bckasman

Patch C - PWM passwords masked, disk activity.

My password manager, after updating to Patch "C" shows that all of my passwords expire on 1/1/1601. If I click on "never expires, it doesn't accept the change. Password Manager does, however, appear to be working. Is this a new bug that wasn't found in Beta testing? Some help would be appreciated.

BC

edit: News! :)

Hi ALL!

We are planning to release a patch "D" tomorrow.

edit: Newer news!

New date: 29.10.2013

edit: Newerer news!

New date - next week.

Edited by richbuff

In addition to what I mentioned above, Password Manager no longer starts with system startup. There's also a problem with the passwords. They are learly working, but if I clock on the icon to show the password, it just shows a row of small stars, and I don't see anything that indicates the password strength This sure doesn't look like a fix to me! Has anyone else seen this yet?

BC

same for me ,with patch C, most of password have an expired, date: (01/01/1601), and its not possible to modify the date.....

just to let you know my passwords do not expire ever and i can change that so works fine for me..

but yes when i try to look at the passwords i just get a row of small stars even if i copy to clipboard it just copys the stars :(

that needs to be fixed.. even more important now there is no portable version

allso no mention of password strength anywhere

im having the same problem all my passwords has expired 1601-01-01 i can't change the date or remove the expiration.

i can still logg in to sites and evrything unless i need to copy the password which then becomes ********** instead of a real password,

can't realy change my passwords unless i already know my old one which is hard to know when you can't even see it or copy it.

Same here. Can not see or change passwords or the 1601 date. Will not SAVE (button dimmed). Links to web sites do not work. Passwords must have been changed? NOT good! I do not expect a PAID anti-virus program to mess up my PC this much with no fix in sight. Kaspersky is supposed to prevent this type of thing from happening - with no warning!

Hi Schulte,

That's interesting indeed. It's obviously something that went awry and apparently went unnoticed during the beta and release candidates testing. My guess is that the update somehow locked the existing data base. The 1/1/1601 is s d rather peculiar. I'm getting old, but not that old! But seriously, we know that the Password Manager module works and new accounts that are set up after Patch "C" seem to function normally. We also know that, contrary to what the Password Manager says, our passwords have not, in fact, not expired. So, as I see it, we can chose to ignore it until it's fixed, or if one feels compelled to do so, they can delete their accounts and start over- an easy choice if you have a small database like me. In the meantime, let's hope this there is an easy fix that will be coming soon. Perhaps a moderator could chime in here and let us know if this issue is being addressed.

Always remember, no matter how much testing you do you can never find everything that will happen when the program reaches the end users like us.

Stay Safe,

BC

im having the same problem all my passwords has expired 1601-01-01 i can't change the date or remove the expiration.

i can still logg in to sites and evrything unless i need to copy the password which then becomes ********** instead of a real password,

can't realy change my passwords unless i already know my old one which is hard to know when you can't even see it or copy it.

Same problem. And there are some sites that I always had to copy the password. Now I can't access them at all.

OK, I have since discovered that it is STPASS that is causing the erratic disk activity. From what I see in Resource Monitor, it is constantly writing to disk. All is fine until I start PWM. Will stand by for more details as I am sure Kaspersky is being overwhelmed with support requests right now. FWIW, my update came to a little over 102 meg.

Hi ALL,

Thanks for the signal! We will check these problems and will release a fix.

In addition to what I mentioned above, Password Manager no longer starts with system startup. There's also a problem with the passwords. They are learly working, but if I clock on the icon to show the password, it just shows a row of small stars, and I don't see anything that indicates the password strength This sure doesn't look like a fix to me! Has anyone else seen this yet?

BC

Ditto.

Hi ALL,

edit: add quote of important post.

Edited by richbuff

Just adding some observations.

The same problems with expired and unreadable passwords occurred after the update to Patch C (Kaspersky PURE 13.02.558c). Automatic password filling, identity information and notes, as well as newly created (post Patch C) accounts, were not affected.

The mentioned disk activity is caused by stpass.exe constantly writing the following sequence to file %My Documents%\spLog.log.

