I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.
There seems to be a serious (and annoying) bug in Kaspersky Anti-Virus (KAV) version 19 (licensed).
KAV randomly crashes if the system does NOT have an internet connection.

I have checked every possible scenario and killed every possible conflicting process to test this.
I have also completely removed and reinstalled the application, but that did not help.
The only consistent factor that causes the crash is the lack of an internet connection and update.
If there is no internet connection at system boot, after a certain period of time, avp.exe memory use spikes, the avp.exe ends and shortly after avpui.exe ends as well.

Here are the scenario's:
If the system is (re)booted with an internet connection, KAV keeps running.
If the system is (re)booted without an internet connection, but an internet connection is made available AND an update is performed, KAV keeps running, also if the internet connection is terminated after this update.
If the system is (re)booted with an internet connection, but NO update is performed, KAV crashes after only a couple of minutes or so.
If the system is (re)booted without an internet connection and no connection is made, a similar crash happens after only a couple of minutes or so.

The crash sequence is as expected:
As defined in Services, KAV restarts, crashes again, restarts a second time, crashes again and then must be started manually.
The time between crashes is very short, but random.
If an internet connection is established before the second crash occurs, then KAV keeps running for a while, but then two avpui.exe processes (and icons) might show up (strange behavior). Eventually avp.exe crashes yet again.
If an internet connection is established before the second crash occurs AND an update is performed, then KAV keeps running.
Of course, in every crash scenario, the KAV 'Previous application launch failed' pop-up is shown after (re)boot.

Sorry, but please do not reply with the obvious (all recent Windows updates have been performed, reinstalls have been tried, no conflicting software is running, default settings are used, etc.).
I have used KAV for many years (never needed support), this is a recent issue (started about a month ago?).

Thanks in advance for your support.

Edited by FastSlacker

12 minutes ago, FastSlacker said:

Previous application launch failed

Welcome. Can you please provide a GSI Log

Problem is solved. Remnants of incompatible software (bad uninstaller). Removed all junk manually, reinstalled KAV and now, no problems.
Although strange that KAV didn't catch it during install...
But happy it's okay now.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.