Sign in to follow this  
S.Reisinger

KryptoStorage Password length changed ?

Good afternoon,

I am using KryptoStorage ( from the beginning I guess ) for quite a while now to backup sensitive data once a months to a KPE file.

Now that the time of the month is here again, I tried to open/attach the container ... and it's not working anymore, not even backup copies.

I am pretty certain that it's not corrupted or similar ...

The reason should/could be that I am unable to type the complete password !!!

The password length the KPE was created with under Pure 2.0 was 9 ( nine ) alphanumerical characters now it only let's me type 8 ( eight ) characters and I cannot open/attach the container and I really have to, with some kind of urgency ( containing tax and official documents ).

Anything that can be done about that ?

EDIT: I actually was able to use it in PURE 3.0 before ( August, September ) just that after an update in Oct'13 ( I would say ) the KryptoStorage password length has been limited ( Resulting in a breaking change that I could not find anything about ) ?

Edited by S.Reisinger

I was using the Kaspersky Pure 3 data encryption on my old machine and for some reason I could only use a 4 or 6 digit password, I forgot which for sure?? (That happens too often at this stage of life) I just assumed this limit was the norm. Haven't created a container on this new machine yet. You might try entering just the first 4/6 digits of your existing password to see if it works??? Just a thought.

Edited by ENIAC 2

OK, was out in the barn and fired up the old computer and discovered that it is 8 characters, not 6 or 4. FWIW.

Please, download, unpack and run Kaspersky Restore utility: http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/uti...ore_utility.zip

In main window click on the yellow warning icon (yellow exclamation point). Browse a path to your storage and attempt to retrieve your stored data.

Try to use it to restore your content.

Uhm ... the link is for Kaspersky PURE My Backup ...

There is no Yellow exlamation anywhere to be seen.

I am looking to Recover a Container ( KDE ) file that has a 9 digit password ( created with PURE 2.0 ) from within PURE 3.0 ( 8 digit password max ).

The "Data Encryption" part of Kaspersky PURE.

I was using the Kaspersky Pure 3 data encryption on my old machine and for some reason I could only use a 4 or 6 digit password, I forgot which for sure?? (That happens too often at this stage of life) I just assumed this limit was the norm. Haven't created a container on this new machine yet. You might try entering just the first 4/6 digits of your existing password to see if it works??? Just a thought.

I, in general and for that stuff only, use variations of the same password that is either 6 ( simple ) or 9 ( complex ) ... since all of the length 6 ones do not work and I am rather sure that I used a specific 9 character one ... it stops me dead after the 8th and there is no way to enter a 9th character or digit.

So the container is lost, for now and I think my taxes from this year are going to be a mess :cb_punk:

Inserting just the first 8 and leaving out the 9th didn't work either? I'm trying to remember how it was that I discovered that the limit was 8 because I think I tried with a PW that had more than 8. At my age though, remembering would be a miracle. I wound up with a 7 digit in the end and had to search through my scratchy notes to find it the other day. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. :wacko:

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.