kwhatten

Newly updated to 2012 - first update is +45M ???

Folks -

Some help understanding, please.

I just updated my 2011 with the download of a 145M install file, which installed and rebooted and so on. I opened Kaspersky and saw that my database was out of sync, so I said "Update now" .

I am currently at 82,733KB of download and still climbing as it is only at 88% ???

It just finished and says it downloaded 6,646,474 signatures? Why aren't they part of the initial installation file ?

I will be wanting to install this product at a location that only has dial-up and a +80M download is just not gonna happen.

Any ideas as to what the issue is here and can I get around it at the dial-up location?

Thanks,

Ken

It is downloading patches a.b.c.d.e.f.g and the current definitions. The definitions can't be part of the installation as they are updated hourly. As for the patches I can't answer that.

Hi Ken - your first scans and first database updates are always the largest......the more frequently you allow for databases updates, the smaller they will be and the faster they will go. You may also want to update to the 2012 version of Kaspersky for increased performance and better security.

Hi Ken - your first scans and first database updates are always the largest......the more frequently you allow for databases updates, the smaller they will be and the faster they will go. You may also want to update to the 2012 version of Kaspersky for increased performance and better security.

This is 2012...

As to the inclusion, I disagree. The hourly updates can be made available to download at the same time I download the upgrade package.

I want to install this on a dial-up system as well. There is no way I can do what turned out to be +80M download to use this product. Is there any downloadable version of that initial update available?

Thanks,

Ken

Also,

For dial up: You can download the installer to a removable media on a PC that has good internet connection and transfer to dial up machine.

Regarding updates: for the dial up machine, one of these 2 methods should work for the initial updates then normal updates after that should work if set up to automatic. Please see: http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2012/all?qid=208284398 and http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2012/all?qid=208284399

Edited by rudger79

Hi, the other unofficial method to do this without needing to download all the bases again is the following:

1. Copy the following folder from your computer to a USB:

-for Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Data\Updater\Temporary Files\temporaryFolder

-for Windows Vista/7 - C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Data\Updater\Temporary Files

2. Install Kaspersky on the dialup computer and restart the computer

3. Copy the temporaryFolder you created on the USB to the computer

4. Right-click Kaspersky and click settings - update - update source - add...

5. Add the \temporaryFolder\ location and untick the "Kaspersky lab update servers".

6. Click all the OKs.

7. Right-click Kaspersky and let it update.

8. After Kaspersky's updated, right-click Kaspersky and click settings - update - update source. Delete the temporaryFolder source and tick the "Kaspersky lab update servers".

9. Click all the OKs and perform another update.

(Its also a good idea to restart the computer after this step to ensure all patches are installed)

Then you can delete the temporaryFolder file from your USB and computer.

Edited by dawgg

Hi, the other unofficial method to do this without needing to download all the bases again is the following:

1. Copy the following folder from your computer to a USB:

-for Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Data\Updater\Temporary Files\temporaryFolder

-for Windows Vista/7 - C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Data\Updater\Temporary Files

2. Install Kaspersky on the dialup computer and restart the computer

3. Copy the temporaryFolder you created on the USB to the computer

4. Right-click Kaspersky and click settings - update - update source - add...

5. Add the \temporaryFolder\ location and untick the "Kaspersky lab update servers".

6. Click all the OKs.

7. Right-click Kaspersky and let it update.

8. After Kaspersky's updated, right-click Kaspersky and click settings - update - update source. Delete the temporaryFolder source and tick the "Kaspersky lab update servers".

9. Click all the OKs and perform another update.

(Its also a good idea to restart the computer after this step to ensure all patches are installed)

Then you can delete the temporaryFolder file from your USB and computer.

Does this methode works always in any case ? Or does it cause any troubles ?

I am asking because i am wondering whats the difference between this easier methode than the regular official one.

Does this methode works always in any case ? Or does it cause any troubles ?

I am asking because i am wondering whats the difference between this easier methode than the regular official one.

Worked when I tried it.

Only potential scenario I haven't tried is different XP>Vista/7 (or vice-versa) and different architecture (32>64bit or vice-versa).

If it's the same OS and architecture, it should be fine.

Worst case scenario is that it'll say updates are corrupt and you need to either:

a)do it the official way as rudger said

b)update normally to get the rest of the updates which didn't successfully update - should be fewer to download

Edited by dawgg