I've had horrible slow bootups and lock-ups since I installed VMware. I've tried adding most of the VMware components to the trusted zone, or stop it from starting up but no luck.

Anyone else having issues.. and more importantly have resolved them?

Btw I'm running v7.0.0.125

Edited by jonnyjl

There is a thread on this topic about vmware entitled "KIS 7 and start up problems" on page 12 of this forum, last post dated June 29, '07. Despite the thread title, there is information in the thread that may help you.

What is the exact process name you tried to add?

396810[/snapback]

Every single VMware process in services.msc, anything in msconfig, anything invoked by Vmware when running (which really is vmware.exe).

I've tried those things in the thread including disable Vmware DHCP service from starting up and disabling any vmware process that starts up that isn't necessary for VMware to function if the GUest OSes don't need external network access.

I'm going to redo a clean uninstall of KIS and Vmware, but I'm hesitant to reinstall VMware. My shutdowns seem to have skyrocketed too even with Vmware uninstalled, but startup is fast.

Oh, I also tried uninstall the Firewall portion of KIS>

Edited by jonnyjl

You definately should. You can stop those uneeded processes from auto starting up. They are mostly not needed, if you configure your NICs in "Bridged Mode". The WMWare process you should add to trusted zone is C:\Program Files\VMware\bin\vmware-vmx.exe. The other one is just a nice little UI, which has no effect whatsoever. Also WMWare can be quite hard drive and RAM intensive, so make sure you are not allocating too much to your Guest machines, otherwise crazy swapping can occur.

Edited by Whizard

You definately should. You can stop those uneeded processes from auto starting up. They are mostly not needed, if you configure your NICs in "Bridged Mode". The WMWare process you should add to trusted zone is C:\Program Files\VMware\bin\vmware-vmx.exe. The other one is just a nice little UI, which has no effect whatsoever. Also WMWare can be quite hard drive and RAM intensive, so make sure you are not allocating too much to your Guest machines, otherwise crazy swapping can occur.

396819[/snapback]

Believe I included vmware-vmx.exe too. Basically what I did was start Vmware, and anything that was listed as a running process that belonged to Vmware I added.

Oh and this was without any Guest machines running. Though I had 1 guest machine running that I tried to start back up after Pausing it and my system locked up. Only allocated 512mb ram.

My Laptop specs are Thinkpad z61m with Core2Duo T7200 @ 2ghz 2GB of RAM and my VMware Guest disk was on a 2nd drive in the UltraBay.

hello

are the vmware adapters using a static ip or a dynamic one?

396993[/snapback]

Static. With no difference in delay.

I'm now reading that this may just be an issue with VMWare 6. Like I said, I only disabled Vmware services not necessary for VMware to function, so basically any of the networking components. Seems like Vmware-authd.exe may be causing issues, stalling while any network adapters (read: physical) come up.

I'm going to uninstall KIS7 again and then install VMware disabling (set to manual) all services and just invoke a Batch file when I want to run VMWare and see how it goes.

Hopefully full uninstalls fixes the new shutdown stall I'm getting now (I do run UPHClean)

Edited by jonnyjl

you won't need any vmware services, on a normal machine, authd is used if you are running as a limited account

397171[/snapback]

I tried running all Services and applications disabled and it wigged out on me on startup. I could log off and go back in, but I did disable VMware network adapters this time.

Disabling Kaspersky's Antivirus NDIS protocol, both in the physical network adapters and the WAN Miniport won't adversely affect Kaspersky's Network protection right?

By that I mean, if I don't scan Network traffic (mail or otherwise) for Antivirus threats, but would like the firewall to function doing this won't hurt anything besides the Antivirus Network scans correct?

If you disable the NDIS mini-filter, KAV will revert to an old method. The one with an NDIS is actually prefered by Microsoft as well.

That varies to be honest with you some can get away without scanning traffic for malicious activity. You need to understand that this is a layered approach. And if you are removing the layers of protection you are on your own so to speak. But granted I dont even know your surfing habbits. I been testing KIS/KAV for quite sometime and NDIS is a really good improvement to traffic scans IMHO.

If you disable the NDIS mini-filter, KAV will revert to an old method. The one with an NDIS is actually prefered by Microsoft as well.

That varies to be honest with you some can get away without scanning traffic for malicious activity. You need to understand that this is a layered approach. And if you are removing the layers of protection you are on your own so to speak. But granted I dont even know your surfing habbits. I been testing KIS/KAV for quite sometime and NDIS is a really good improvement to traffic scans IMHO.

397466[/snapback]

I honestly don't need traffic scanning I stay in pretty safe sites and I use Firefox with NoScript, AdBlocker, etc to help when I'm not.

I already turned it off via the KIS settings on my desktop and Laptop long before, but removing it from the adapter seems to have helped some. Of course disabling VMware completely from starting it up helped a lot.

Edited by jonnyjl

I have the Core Duo 2 on my D620 Dell, quite a snappy configuration. Have no met a problem. Perhaps something you are running?

I have the Core Duo 2 on my D620 Dell, quite a snappy configuration. Have no met a problem. Perhaps something you are running?

397495[/snapback]

Well the thing is I cleaned uninstalled both KIS and VMware. Without VMWare but KIS installed startup isn't slow (after logging in is where it slows). Even with no components of Vmware 6 starting up, besides VMWare Bridge Protocol and the Non-Plug and Play Drivers, and with its network Adapters disabled there's a huge stall after logging in, and seems is though its as the network adapters are being initialized.

I removed the Kav's NDIS and the stall has been cut significantly. Maybe in a newer revision of KIS7 will help things but in the meantime File-Scan is completely sufficient for how my Laptop is utilized.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.