Don Pelotas

Post discovered bugs in version 5.0.522 Pers.(Pro)

Mahalos for your reply to my question Don Pelotas ;)

Now, the updates frequency KAV, why 5.0.523 is not like their previous versions (e.g. 5.0.391)? I remember that .391 have updates at least every 1hour or so...why doesn't .523 have it?

If you want to have Kav check for updates every hour, then you have change it in the updatersettings, it's default every three hours.

At last, there is some debate about the KL installer. My “installer ranting” might annoy some of you, but I can assure you: The reason is that I care about the KL products.  :)

Forgive me for rehashing an old post. But I have to concur with JohnH. Or at the very least, KAV should make the IDS a non default item for installation. I will never forget when IDS was first added in. I just bought a new laptop for my daughter, and installed the newest version of KAV (which unbeknownst to me, had the new intrusion detection).

The IDS gave my firewalls such a hard time, that my hard drive contents got trashed on a brand new laptop. Yes firewalls, plural! I run XP prefessional, but my daughters laptop came with XP home. XP home has a firewall enabled by default also! Which I could barely disable, since the computer was soo messed up. And of course, I had my own firewall that I have been using for eternity.

Anyways, I had to reformat MANY times. In fact I nearly packed my computer into the box to return it as defective! Why? Because who would think that a AV would have IDS?! And the same goes for Windows with their default firewall ALSO. This was the day that I stopped reccomending KAV to novices including the members on my webite.

I still wonder what goes on between my firewall and KAV. It is impossible to update my firewall with KAV realtime protection enabled. And that is with IDS off!

Who knows, maybe the next time I get a new computer, the writers of my Spyware detection software will decide to have IDS and enable it by default too? See the point I am getting at? If every software company throws duplicate functions into our software that we are not aware of, it causes heck!

Anyways, I wanted to thank everyone here for their imput on the newest version of KAV. It was very helpful, and I was glad that I read this thread before I installed it.

I thought I would mention two problems I have had with 5.0.522 to see if anyone has had similar ones and to raise their visibility.

1. I installed 5.0.522 on top of 5.0.391 using the update file on both my laptop and desktop (I have two licenses for KAV Personal). On rebooting the laptop I had a strange situation where my touchpad/mouse was disabled and the system froze. Eventually, rebooting again cured this. On both machines I experienced a long start up time with heavy usage of CPU time for KAV, with a prolonged period when the KAV icon in the system tray was grey.

I tried to report this using the feature on the Support tab of contacting Technical Support, typed information into the data capture screen and after pressing "Next" encountered a blank screen. In fact I think the report was not sent, but there was no confirmation either way. UK Technical Support were helpful and recommended uninstalling and then installing the full version which seemed to fix it.

2. I have now had an odd incident on my desktop (similar to one I had some time ago) where on booting the machine a KAV popup from the system tray warned me that the machine had not been scanned for a long time (untrue of course, the reports file still included the information from the previous scan) and the system event viewer showed the system log was corrupt. I did a full scan which worked fine, and noticed that the profile settings has reverted to the defaults. UK Support were again helpful and suggested that if I had any more problems before the next version came out (next week?) I ought to regress to 5.0.391. I am wondering if a previous bug fix for this corruption problem has regressed. I am still getting a grey KAV icon at start up, but not quite as long as before.

Hope this is of interest and possibly help.

Derek

Would you mind downloading version 5.0.523 (set.exe) and then uninstall Kaspersky with a reboot, then run KAV_Registry_Clean.zip and install 5.0.523 afterwards and see if this is better? :)

Ok, so is the latest personal version .522 that is on the website still the latest version to use? The link you provided is .523

Why isn't that on the website if it's the latest and greatest? KAV is SO confusing when it comes to getting their product....things labelled wrong, having to look on ftp sites for it, version numbers different between resellers, etc.

What is the latest, greatest personal version that has no bugs and is available for download and where can I get it????

Ok, so is the latest personal version .522 that is on the website still the latest version to use?  The link you provided is .523

Why isn't that on the website if it's the latest and greatest?  KAV is SO confusing when it comes to getting their product....things labelled wrong, having to look on ftp sites for it, version numbers different between resellers, etc.

What is the latest, greatest personal version that has no bugs and is available for download and where can I get it????

.522 is the latest official release. But some people (including me) have a slowdown issue with this build. The devs have wrapped up .523 (the build Don linked to) to check if the changes they have made fix the problems of .522 :)

.522 is the latest official release. But some people (including me) have a slowdown issue with this build. The devs have wrapped up .523 (the build Don linked to) to check if the changes they have made fix the problems of .522 :)

So what are these MP's listed for? .522?

Is the .523 link posted by Don a finished build?

So what are these MP's listed for?  .522? 

Is the .523 link posted by Don a finished build?

Official MP 4 (Maintenance Pack 4) is build .522

Build .523? I allready explained, it's a TEST BUILD to fix problems some people encounter with build .522.

Build .523? I allready explained, it's a TEST BUILD to fix problems some people encounter with build .522.

