt.exe is a process managing automatic updates for Microsoft Windows. This process continuously checks for the latest updates and uses the Internet to do so. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Have you enabled the Apllication integrity control in the proactive defense? if yes, then you should disable it..............it's only for advanced users. Furthermore 8.0 is released and you should install this.....a newer build will be released of this in the next few weeks and you should try this...................this way: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=67812

Thanks Don

Went there. Did that... Got the new version loaded but safely stored till I remove Kav7. Kav 7 is still on board even though I used the removal tool. The command prompt will not recognise the command C:\>kavrmover9.exe kav7. Kav7 is now partially removed with file protection failed, can't access definitions, and the removal tool says kav7 is gone. Manual delete from explorer will not allow deletion.

What have I done....... :unsure: ?

John

I have exactly the same problem. I posted this in a separate topic several days ago and got no response.

I have followed all instructions and at presant am opperating with only part of kav7 left even though there is no sign of it in add/remove and it has gone from the program list in Start.

I can no longer remove even manualy what is left of kav7

John M

Thanks Don

Went there. Did that... Got the new version loaded but safely stored till I remove Kav7. Kav 7 is still on board even though I used the removal tool. The command prompt will not recognise the command C:\>kavrmover9.exe kav7. Kav7 is now partially removed with file protection failed, can't access definitions, and the removal tool says kav7 is gone. Manual delete from explorer will not allow deletion.

What have I done....... :unsure: ?

John

Make a new shortcut on the desktop and browse to cmd.exe in the system 32 folder, now rightclick on the icon and set it in "Start in" to C:\...................use the shortcult and now enter the command to the remover which you should place in the root of C:\. It should of course be done with 8.0 uninstalled....or use both commands with 2009 first.

Download a fresh copy of it:http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

Sorry for the confusion. What am I to do when I get no reply to my topic of same problem and I find someone else is answered. When I start my own thread, Don deletes it and poilitly scolds me for starting a new thread when it is already being disscussed elsewhere unknown to me. You're confused?

Here is The file I am supposed to send to the parser. I have tried several times to upload it and the proccess freezes. Perhaps you can do better sending it.

What is really anoying is that all the solutions I'm offerd require that my unprotected computer spend a huge amount of time ON LINE!

the problem is EXACTLY like the one in the thread you moved me from.

Looks like you don't get the file! It appears to have problems uploading.... it seems to have frozen again.

what now?

John M

Oh...Hi Don... didn't know you had posted while I was getting frozen in France. It took a while... I will try you sugestion.

Edited by John M

I should have read your post more fully before I ran off to follow it....

I'm still confused:

You said: Make a new shortcut ( of the remover?) on the desktop and browse to cmd.exe in the system 32 folder, (I found cmd) now rightclick on the icon(which icon?cmd?) and set it in "Start in" (this option, "Start In", is nowhere to be seen right clicking anything) to C:\................... use the shortcult and now enter the command to the remover which you should place in the root of C:\. It should of course be done with 8.0 uninstalled....or use both commands with 2009 first.

If I knew what you mean by set it in "Start In" I could get this done.

John M

Jesus, you had a bad morning...;).i didn't removed anything, richbuff however has merged your threads since you made a new one................and for that you should be scolded! :) Always stay in your thread when you have one.

No, simply rightclick on the desktop and choose make a new shortcut, then use browse in that window to find cmd.exe in the system 32 folder finish making the shortcult. then rigtclick on the new shortcut on the desktop, select properties and in "Start in" set it to: C:\

Jesus, you had a bad morning...;).i didn't removed anything, richbuff however has merged your threads since you made a new one................and for that you should be scolded! :) Always stay in your thread when you have one.

No, simply rightclick on the desktop and choose make a new shortcut, then use browse in that window to find cmd.exe in the system 32 folder finish making the shortcult. then rigtclick on the new shortcut on the desktop, select properties and in "Start in" set it to: C:\

I did say I was confused, didn't I.

