I've had 5 instances in the past 10 days, where my computer crashed & rebooted. I am running Vista 64 SP1, on a AMD Phenom 9850 with 6 Gigs of RAM. The only Internet Security product ever installed on the machine has been KIS 2009 (currently running KIS 8.0.0.506). When the computer reboots I get a message that I pasted below. Could KIS be the cause of the problem? Is there anything that I could upload to Kaspersky that will help diagnose the cause of the problem?

Problem caused by antivirus software

Although we have not determined the specific cause of this problem, we know the problem was caused by antivirus software.

Recommendation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To try to solve this problem, follow these steps. One step might solve the problem, but if it doesn't, then go on to the next step.

Update your antivirus software

Missing antivirus software updates could be the cause of your computer's problem. To make sure your antivirus is up to date, follow these steps:

Click to open Microsoft Security Center.

Click Malware protection.

If your software needs to be updated, click Update now.

If Windows can detect your antivirus software, it will be listed under Virus protection.

If your antivirus software is not displayed in Windows Security Center, go to the downloads section of your antivirus software provider’s website. Find the update for your version of the software and your operating system, and then install it. For more information, check the Help for your antivirus software.

Most antivirus software updates are free, but some providers charge a small fee for the updates. If you're using an older version of the software, you might also have to pay to upgrade to a more recent version to continue to receive the updates.

Check for multiple antivirus programs running on your computer

Running two antivirus software programs on your computer at the same time is not recommended because the two programs can interfere with each other. Even if you don't think your computer could be running two antivirus programs, antivirus software can sometimes come bundled with your computer and it might be running without your knowledge. To check if two antivirus programs are running, follow these steps:

Click the Start button , click Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Look at the list of services under the Name column. If you find two antivirus programs, right-click each service associated with one of the programs, and then click Stop. Note that there may be multiple services running for one antivirus program.

Contact the antivirus manufacturer

If you've completed the previous steps, we recommend you contact the antivirus manufacturer directly for additional support.

To see a list of Microsoft and third-party solutions for spyware, adware, and antivirus software, go to the following website online.

This is mainly a Tech Support area (link located at lower left of main Kaspersky window), but there is a possibility that GSI Report may point to something. Please create gsi sysinfo text, upload it to this parser site: http://gsi.kaspersky.fr/ and post link to GSI Report which may identify issue area, instructions see: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=36444

The GSI reported that potentially incompatible software was running (Windows Defender). Should I uninstall that program?

You can't uninstall WD, you can disable it, try that and also try to uninstall Kaspersky completely, then reboot and reinstall.

This is quite funny with Vista. I had problems like this a while ago with freezing/rebooting and EVERY time windows told me that the AV software was causing the problems. In the end it turned out to be one of my hard drives lol.

Like Don said uninstalling and re-installing could solve it. I have never had to turn of Defender though.

Try checking Event Viewer to see if you have any other System errors.

Edited by James_478

i too have had numerous crashes since leaving the factory installed 'norton' upon subscription end--i also run a 64 bit vista ultimate and the message is

always the same from ms--my crashes up until this a.m. have always been when my wife was on her user account and working in outlook--i have in the

past disabled ms defender and firewall--i found that upon installation of ms updates they have been turned back on automatically? wierd, huh?

i finally switched my wifes email software to 'mozilla thunderbird' as i was using that with no problems whatsoever--everything fine until this a.m. when the crash happened on my user account--

that led me to this forum and before finding this thread i ran across the "removing other anti-viruses" by Don Pelotas--found that useful tool for finishing off

norton removal and hopefully, no more problems--i did not go as far as removing my kaspersky and re-installation but that may be the next step if the

crashing resumes--

sorry, abit long-winded but i know your pain--

thanx for the forum--

I'm runnig KIS .506 on Vista x64 Ultimate; I don't have any problems with KIS. Defender is turned off. Perhaps you have some other antispyware software installed which have compatibility problems with KIS? If not, try to reinstall KIS to see if the problem remains!

Edited by Don Pelotas
Removed large qoute

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.