DIVERSE

KIS 2019, This application is not intended to be used in the European Union [GDPR] [merged]

Launched the 'update' executable downloaded from https://products.s.kaspersky-labs.com/homeuser/kis2019/19.0.0.1088ab/english-0.3670.0/5c42f68b/startup.exe
[By the way:  I couldn't get to this link from https://www.kaspersky.com.au/downloads/thank-you/internet-security on a few attempts.  The button "DOWNLOAD NOW" kept directing me back to the home page.  Not sure whether Kaspersky were doing some website modifications while I was browsing.] 

This showed a message at the bottom:  "This application is not intended to be used in the European Union". 
It doesn't stop me from installing, but it was unexpected, and I am curious about the reason why.  And what would be different about the executable designed for the EU?

So far my best guess is something to do with privacy, because I know Europe has beefed up privacy laws, whereas the disclosure for the Kaspersky Security Network with this executable included an incredible array of information that would be transmitted to Kaspersky. 
[By the way, I'd be more inclined to agree to join the Kaspersky Security Network if I were given the ability to (i) choose in advance what types of information I was willing to share on a per-category basis and/or (ii) confirm on a per-instance basis transmission of information.]

Thanks. 

Edited by DIVERSE

Thanks for the contribution, alex5723.
Yes, it seems the main difference is that the EU version adheres to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
https://malwaretips.com/threads/kaspersky-2019-eu-region-lock.85131/
https://www.eugdpr.org/

I would rather that all Kaspersky products (in all regions) were compliant with the GDPR, even if it isn't legally obligated.
User harlan4096 at the first link above states that users outside the EU can still install the EU version.

—DIV

Edited by DIVERSE
Buggy interface/connection caused replication of text.

To get to the Support Forum I click onto the head and earphones icon, next to the settings icon  at the bottom left of the KIS icon page and this takes me to the K Lab Technical Support page. At the top pf the page it lists 4 things: These being Licence Key;  Operating System; Databases Release Date and Application Version which in my case is KIS 19. 0.0.1088(d). All the information there is correct.

However I have noticed for the first time that under the Application Version it says: "This version is not intended to be used in the European Union"  which is exactly where I am. I am in the U.K. to be specific. The application version was automatically uploaded by K a couple of months ago so I had assumed that K knows where I am and had loaded the correct version. In pale green writing it says "other versions"

It may be that what I have noticed today is a line of text about the version not being intended for the European Union which has always been there and it is I who has failed to notice it.

Can I take it that this is simply a wrong line of text that K has not yet taken out of the Technical Lab Support page and thus I can ignore it?

I would appreciate it if any other users of KIS 19.0.0.1088(d) in the European Union has this line of text on their K Lab Tech Support page and even better if any U.K. users of KIS 19.0.0.1088(d) can say what appears on their Tech Lab Support screen under their Application Version

Thanks

mikethebike

Edited by mikethebike
Typo in Topic Heading

Thanks dh27564. I generally try and keep tabs on the range of threads on this forum but this one escaped me. It makes sense although one would think that as there must be many users in the EU it would not be beyond K's ability to upload the EU version to its EU users

mikethebike

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.