DIVERSE

KIS (spuriously) asks user to reboot in order to "complete disinfection"

Last night I got a warning (in an alarming red colour theme) from Kaspersky Internet Security (version 2019.0.0.1088(d), with updated databases) along the lines:

"Reboot needed to complete disinfection" or
"Reboot required to complete disinfection" or
"Reboot now to complete disinfection" or
"Reboot to complete disinfection" or similar

Before doing anything else I checked the latest reports within KIS, and found nothing related.  No detections, no indication of cleaning in progress. 

I rebooted, and KIS ran again, but still the reports within KIS showed nothing related:  no detections, and no indication of cleaning either in progress or completed. 

For good measure I also checked a few other things. 

1. I ran a freshly downloaded instance of TDSSkiller:  firstly in Safe Mode (Windows 8.1 x64) with ~default options selected, and then again in the normal boot mode with all/strictest options selected.  No threats were found. 
  2. I ran a freshly downloaded & installed instance of Malwarebytes.  No threats were found. 
  3. I ran the 'Quick Scan' in KIS.  No threats were found. 

I am a bit puzzled by what seems to be a false alarm.  Perhaps it is a small bug in the program? 
Maybe the engine in KIS got an update and advised a system reboot was needed, but displayed the wrong text??! 

I found a couple of people saw a similar message repeatedly

But I saw the message only once.  And I have either rebooted or turned my PC off and on again at least half a dozen times since then. 

Just wondering whether anybody else has seen this more recently, or can explain it? 

—DIV

Also,

I concur with xzz123 on this. Sometimes flukes like this can happen for whatever software reason. Especially since it looks like you did the testing, plenty good with TDSS killer, MBAM, and quicker scan with KIS. I believe you mentioned already that perhaps it was a typo type thing that was meant for just doing a restart is all, after updating.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:42 PM, The Shield said:

Try to perform a Full Scan and see what result gives you.

I seldom perform a Full Scan, because it is just so time consuming, and most of the files on my HDD are archival materials that are seldom accessed, unlikely to be infected, very unlikely to be newly infected, and unlikely to have any effect even if they were infected. 

I do, however, agree that the Quick Scan is relatively brief.  My main concern was to check whether anything had been loaded into RAM, so to speak, and was 'active'. 
As a matter of fact, I originally intended to run the Rootkit Scan from within KIS, which runs automatically from time to time, and seems to be more thorough than the Quick Scan, yet still less involved than the Full Scan.  In the end I couldn't see a way to launch the Rootkit Scan manually.  Therefore — although I didn't document it in my earlier posting — I additionally performed a couple of custom Selective Scans of my two main web browsers (installed application folders and user settings/etc. folders).  Likewise no threats were detected. 

I have just completed a Full Scan, and no relevant threats were detected.  I will add details in a separate post to follow shortly. 
My motivations for conducting the Full Scan were to provide feedback to this thread, and because I hadn't done one in quite a while (and never with version 19 of KIS).  Of course, there was also a small chance that the original warning regarding "disinfection" was legitimate, which need not be completely disregarded, although I agreed with users xzz123 and plb4333 that it was more likely a 'false alarm'/bug. 

—DIV

On 12/10/2018 at 6:42 PM, The Shield said:

Hello DIVERSE.

Try to perform a Full Scan and see what result gives you.

Further to my previous post, here are further details on my Full Scan.

Full Scan performed.  

Total "files" scanned = 6.7 million (as counted by Kaspersky).  
Time taken = sixteen to nineteen hours.  

Progress bar snapshots:
Commenced Full Scan at about 01:00.  
Status = "About 36 minutes left..." at about 09:36, so due to finish at about 10:12.  
Status = "About 18 minutes left...";  ten minutes later:  status = "About 17 minutes left..."!  So due to finish at about 10:30.  
Status = "Less than a minute left..." ("99%" complete) persisted for more than six hours!!!  Status commenced at/before 11:00, and task finished sometime between 17:00 and 20:30.  (Most of these last hours was taken up in scanning a single large compressed archive file.)  

It was disappointing that the displayed progress bar status was so wildly inaccurate. 

Nothing of interest was found by the scan: 

• several "backdoor" objects were recognised in website backups (already known);  
  • installer for downloader recognised (no threat);  
  • password management tool recognised in installer (no threat);  
  • adware recognised in installer (negligible threat);  
  • claimed trojan detected (using heuristics) in installer from reputable source (possible false positive) — automatically deleted by KIS.  

All of these were located in old backup archive folders that are seldom accessed, and would definitely not be new modifications.  

—DIV

Edited by DIVERSE
amend details.

Wow! No wonder you don't like to do Full Scans. I don't blame you at all! I had no idea. Here I thought my 300+k of files was large. lol...

The only thing I can think of for the wrong timing on display for how much is left, is that the scanning does a file count, but this does not factor in anything thats compounded. Like a zip or installer that has 100's of files inside, as eg:

Edited by plb4333

Hi, all. 

Maybe not exactly the same experience as the furry husky (OP), but I did also see something related to the title of this thread with the 2017 version of KIS.

My problem related to automatic forced rebooting of the computer immediately after completion of a software application update that was flagged by Kaspersky Internet Security.  Although I'd seen the advisory and manually chosen to initiate the third-party software application update, I was not expecting (or wanting) the system to automatically rebooted at the end of it. 

I thought I'd already posted about it, and was going to just paste a link here, but maybe I didn't end up posting about it, as I can't seem to find it. 

—DIV

15 hours ago, DIVERSE said:

... ...I thought I'd already posted about it, and was going to just paste a link here, but maybe I didn't end up posting about it, as I can't seem to find it. 

—DIV

Is it this topic thread, that I moved this post to?

On 12/22/2018 at 2:23 PM, richbuff said:

there is no url here!  where is this topic moving???  I have the same issue.

On 12/23/2018 at 6:23 AM, richbuff said:

Um, no.  And it's become quite confusing now! 

I realise you were trying to help, but I think you need to move my post of Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 03:10 PM back to its original location at topic/401103-extremely-annoyed ... by FURRYHUSKY1000.  (And, I suppose, the subsequent two/three replies.) 
After all, I was responding to FURRYHUSKY1000's thread title. 

Just to be clear, the rebooting problem alluded to (and very briefly described) in my post of Saturday at 03:10 PM was of automatic forced rebooting after using KIS to update a third-party software application
Not connected to the thread at topic/404186-kis-spuriously-asks- ... by DIVERSE which relates to a message warning the user (me) that I shouldat my convenience — perform a reboot in order to complete a disinfection (of some unspecified file). 

The most likely conclusion is I never posted about the forced rebooting problem previously, despite my hazy recollection that I had done.

—DIV

P.S.  Even if those two things had been related, it would have made more sense to me not to move my post, but merely to reply with a suggested link. 

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.