doalwa

KES 10: Disable realtime protection during CommVault backup?

Hello everybody,

we've recently switched out our backup software for one of our remote sites from ArcServe to Commvault.

Unfortunately, since the switch backups of the remote fileserver went from taking around 3 hours to complete to almost 10 hours every night.

By manually disabling the Kaspersky virus scanner, the backup duration goes back down to about 3 hours.

I'd like to edit the Commvault backup task to simply stop the Kaspersky realtime protection before the backup job starts and starting it back up after the job is finished.

To that end, I tried creating a simply batch file which calls the avp.exe and issues a stop command, like so:

avp stop rtp

Unfortunately this simply results in the following error message:

Error: control of this task is not allowed.

What gives? 

Are there any other options to stop the realtime protection using a batch file I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Dominik

Hello!

Stopping the real-time protection is not secure. 

A more reasonable way would be to add the backup softwarae to the trusted apps list in the policy under exclusions span. 

Thanks!

Hi Ivan,

I've already tried that approach, unfortunately to no avail:

image.png.3e0416b09881b296b05af33ee3a9db63.png

I've also excluded all program directories of Commvault which I could find...there's also a howto from Commvault concering AV exclusions, but none 

of the exclusions listed there changed the speed of the backup

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=white_paper/security/antivirus_exclusions.htm

I'm aware of the risk but right now I just need a solution to squeeze the backup back into it's allotted time frame.

Thanks,

Dominik

Hello!

Could you please provide the full GSI report from the affected machine with eventlogs? 

Thanks!

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.