17.10.2013 12:47:13.602 [sTICKY_LOG]<VirtualTreeController.OnObserve/VirtualTreeController.OnObserve> Info (10015003) [1]

17.10.2013 12:47:13.619 [sTICKY_LOG]<VirtualTreeController.OnObserve/VirtualTreeController.OnObserve> Info (10015024) GetRecentAccounts()

17.10.2013 12:47:13.647 [sTICKY_LOG]<VirtualTreeController.OnObserve/VirtualTreeController.OnObserve> Info (10015024) Requesting accounts

17.10.2013 12:47:13.697 [sTICKY_LOG]<VirtualTreeController.OnObserve/VirtualTreeController.OnObserve> Info (10010) TtsCustomDispatcher.Send >>

17.10.2013 12:47:13.721 [sTICKY_LOG]<VirtualTreeController.OnObserve/VirtualTreeController.OnObserve> Info (10010) AMessage.ClassName: TspmGetDBObjectsXml

17.10.2013 12:47:13.739 [sTICKY_LOG]<VirtualTreeController.OnObserve/VirtualTreeController.OnObserve> Info (10010) ----------- SendData

17.10.2013 12:47:13.760 [sTICKY_LOG]<VirtualTreeController.OnObserve/VirtualTreeController.OnObserve> Info (10010) ----------- ProcessSendResult

17.10.2013 12:47:13.788 [sTICKY_LOG]<VirtualTreeController.OnObserve/VirtualTreeController.OnObserve> Info (10010) TtsCustomDispatcher.Send <<

17.10.2013 12:47:13.838 [sTICKY_LOG]<VirtualTreeController.OnObserve/VirtualTreeController.OnObserve> Info (10015024) Processing accounts

17.10.2013 12:47:13.867 [sTICKY_LOG]<VirtualTreeController.OnObserve/VirtualTreeController.OnObserve> Info (10015024) Accounts processed OK

Also after the update the Last.fm Scrobbler crashes because of spCapBtn.dll, which is related to Password Manager's Capture button. Probable cause is Password Manager trying to include the Capture button in the Last.fm Scrobbler window, because it uses the default web browser to display data. The following was written into spLog.log after the Last.fm Scrobler start.

17.10.2013 12:20:05.880 [sTICKY_LOG]<5240> Info (10010) TCaptionButtonTimer.DoAddCaptionButton() Before WM_NULL Window: 788608 <Chrome_WidgetWin_1> <Last.fm - Listen to free music with internet radio and the largest music catalogue online - Google Chrome>

17.10.2013 12:20:05.923 [sTICKY_LOG]<5240> Info (10010) TCaptionButtonTimer.DoAddCaptionButton() Before Dispatch Window: 788608 <Chrome_WidgetWin_1> <Last.fm - Listen to free music with internet radio and the largest music catalogue online - Google Chrome>

17.10.2013 12:20:05.963 [sTICKY_LOG]<5240> Info (10010) TtsCustomDispatcher.Send >>

17.10.2013 12:20:06.045 [sTICKY_LOG]<5240> Info (10010) AMessage.ClassName: TspmAddCaptionButton

17.10.2013 12:20:06.139 [sTICKY_LOG]<5240> Info (10000) TfrmCommonSPMain.spmTraceConfiguration

17.10.2013 12:20:06.237 [sTICKY_LOG]<5240> Info (10010) ----------- SendData

17.10.2013 12:20:06.394 [sTICKY_LOG]<5240> Info (10010) ----------- ProcessSendResult

17.10.2013 12:20:06.476 [sTICKY_LOG]<5240> Info (10010) TtsCustomDispatcher.Send <<

17.10.2013 12:20:06.548 [sTICKY_LOG]<5240> Info (10010) TCaptionButtonTimer.DoAddCaptionButton() After Dispatch, Dispatched: <True>Window: 788608 <Chrome_WidgetWin_1> <Last.fm - Listen to free music with internet radio and the largest music catalogue online - Google Chrome>

My system: 6 year old perfectly working hardware, Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64, Kaspersky PURE 13.02.558c, Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16721 (mostly unused), Google Chrome 30.0.1599.69m

Hi ALL,

Glad to hear you're on top of it Danila. Here's an update: I have a relatively small number of accounts, so I deleted them and started over. Everything works perfectly now (the passwords are not expired, password strength is shown, etc.) except that PWM doesn't start at startup even though the option is checked in settings. Obviously redoing the password database isn't an option for folks with a lot of accounts, but perhaps it helps indicate what's causing the problem.