Exactly, fixing issue's that some (me excluded btw) are seeing, might become next build.

Exactly, fixing issue's that some (me excluded btw) are seeing, might become next build.

I am really confused,the day before yesterday was 523,yesteday was 524.today is 525?waht's the innovation?do i need change the the new version every day?

I am  really confused,the day before yesterday was 523,yesteday was 524.today is 525?waht's the innovation?do i need change the the new version every day?

Yes, every hour :rolleyes:

Come on, please READ before posting. Like Don and I explained before, official builds are on the official page. Sometimes the developers offer test builds here to see if problems are solved. If they are, the fixes will be incorporated in a NEXT OFFICIAL BUILD that will be on the OFFICIAL download pages.

This is my last post regarding this topic, I'm not here to give the same answer over and over again. :blink:

I am  really confused,the day before yesterday was 523,yesteday was 524.today is 525?waht's the innovation?do i need change the the new version every day?

No, read the posts, trying to fix issue's some have, if you don't have them, no need to install new builds yet!

Just for clearence: There are no build 524, 525!.................................yet.

No, read the posts, trying to fix issue's some have, if you don't have them, no need to install new builds yet!

Just for clearence: There are no build 524, 525!.................................yet.

no build 524?

1142520386_oi5DKZB7qwqe.jpg

1142600034_5ZasvPD4XPuh.jpg

Hey, you're right, kumagaya. The last fix build is 5.0.524, they just forgot to edit the thread title. ;)

Derek

Would you mind downloading version 5.0.523 (set.exe) and then uninstall Kaspersky with a reboot, then run KAV_Registry_Clean.zip and install 5.0.523 afterwards and see if this is better? :)

Don, I did as you asked. It downloaded 5.0.524 and didn't work as well as 5.0.522.

In particular it froze for some time on the initial reboot with a grey icon, and then reported that Real Time mail protection had failed. I rebooted again and whilst it did not freeze, the grey icon was again there for a long time and Mail protection again failed.

So I uninstalled 5.0.524, rebooted, ran reg cleaner, rebooted, reinstalled 5.0.522, rebooted, and I am pleased to say that this only had the shorter time grey icon (still more than 5.0.391) and mail protection worked.

Sorry; this really needs further attention!

Hi folks,

I delayed installing the latest version because of all the bug reports here, but to me 5.0.524 personal appears to work very well. I uninstalled .391 not saving the streams and did a clean install, which went flawlessly. After install, upon reboot, the icon remained grey for a minute or so, with CPU often at 100%. Defnitions update went smoothly. Did a full scan which finished in under 10 minutes! (74.540 files scanned.) When I rebooted again, KAV did its normal booting routine, but this only took a few secs. No long high CPU usage at second reboot. Also, the software appears to be very light on system resources. Klswd.exe eats up 160K, kavsvc 3.850K, and kav.exe 1.080.

Arthur

Thanks for the answer.

I moved back to 5.0.391, as the version 5.0.522 did not work well for me.

Full scan stopped after a couple of minutes and PC froze.

I reinstalled 5.0.391 and performed a fully scan again as suggested by setup wizard.

It took about 55 minutes (over 266000files scanned), which is the longest time ever with any antivirus I have ever used.

Is this normal on a hard drive of 80GB and about 70% unused space?.

My PC is a P4 2.8 Northwood, 1GB RAM...

I am very disappointed about this long scan time.

Any suggestion/comment?

I really hope version 6 will fix these issues.

Regards

Installed 5.0.524, keep the same settings as in the previous versions used, and performed another scan.

Result: 266634 file (almost like the previous one) and this time... 57.38 minutes.

I'm afraid to say that the scans are not getting faster after several times, actually it took some minutes more than last time :(

Regards

Yes, it took 2,38 minutes more. ;)

I'm sorry that the scan times disappoint you so much, but as they have all been in the 54-57 minute window (with different versions) this is what it will take to scan your pc with that amount of files. It's not like it will be 5 minutes faster each time you do a scan, but in my case they are definitely a little faster with iStreams enabled and more important (in my case) the real-time protection is smoother than without as time goes.

On my pc it would probably take around 25-30 minutes, so you may have a conflict with something on your pc or it could be that you have files (Archive?) which Kav is chewing on for longer than normal.

Yes, it took 2,38 minutes more. ;)

I'm sorry that the scan times disappoint you so much, but as they have all been in the 54-57 minute window (with different versions) this is what it will take to scan your pc with that amount of files. It's not like it will be 5 minutes faster each time you do a scan, but in my case they are definitely a little faster with iStreams enabled and more important (in my case) the real-time protection is smoother  than without as time goes.

On my pc it would probably take around 25-30 minutes, so you may have a conflict with something on your pc or it could be that you have files (Archive?) which Kav is chewing on for longer than normal.

Thanks Don Pelotas...

The second reason is probably the right one..... can see KAV scan working on some files much longer than others, but.... I still hope KAV 6 will do this better... just a bit!

Regards

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.