Sign in to follow this  
dddannn

KIS 7.xx crashes WIN2k

dddannn   

hello,

i have never had a problem with KIS 6.xxx OR my PC.

my PC has never crashed before but now it is happening ever since i installed KIS 7.xx. the crash happens when i am surfing on the internet or also while using soulseek. i have removed soulseek from my system.

i use windows 2000 pro (up to date with all patches)

KIS 7.xx was installed on a freshly defragmented hard drive and the old version of KIS was removed with the removal tool.

i have also noticed a huge reduction in internet speed with the update. this effects both intrernet explorer and firefox. google earth is also slow.

i have searched for remedies but have found none.

i had some problems with facebook.com and maps.google.com, facebook not loading and google maps loading with errors but i have fixed that by allowing banners from those sites.

KIS 7.xx seems to use alot of CPU compared to the older version.

reverting back to the old version of KIS 6.xx (my cd copy) gets rid of the crashing problems. i have now gone back to version 7.xx and the crashing came back.

i have been trying to fix this for 2 days sad.gif

what happened? is there a fix? please help

here's the message i get on a blue screen when the last crash happened...

***STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X4D4F433A, 0X00000000, 0XBFEBF953)

*** ADDRESS BFEBF953 BASE AT BFEA700, DATESTAMP 3EAF051D-NDIS.SYS

BEGINING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY

the code was writtn down by hand.

Edited by dddannn

dddannn   

my computer crashed again.

also, the following appears on the crash screen....

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

KIS7 messed up my system soo bad it wouldn't boot up. it would display a blue screen at startup.

i had to go into safemode and delete KIS7. it still wouldn't boot up so i did a RUN:Verifier and reset

user posted image

after this i was able to boot up. is it okay that i did this?

i reinstalled KIS6 from the CD and the system is running again.

i ran the getsystem info app and got the following....

but i still managed to get a file.

here's the results of the public parser....

http://gsi.kaspersky.fr/lire.php?hl=en&fil...t=&tab=&search=

attached to this post are the dump files.

dddannn   

the dump file archive didn't seem to attach to the last post.

i get this message:

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

it's only 320KB

dddannn   

before i installed KIS6 about a year ago, i used the norton removal to remove all traces of norton system works and norton antivirus.

P.S, i just updated...

=> Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection New update available

Current version: 7.0.26.0 -> [ New 12.1 WHQL here ]

Available for Windows 2000

dddannn   

-i downloaded the norton removal tool and removed all traces again like i did almost a year ago.

-i downloaded regsupreme and cleaned the registry. p.s, after this, windows desktop search now crashes and has lost its index. sad.gif

-i did a Reinstall Microsoft Windows Script

here's a fresh systeminfo after all the above was done....

http://gsi.kaspersky.fr/lire.php?hl=en&fil...=&tab=&search=#

here are the dump files....

http://rapidshare.com/files/53807879/dump.rar.html

p.s thanks for the link MAPKOBKA

dddannn   

here's another link to the dump files just incase the other link doesn't work anymore....

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...B13A7E22536CD28

P.S, even though i cleaned the registry with regsupreme and used the norton removal tool, in the system info parser, it still shows norton....

http://gsi.kaspersky.fr/lire.php?hl=en&fil...=&tab=&search=#

P.S, when i run the "driver verifier manager" and verify "NDIS.SYS" with "force IRQL checking", if i try to connect to the internet, it also crashes the computer.

i did this driver verification because when i got the blue crash screen while surfing the net with KIS7 installed, it said "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and it mentioned "NDIS.SYS"

could a driver be corrupted?

please help.

dddannn   
are you using any programs (with drivers) that do things like monitoring network traffic?

also run a chkdsk on your drives and a memtest too: http://www.memtest.org/

431310[/snapback]

no i'm not using network monitoring programs.

i ran a CHKDSK and everything is okay.

i will run a mem test.

dddannn   

i did a memtest and got this result:

user posted image

tst pass failing address good bad error bits count

3 0 0006335114c 1587.0mb 04040404 04048404 00008000 68

any results from the dump files?

dddannn   
dump files point to ndis.sys indead.

but memtest shows ram errors (faulty ram, which explains crashes). did you over clock, overvoltage, tweak timings etc?

