spbond

KLPD.SYS BSOD on latest Nvidia driver install

/edit: add important quote:

Hello, everyone!

We are deeply sorry for such nasty issue =\

Could you please tell me number of request to technical support + provide C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP via PM.

Hi,

My KIS 2016 on Windows 10 is causing a BSOD with the following error when trying to install the latest driver for my Nvidia 970 graphics card (355.98-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql is the driver version).

The message is:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA KLPD.SYS

I've tried pausing the protection but the error persists.

The installation process fails from within the GEForce Experience package and from a manual install.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Sean

edit: add quote of the workaround:

I managed to use a workaround and successfully installed the NVIDIA software. First, I downloaded the drivers from NVIDIA, and extracted the files with 7zip application. Once extracted, I ran setup.exe and everything installed without any crashes.

Must be the same reason with NVIDIA's 7zip unpacker. My guess is that the Kaspersky driver was trying to scan the memory of the unpacked data stored in temp memory, and and crashed when that page got swapped out to disk.

Better way I think of it, NVIDIA's files is full of DLLs which run in kernel mode, and Kas could be taking its time to analyze those pieces of code but crashed when the unpacker was swapping contents back to disk from memory.

Edited by richbuff

Just registered on the forum to confirm that I'm having the exact same problem. Being using Kaspersky for years and I can say that this is not the first time it causes BSOD to my PC. I already had a BSOD few days after doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64, saying something like: "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT", but I had KIS 2015, while now I'm using KIS 2016 (installed on the 19 of this month, so very few days ago, first using "kavremover" and then installing the new version).

And yes, I as well had the BSOD just a second after hitting "Custom Installation" under Nvidia GeForce Experience after downloading the new 355.98 WHQL drivers. So, yeah, 2 BSOD in one month with Windows 10 and 2 different versions of KIS lol...I'm almost tempted to format and just go back to Win 8.1 or even Win 7 (ofc I won't).

If it helps, here's my config:

CPU: i5 2500K@4.0GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3@stock

GPU: GTX 670@stock (with WHQL GeForce 355.82 drivers)

bsod.txt

Edited by 3ullit87

Seeing the same thing here. Even if I exit Total Security I still get the BSOD in klpd.sys during the NVIDIA driver install. This happens whether I install the driver via GeForce Experience update or the via downloadable driver installer package directly.

Windows 10 Pro x64

i7 970

24 GB DDR3

GTX 980

Can confirm this happens with Kaspersky Internet Security 16.0.0.614(a) and Windows 10.

Guess Kaspersky doesn't like us gamers :(

Logs sent with built in crash reporting module.

Same issue as the first post here. Even pausing the whole Total Security system, it will cause a blue screen at page fault exception. I have Windows 10 x64 Home on a Samsung laptop, and updating the NVIDIA driver either with GeForce Experience or through the manual installer causes the klpd.sys driver to break. It's happening in the phase where the installer is unpacking the files, which uses a 7zip unpacker program in the background. I will see if I can manually unpack it with the normal 7zip program, and see what issues occur or if I can successfully install the updates.

I will see if I can manually unpack it with the normal 7zip program, and see what issues occur or if I can successfully install the updates.

Interesting idea! I tried unzipping with Winrar and the computer BSOD'd again at about 92% extraction.

Same issue here on my system...

Windows 10 x64

Palit Jetstream GTX970

Nvidia GeForce 355.98

Kaspersky 16.0.0.614(a)

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA KLPD.SYS

I managed to use a workaround and successfully installed the NVIDIA software. First, I downloaded the drivers from NVIDIA, and extracted the files with 7zip application. Once extracted, I ran setup.exe and everything installed without any crashes.

Interesting idea! I tried unzipping with Winrar and the computer BSOD'd again at about 92% extraction.

Must be the same reason with NVIDIA's 7zip unpacker. My guess is that the Kaspersky driver was trying to scan the memory of the unpacked data stored in temp memory, and and crashed when that page got swapped out to disk.

EDIT: Better way I think of it, NVIDIA's files is full of DLLs which run in kernel mode, and Kas could be taking its time to analyze those pieces of code but crashed when the unpacker was swapping contents back to disk from memory.

Edited by bperris

Better way I think of it, NVIDIA's files is full of DLLs which run in kernel mode, and Kas could be taking its time to analyze those pieces of code but crashed when the unpacker was swapping contents back to disk from memory.

