I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I have posted this question to the wrong forum.

I defragmented my computer (it was running too slowly) and some files did not defragment.

All of those files are Kaspersky files. My questions are:

1. What should I do with them?

2. Will fragmented files harm my computer or affect it's performance, and if so, in what way?

Welcome. Please disconnect from the internet, then right click the red K tray icon, then defrag, then re-start Kaspersky when done defragging, then re-connect to the internet.

Fragmented files are not harmful. :)

Welcome. Please disconnect from the internet, then right click the red K tray icon, then defrag, then re-start Kaspersky when done defragging, then re-connect to the internet.

Thanks for the fast help, I'll do it now.

I assume I was supposed to Pause Kaspersky after right clicking on the red K tray icon (I don't know a whole lot about computers, as you can probably tell). I did everything else as you specified, but those same exact files still won't defragment. Did I do something wrong?

I assume I was supposed to Pause Kaspersky after right clicking on the red K tray icon (I don't know a whole lot about computers, as you can probably tell). I did everything else as you specified, but those same exact files still won't defragment. Did I do something wrong?

I think part of the instruction to you above was missing.

Make sure your internet connection is off beforehand, then right click tray K icon, and exit Kaspersky. (Not pause).

In order for defrag to work smoothly Kaspersky needs to be off.

Then do your defrag.

I just finished doing this myself. After defrag is complete -- make sure you Enable Kaspersky again to put it back on.

Edited by Arrow5

I think part of the instruction to you above was missing.

Make sure your internet connection is off beforehand, then right click tray K icon, and exit Kaspersky. (Not pause).

In order for defrag to work smoothly Kaspersky needs to be off.

Then do your defrag.

I just finished doing this myself. After defrag is complete -- make sure you Enable Kaspersky again to put it back on.

Thanks for your help, I'll do it now.

Forgot to add -- if I remember correctly to turn Kaspersky back on, since it will not be showing in tray - I think if I can remember all I did was just go to my programs and find Kaspersky just clicked on it there to start it back up.

Forgot to add -- if I remember correctly to turn Kaspersky back on, since it will not be showing in tray - I think if I can remember all I did was just go to my programs and find Kaspersky just clicked on it there to start it back up.

Well, I've done everything you guys have recommended so far, but I still have the same problem. Any other suggestions? All help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, OMDA you better wait for a Moderator.

But the way I did it was I disabled protection in the Settings area of Kaspersky by taking out the check mark in the Enable protection box of that area at the top. Clicked Apply. Closed that window.

Then I right clicked the tray icon K & then exit after that.

Then Degrag went fine.

Exit should suffice. (I accidentally omitted that in my previous post)

Please see: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280066

Here is what I did:

Disconnected from the internet, Right clicked the red K tray icon, Clicked Exit, Defraged (the same files still would not defrag), Restarted Kaspersky, Reconnected to the internet.

Should I delete these fragmented files, or will it be fine to leave things as they are?

Do fragmented files slow down the computer or keep a program from working properly?

Please ignore.

Just curious: How many GB or MB or KB of files? Which files?

Please ignore.

Just curious: How many GB or MB or KB of files? Which files?

There are 30 different files, ranging in size from 57 KB to 168 MB (MB is Larger than KB, is that correct?)

Documents and Settings-All Users-Application Data-Kaspersky Lab-various letters and numbers.

Also Program Files-Kaspersky Lab-Kaspersky Internet Security 2012-various numbers and letters.

Fragments varie from 8 to 108 per file.

Unless some one else posts differently, you can just ignore this.

Almost forgot: Please see: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=197956

I'm sorry, but that is way over my head. I just don't know enough about this stuff to be able to understand what it all means, let alone, go about fixing the problem, but if you say leave it alone, that's what I'll do.

Thanks.

Any performance impact by these few files will be theoretical only. And they will never harm your computer.

Here’s what works for me:

1) Disconnect from the Internet.

2) Right click on the red K icon, click Settings, click the box icon tab, click Self-Defense, uncheck Enable Self-Defense, click OK.

3) Right click the red K icon again, click Pause protection, click Pause until reboot.

4) Defrag your hard drive. Your Windows defragmentation utility will now confirm in its report that your Kaspersky files have been defragmented.

5) Right click the red K icon, click Resume protection.

6) Check Enable Self-Defense which you unchecked (disabled) in step 2.

7) Reconnect to the Internet.

I hope this helps.

Here’s what works for me:

1) Disconnect from the Internet.

2) Right click on the red K icon, click Settings, click the box icon tab, click Self-Defense, uncheck Enable Self-Defense, click OK.

3) Right click the red K icon again, click Pause protection, click Pause until reboot.

4) Defrag your hard drive. Your Windows defragmentation utility will now confirm in its report that your Kaspersky files have been defragmented.

5) Right click the red K icon, click Resume protection.

6) Check Enable Self-Defense which you unchecked (disabled) in step 2.

7) Reconnect to the Internet.

I hope this helps.

I had the same problem and the above worked perfectly for me. To add to this: I have been beta testing Guild Wars 2 and my computer had the whole 15+ Gig client as a fragment at the end of my drive. It would not defragment. After following the above instructions, my windows defragged all the Kaspersky files AND moved/defragged the whole 15 Gig Guild Wars 2 client. Amazing! Thanks so much for this fix mfn!

You're very welcome. Glad it worked for you.