Rich, appreciate your input as always. I didn't send anything as Danila is obviously on top of the issue.

BC

I have the same problem with my password manager with expired passwords.

... but while starting Password Manager I get this message:

"You have scheduled a password reset for one or more accounts in your vault."

I didn´t have this message in the past.

I uploaded this message as a picture.

I hope you can solve this problem, because I have a lot of accounts. :ai:

Good luck.

post-487623-1382045124_thumb.png

Just wondering, will there be a notification of a fix for this issue posted on the forum? For now, I have my "update" set on manual so as not to further complicate any fix. I'm assuming the fix will be delivered through "update" and I hope to get the notification from here.

Just wondering, will there be a notification of a fix for this issue posted on the forum?

Yes. But in the next week.

OK, I have since discovered that it is STPASS that is causing the erratic disk activity. From what I see in Resource Monitor, it is constantly writing to disk. All is fine until I start PWM. Will stand by for more details as I am sure Kaspersky is being overwhelmed with support requests right now. FWIW, my update came to a little over 102 meg.

Same constant disk activity here after the update when PWM is started.

Yes. But in the next week.

Thank you for the info Danila Tyurin. I will continue to "Stand for more details".

As many have suggested, there is a Password Manager problem with the latest Pure 13.2.0.558© update.

1) Cannot view passwords using the “eye” icon located on right hand side

2) Cannot change username or password as the save button is not enabled. If you attempt to use the Edit for URL, this will enable the save button. Unfortunately, using this kludge to force the “Save” button does not cause user-name/password changes to be saved

3) Expiration dates that were previously set to, “Password never expires,” are now expiring

4) Any new records added, seems to avoid this behavior.

I have a good number of passwords, so it’s not feasible to start over.

//edit: Add quote of the important post:

Hi ALL,

Edited by richbuff

Can someone please explain why stpass.exe, version 7.0.3.6, located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky PURE 3.0\Kaspersky Password Manager directory is constantly writing data to disk file. While monitoring write activity on process, I noticed that about 80KB of data was being written every second.

Many computers have SSDs and try to minimize constant data writes to potentially increase drive lifespan. After playing around with many browsers, outlook program, etc…, this process is the only one that consistently keeps writing data to disk. Even the AVP.exe process only writes data periodically. I don’t understand why a infrequently used password manager needs to constantly be writing data to disk 24x7.

I investigated this potential concern after a poster mentioned stpass.exe constant disk activity for Pure 3 “Patch C” password manager problems. I have downgraded my system to 13.0.2.55 (note: password features still broken). Even with 13.0.2.558 installed, the stpass.exe is still constantly writing data.

Edited by ddennerline

Well I hope I'm not the only one who noticed that Password Manager is not self-locking either. I may have missed it with all these posts but I didn't see anyone else mention it. I've used PM time lockout since I bought Kaspersky. It has been locking itself just fine (or at least 95% of the time). But since this upgrade, PM won't lock the database after 30 min, my usual setting. I've noticed this because when I wake my PC up after a good night's sleep :rolleyes: my PM is unlocked where before it was locked, as I wanted. I've not done extensive testing. But I'll be locking it deliberately now. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I am also getting the password expires message but I've just ignored that. Guess I have to be the one who gets a new symptom. Grins. This one bothers me as it leaves my vault open indefinitely. Before the upgrade this would happen very rarely. Now it seems to be the "norm". I hope you can pass this information on to whoever is working on the other PM issues.

Perhaps it's tied to the "constant disk activity" problem? The system is perhaps "active" and that keeps it from shutting the vault?

Edited by SDaugherty55

BC

I have same problem. Cannot view passwords as ********* are shown. Cannot copy them either as the ********* are copied. Any solution for this yet or ETA on a solution?