431389[/snapback]

no tweaks.

is it a setting problem or a physical problem? how do i know which ram stick faulty?

should i enable error correction in the BIOS?

dddannn   
if you haven't tweaked anything, then it's probably phsical. There's only one way to find out which stick is faulty and that's to try each one at a time.

431402[/snapback]

would this sove the problem and make KIS7 work without crashing? this is big job for me because i'm disabled. sad.gif

it wasn't an issue with KIS6, why did it become an issue with KIS7? will a future update address this problem or is it something that can't be done?

dddannn   
it might be related, hard to say, if there are memory errors then yes, it that might be possible.

kis 6 might not be addressing the faulty part of the memory where as kis 7 might do it.

if it's a problem you can try to upgrade to 6.0.2.621 maybe it won't crash and it still provides very good protection: ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/products/release/...6.0.2.621en.exe

431425[/snapback]

the version 6.0.2.621 works fine.

i decided to remove the defective ram. i let memtest run many times and the memory installed is fine and in the right configuration. i removed 512mb which was defective and i also removed another 512mb for balance. memory is installed in slots A0B0 as per MOBO specs. now 1GB of ram is isntalled.

i removed KIS6 with the removal tool and installed KIS7 again. KIS7 seemed to work great for a while, the internet was faster like it was with KIS6, etc. it didn't crash yesterday but today when i was using google earth, my computer crashed. i also was surfing the net and the computer crashed again, the same way it did before with the same error BSOD but not as often as before.

what i noticed different about KIS7 is that the banner blocker does not block maps.google.com or interfere with facebook.com like it did before.

KIS7 seemed to have run smoother than perviously and i think it might be due to updates addressing some problems but i'm not 100% sure. if the crashes stoped, then i would know for sure it was bad ram but they still didn't stop even though the ram is 100% fine now.

i still get the same error message:

***STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X4D4F433A, 0X00000000, 0XBFEBF953)

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** ADDRESS BFEBF953 BASE AT BFEA700, DATESTAMP 3EAF051D-NDIS.SYS

BEGINING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY

p.s, i had another crash while trying to post this message sad.gif

here are the new dump files.....

http://download.yousendit.com/8FB3BCD917E16045

please help

dddannn   
the dumps are corrupted. is it crashing in the same places as before? could you uplaod a fresh getsysteminfo log?

432459[/snapback]

it's the same error message refrencing NDIS.SYS

here's a fresh sysinfo....

http://gsi.kaspersky.fr/lire.php?hl=en&fil...=0&tab=&search=

i don't know why it still shows norton. i used the norton removal tool many times.

i searched for symantec in the text file and this is where it shows up...

Nero Digital
 	DEINSTALLATION: C:\WINNT\UNNeroVision.exe /UNINSTALL
 Norton CleanSweep (Symantec Corporation)
 Norton Speed Disk 7.0 for Windows NT
 Norton Utilities 2003 for Windows (Symantec Corporation)

this was never a problem before.

dddannn   
go to the connections properties and uninstall the kaspersky anti-virus ndis minifiler, then reboot.

it should not have issues on security.

if it still fails:

try enabling the compatibility mode in settings>protection.

then insert the windows cd into the drive and type in sfc /scannow into start>Run. let the scan complete and reboot

432568[/snapback]

there are two. which one? the one under intel pro 100ve or efficient networks?

user posted image

what does it do? is this something new in KIS7?

Edited by dddannn

dddannn   
well, first you only disable the ndis filter, if that didn't work proceed with the next 2 steps. it doesn't matter in which order you perform the 2.

i removed the" NDIS filter" from the internet connections.

i also did "sfc /scannow". i didn't get any prompts stating that any drivers or system files were corrupted, neither after if finished running nor after reboot. if there was a problem, would it tell me?

so far it seems to work fine. i haven't had a crash since the above was done. i didn't have to enable "compatibility mode"

i also noticed that if the web antivirus was set to high level, any video clip i would play from the net, be it flash or anything else, would have to fully download before it would start playing. long clips would take forever to start playing because they would have to fully download. when i set the web antivirus to recomended level, they would play almost instantly. why is this?

im wondering if web antivrus being set to high had any effect on the crashing. i will switch between both high and normal and see if there is any difference that would cause a crash.

