A scan with MBAM showed many instances of PUP malware. Is KIS 2014 supposed to detect this? Is there a setting I can use to make PUPs detectable by KIS?

Hi TrueGreen, have you tried this? Settings > Additional > Threats & Exclusions > Detect other software

Hi TrueGreen, have you tried this? Settings > Additional > Threats & Exclusions > Detect other software

Yes, I have this setting checked. I've cleaned out PUP with Malwarebytes, AWD cleaner, JRT and Hitman Pro (trial) per google search. I'll keep checking to see if it returns.

Thanks for quick reply.

Edited by TrueGreen

Yes, I have this setting checked.

Hello....As you know pups are not always malware but many times unwanted and Malwarebytes has Adopted an aggressive

PUP Policy in recent months on them and they are flagging them to make sure that you know about them and delete if not.

https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/2...hey-be-deleted-

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/07/...ive-pup-policy/

Thanks. I am trying malwarebytes trial with real-time protection to see how it works. Will probably stick with the free version though. And thanks for the links. The tip about not checking for removal, but the trick to check them all is a great help. I think I had about 140 detections yesterday and checked them all manually. There were some that I probably would have kept if I was paying attention.

Hi TrueGreen,

Nice to see you after a while.

I will tell you what the deal with pups are. Pups are legal.

The user of Kaspersky and the user of Malwarebytes have to manually check a box to detect them and/or delete them.

Q. Why?

A. Legal reasons.

The good guys (Kaspersky and Malwarebytes) do Not want to be contacted by the legal people who represent the pup purveyors.

Q. Why doesn't Kaspersky have a more aggressive pup detection policy?

A. Because, in addition to the above answer, the user can uninstall the pups.

Q. How?

A. uninstall any recently installed junk.

After that, uninstall any and all junk toolbars > reboot.

Uninstall/disable any and all junk browser add-ons and extensions in all of your browsers.

Remove any and all junk search providers in all of your browsers.

Then if need be, change your home page, in all of your browsers.

Q. How to prevent pups?

A. Don't download pups. Pups come bundled with other free junk. Don't download it, and you won't have it.

Thanks for the advice Richbuff. Things happened and I got away from the Forum. Now I'm really not that up to date on things. My computer seemed to slowing down so I did an MBAM scan and that started all the PUPs stuff. I guess this is the way we learn. Again thanks and good to hear from you again.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.