e.denboer

Kaspersky Security 10.1 Windows Server high CPU

Installed the new version Kaspersky Security 10.1 on our servers. On 35% of the servers it causes high cpu. When i start troubleshooting i see in the taskmanager that the service Service Host: Local Service (Network Restricted) cuases high cpu which slows down the server dramatically. After some testing i stopped the Kaspersky Security 10.1 for Windows Server from the Security Center console and the problem dissapears instantly. When i start the application, the problem returns. Is there someting wrong with the new version? Servers are a mix of Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016, all virtual on VMware 6.0.

Hello,

Can you collect KSWS 10.1 traces while the situation is reproduced?

Also, if I understood you correctly, KSWS processes don't show any CPU usage, all CPU usage is done by an svchost.exe process? If so, can you make a dump of this process while it eats up CPU?

Hello,

I started the collection of traces on one of the affected servers.  I also made a screenshot from the taskmanager where you can see the service host and the Kaspersky Antivirus worker process. When the Kaspersky process goes up, the Service Host follows. On the current server it goes up and down. On another server, it stays up. Both files attached below.

Kaspersky.PNG

kavfs_20180327_145512134_93c.zip

Thanks for that! The situation is becoming clearer. Please answer a couple of questions:

1. Was KSWS 10.1 installed on top of an existing KSWS 10.0?

2. Can you please execute this command on an affected host from the folder where KSWS is installed (while our service is running):

kavshell task

And send the the output of this command?

Thanks for your help.

This problem is related to migrating from KSWS 10.0. We're working on the fix, and in the meantime the only workaround is to reinstall KSWS10.1 (first uninstall, then install), and recreate the KSC policy for it.

The patch that fixes this (and some other problems too) is going to be released sometime next week, I think.

Okay, thanks for your help! I wait for the fix, and in the meantime i use the previous version for the affected servers.

Edited by e.denboer

Hello,

We have the fix, but it's in the last stage of testing before we start giving it out. It should take a couple more days, then you can start asking the Support for the fix.

We're starting to distribute the fix among the customers. Please contact the Support service if you have problems with the KSWS 10.1 version.

Some time in May the KB article will go live and the fix will be available for everyone.

On 4/24/2018 at 11:30 AM, e.denboer said:

Hello,

Is the fix already available?

The patch can be provided via an incident in CompanyAccount. For swifter response in your incident regarding the patch, please let us know its number.

Thank you!

Hello All,

Can you please confirm us that this is the correct patch you are talking about?:

https://support.kaspersky.com/14306#block2

Thank you!