Baz^^   
i removed the" NDIS filter" from the internet connections.

i also did "sfc /scannow". i didn't get any prompts stating that any drivers or system files were corrupted, neither after if finished running nor after reboot. if there was a problem, would it tell me?

so far it seems to work fine. i haven't had a crash since the above was done. i didn't have to enable "compatibility mode"

i also noticed that if the web antivirus was set to high level, any video clip i would play from the net, be it flash or anything else, would have to fully download before it would start playing. long clips would take forever to start playing because they would have to fully download. when i set the web antivirus to recomended level, they would play almost instantly. why is this?

im wondering if web antivrus being set to high had any effect on the crashing. i will switch between both high and normal and see if there is any difference that would cause a crash.

Web AV in high mode will download a large portion of the clip/file/video for scanning (safer this way) before allowing you to actually "download" it, which is why you will notice a delay between clicking on download link and the download actually "starting"

dddannn   
Web AV in high mode will download a large portion of the clip/file/video for scanning (safer this way) before allowing you to actually "download" it, which is why you will notice a delay between clicking on download link and the download actually "starting"

where it says "limit fragment buffering time" it is set to 60 seconds - in high mode. in regular mode, it is at 1 second. is this the only difference between high and regular mode?

what if i put web antivirus in high mode and set the "limit fragment buffering time" to 5 seconds?

dddannn   
no, the only thing you might have noticed was asking for cd to replace the file or CD access, but it's otherwise silent. Let's hope that it won't crash anymore.

hopefully it won't crash anymore.

p.s, if i want to reinstall the NDIS filter again, how would i go about doing it? i want to try this after a few days to see if it starts crashing again. this way i know for sure what causes the crashing. if i can use the ndis filter without a crash, i know that it was most likely a corrupted system file.

i thank you very much for all the help you have given me

dddannn   
in the kaspersky folder you should have a Klimx86 folder. go into it and open a command window there.

type in the following command

netcfg.exe -g klim5 -l "klim5.inf" -t "klim5.cat" -z klim5.cat -i

and then:

netcfg.exe -g klim5_m -l "klim5_m.inf" -c s -n kl_klim5 -i

or if kis is installed at the default location, this should also do it (in start>run):

"C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0\netcfg.exe" -g klim5 -l "klim5.inf" -t "klim5.cat" -z klim5.cat -i

"C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0\netcfg.exe" -g klim5_m -l "klim5_m.inf" -c s -n kl_klim5 -i

how do i open the command window in the Klimx86 folder?

there is a netcfg file in there and when i click on it, nothing happens.

dddannn   
in the kaspersky folder you should have a Klimx86 folder. go into it and open a command window there.

type in the following command

netcfg.exe -g klim5 -l "klim5.inf" -t "klim5.cat" -z klim5.cat -i

and then:

netcfg.exe -g klim5_m -l "klim5_m.inf" -c s -n kl_klim5 -i

or if kis is installed at the default location, this should also do it (in start>run):

"C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0\netcfg.exe" -g klim5 -l "klim5.inf" -t "klim5.cat" -z klim5.cat -i

"C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0\netcfg.exe" -g klim5_m -l "klim5_m.inf" -c s -n kl_klim5 -i

hello,

i right clicked the folder and it opened the command line, i put in the first line and pressed enter, then i put the second line in and pressed enter. i checked the network connection and nothing changed, a reboot the computer ans still there was no ndis filter installed in the network connections.

am i doing it right?

P.S, there have been zero crashes so far. i even have web-antivirus on high!

dddannn   
Strange that is what the installer also does. A repair will probably reinstall the ndis filter, however if it works now, just leave it, you are not loosing security

hello,

i did a repair today which reinstalled the NDIS filter. i surfed the net and it crashed! so i removed the NDIS filter and everything seems fine again.

i think through process of elimination, we've figured it out. for some reason it's the NDIS filter that's causing the crashes.