Thank you for your patience..... I will stay in my thread

I right click my desk top and the only options I get are to adjust the screen saver/resolution/theme ets. no Create a Shortcut or Browse

Is there a entry listed that says "New"? GSI may help, too. Instructions are in post #5 of this thread.

Refresh, Undo delete, Properties are available.

Paste, Paste Shortcut are faded as in not accessable

I tried GSI yesterday and the parser site froze three times trying to get the URL to pass on to you.,

I will try again now.

I have been at this for over two hours.

Couldn't get on the parser site or this site or any site

did a full scan which took over two hours....nothing detected

got back to parser site /....same thing...... it takes my report and then opens a new page and freezes.

I believe I reported this freeze issue that back in post seven.

How do I get rid of Kav7 and load kav8? Please?

Are you serious?

that's where I started and got into all this trouble.

I have been trying to get answers for days now and I'm no farther ahead.

no one has said I'm not providing enough info

I cannot uninstal Kav7 using the instructions you send me to

the removal tool denies the very real presance of Kav7 on my computer

Command prompt will not recognize the command

There is nothing on my desk top resembling anything like the directions offered in post 6 through 9

the parser site freezes

I am stuck between one version I cannot get rid of and another I cannot use.

Next step is to figure out how to complete Don's instructions that he posted in posts #6 and #9, because the removal tool has some work to do. When I right click on my desktop in Vista, I select New > shortcut. I don't remember XP (been almost two years) but it is mostly the same. See: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/shortcuts1.htm Scroll down a little bit to the "The right-click “New” function".

How can this get into 17 post count territory is beyond..........?................if you don't have the possibility to rightclick on the desktop, then click on new and then shortcut.

Then your windows install is messed up and all bets are off .....of course and that might be why the removal tool wont even recognize KAV being installed.

Sorry guys but my desktop right click is about wallpaper screen resolution etc and that is all

wait.....

ofercryinoutloud......... :o

I've been shrinking all open windows and going to my "naked" descktop and right clicking

I just checked richbuff's link and rightclicked that page......oh jeezus.... do i feel stupid.... :wacko:

are we all learning something here?

back soon

ok

i have 2 menus:

one from r/c center screen with "create shortcut" but is only to make a s/c for this particular page on the d/top

another from the lower ico tray which is not allowing what I need.

nothing like the XP link richbuff gave is showing up

I found it here:

R/C icon tray, choose "Open Folder", this opens Quick Launch window, chose "Folders", browse for your target and R/C it, choose "Send To", > desk top >

then R/C the new s/c, remove everything from the "Start In" option except C:\

I added the command "kavremover9 kav7 to look like this........C:\kavremover9 kav7 No good. Left it as C:\ and opened the prompt and added the command there and

it won't recognise it

I found it here:

R/C icon tray, choose "Open Folder", this opens Quick Launch window, chose "Folders", browse for your target and R/C it, choose "Send To", > desk top >

then R/C the new s/c, remove everything from the "Start In" option except C:\

I added the command "kavremover9 kav7 to look like this........C:\kavremover9 kav7 No good. Left it as C:\ and opened the prompt and added the command there and

it won't recognise it

you need to go to your desktop this is the screen you see with your icons on after start up right click on this window (on a blank space)and the second line up should be new click this it should bring up new box the next one you want to click is shortcut Second from top click this and you should get a new box opened with a browse to, and then follow Dons instructions if you cannot get to this you may have a corrupt windows installation as Don says

Thanks westray1234

Then corrupt it must be.

Right click does only as I discribe.

I will get my CD out and reload windows.

wait a minute........

IS that what I should do?

Thanks westray1234

Then corrupt it must be.

Right click does only as I discribe.

I will get my CD out and reload windows.

wait a minute........

IS that what I should do?

No, if thats the case then you should backup your files and format the HD.....and then reinstall Windows/everything.

Thanks Don:

Im off to an XP site for assistance on that.

you guys have been incredibly patient

I ll keep you informed. :)