Welcome. Thank you for posting the workaround.

Please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/en/support/helpdesk

Please attach the following items to your Tech Support request:

1. Description of the issue.

2. GSI

3. Traces Please disable traces when done, or your hard drive will get full.

4. _Full_ Dump (MEMORY.DMP) Please, no mini-dumps, kernel dumps etc.

Having the same issue using Winrar to extract the driver package. I am using KIS 16.0.0.614 (a) on Windows 10 pro x64.

I will attempt to use 7zip to extract. We need a quick fix on this as this is quite a serious issue and repeatable as well. Easy for Kaspersky to test.

Report sent to technical support. Extraction works in VM using 7zip and subsequent installation on target PC from extracted files works fine.

Hi,

KAV2016 and latest nVidia 355.98 WHQL installer, make "KLPD.SYS" BSOD when installer reach 71%.

This is a 100% repro everytime.

Windows 10 x64

The bsod is a pagefault in not paged area.

To reproduce, simply download and execute this file : http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResul...spx/91812/en-us

Many users on the www.geforce.com forums say exactly the same.

Please fix asap.

Edited by Wagnard

Thanks, are you planning to fix this in your KLPD.sys driver so it does not happens in the future?

Temporary fix is turn off Kaspersky so it doesn't crash your computer when installing nvidia latest driver and when finish then turn Kaspersky back on. Hopefully we don't have to do this workaround again in the future.

Nvidia users are reporting by just disabling Kaspersky they can then install the driver with no issue. When finish installing the driver you may turn Kaspersky back on. This is the first time my PC BSOD in years.

Edited by CWEric

Nvidia users are reporting by just disabling Kaspersky they can then install the driver with no issue. When finish installing the driver you may turn Kaspersky back on. This is the first time my PC BSOD in years.

I tried that, but still BSOD. So I had to switch to the "drastic" method: uninstalled KIS 2016 with kavremover, downloaded drivers from Nvidia website, installed them and then re-installed KIS 2016. Now let's hope it doesn't do the same thing on next drivers release. Imho Kaspersky should work on a patch for this, but I'm sure they're already on it ;)

Hello, everyone!

Could you please tell me number of request to technical support + provide C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP via PM.

Edited by richbuff

Hello, everyone!

I tried that, but still BSOD. So I had to switch to the "drastic" method: uninstalled KIS 2016 with kavremover, downloaded drivers from Nvidia website, installed them and then re-installed KIS 2016. Now let's hope it doesn't do the same thing on next drivers release. Imho Kaspersky should work on a patch for this, but I'm sure they're already on it ;)

There is a thunderstorm passing by so I had to turn off the computer (using laptop backup). Hopefully what nvidia forum users are posting work for me.

Update: Storm settle, exiting Kaspersky didn't work for me either. I'm not a programmer but makes me wonder why Kaspersky still interfere with the installation when supposedly turn off...

//edit: Add the workaround:

Edited by richbuff

I'm getting a BSOD even when trying to extract with 7zip. Obviously a Kaspersky problem. Fix it.

And, no, I'm not going to open a support ticket for something that is obviously affecting multiple users.

Edited by pureobscure

Getting the same exact error on Windows 10 x64 with KIS 2016.

• Download/install update through GeForce Experience: BSOD during extraction.
  • Download installer directly, extract to a location with WinRAR. About 5 seconds after WinRAR finishes, BSOD.
  • Open installer in WinRAR, click 'Test', WinRAR checks all files, no crash.
  • Add exclusion to KIS 2016 to not scan anything in the directory I have downloaded the driver to. Extract to a subdirectory of excluded directory, this time it BSODs near the end of the extraction.

I can't tell since Kaspersky's logging isn't granular enough to tell me which file it is scanning, but it would appear that one of the files in the installer, when it is being scanned by Kaspersky, is causing Kaspersky's klpd.sys driver to blow up and BSOD my machine (and many others from the looks of it).

I'm going to try running the install from WinRAR next since using it to run the test generated no crash earlier.

Same problem here.

Tried installing 7zip and extracting the files manually while kaspersky protection is disabled + exited program, BSOD still occurs.

My workaround was to uninstall kaspersky and then install the nvidia drivers.

Rather pathetic that I have to uninstall kaspersky to be able to update my gfx drivers.