i9cripple

KIS 2017 - Custom Application Control settings being deleted

I received a reply to the somewhat angry and frustrated response I sent to tech support. Their reply is below. I noticed that this time around they did not say the fix will be coming in KIS 2018, just that they are working on the fix and it will be released in 2017 (no time frame given). I don't want to read anything into their reply but the fact that they did not mention KIS 2018 could be a good sign. The new year is only a few weeks away and maybe they got the clue that they need to make this a priority or risk bleeding customers (not that there is a better choice even with its flaws). In any case, I guess we can only hope for the best.

The e-mail they last sent...

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Kaspersky Lab Technical Support.

Thank you for the response.

I apologize for what happened and I understand the frustrations you are having at this time. Since the fix for the issue is still being worked on and will be released next year, how would you like to proceed with this case?

Please keep us posted.

Thank you.

Since the fix for the issue is still being worked on and will be released next year, how would you like to proceed with this case?

Next year around september version 2018 will be launched. :dash1:

So for a fix better not hold your breath until then.

And how we would like to proceed? Kaspersky should proceed. It should proceed with fixing the many bugs that are appearing not only in KIS2017 but also in KIS2016 (0xc0000142 error).

All too bad me thinks... :(

Is your method still working? The problems of losing custom rules and setting is still gone?

Then it might be worth while to start from scratch...

Hi guys,

sorry for this late answer. Yes, it's still working. Removing nearly all previous installations (Kaspersky removal tool) and reinstall KIS 2017 patch C solved this issue (for me).

I also removed the hibernate mode a long time ago, because of fingerprint access issue.

Hope you will succeed to make KIS working as it should.

Happy new year,

Stéphane.

Yes, it's still working.

I can confirm. I have also used the removal tool to delete all kinds of possible remains of previous installations. I went as far back as to installations of KIS2014. So I used the tool several times and rebooted in between. After that I did a fresh installation of KIS2017, inserted the old license key and set it up to my liking with all kinds of application rules. And KIS2017 seems to hold its settings...

So the problems seems to have arisen from the installation of KIS2017 over KIS2016. Yet another argument why it is always best to do just a new fresh install instead of an in place upgrade.

:dash1:

Spoken too soon... Only one day after KIS2017 was freshly installed, it started to lose custom application rules again. Back to KIS2016 now. Unbelievable how unstable KIS2017 is.

:dash1:

Spoken too soon... Only one day after KIS2017 was freshly installed, it started to lose custom application rules again. Back to KIS2016 now. Unbelievable how unstable KIS2017 is.

Hi renehoss,

for your information, I disabled Kaspersky Security Network, and authorize Kaspersky files to connect internet (need to untick in view options "hide Kaspersky files") ...

Here are a few settings that I was able to set on demand or directly in firewall settings.

Cheer,

Stéphane

865952Capture.png

Edited by stef.gold

Finally freshly installed after removal tool. It doesn't work.

Honestly, I've nothing more to say. Hope that Kaspersky support take care about this topic and all the issues listened so I can back soon to use KIS in the future.

Finally freshly installed after removal tool. It doesn't work.

Honestly, I've nothing more to say. Hope that Kaspersky support take care about this topic and all the issues listened so I can back soon to use KIS in the future.

There is good news and bad news for you guys. The good news is that Kaspersky is aware of the problem and they know what is causing it. I ran into this awhile back and worked with them to get some good trace logs of my system when the error occurred. They were able to determine what was happening from those trace logs (they did not tell me what the exact problem was though). Here is the bad news, they did tell me that a fix would be included in KIS 2018 and that they had no intention of releasing a security patch for KIS 2017. I know what you are thinking and yes....that is insanity. Look back a few pages in this thread and you will find my original posts with their e-mail replies.

Edited by USCanthony

Ive been a customer for many years, but such a reputation Kaspersky has and yet the reaction seem to be that this isnt a big problem that can put their customers at risk simply by installing their "protection" makes me wonder how much I actually can trust that they do what they promise. I will seriously reconsider my next subscription because this just dropped my trust in Kaspersky to give the protection they advertise I should get and the price is put accordingly.

You can spend hour(s) to configure Kaspersky and all the things you read about when selecting what type of protection you want to buy, things they have used as reasons to why you should pay them X amount of money for a license.

What if it also was explained before you buy that "Total Security" Kaspersky that shows you all these good features that you can use to protect you that it will forget how to protect what you ask them to protect you from.

Dont worry, it will remember to take over the control of Windows Firewall and Windows Defender which is automaticly disabled and stays that way, so even if you configure Windows Firewall and Defender just in case it wont help you a single bit.

And should there be any major problem with Kaspersky they have continuous database updates and patches that are included in your license, but with a disclaimer "Kaspersky is not obligated to fix major problems in the release you paid for and will fix them in the next release around the time when you have to purchase a new license."

I wonder how many would actually pay you or even trust that you know what you are doing if you where advertising yourself like this?

And the worst part, its not even exaggerated, its just how it actually is. Looks like the good reputation you have worked has gone over your head.

Every customer that has some knowledge about this are probably the one friends and family asks for advice when it comes to computers and since it appears that you think you can afford a group of annoyed customers since thats only how it appears since even I can figure out with my behind that most people that purchase this from you wont even notice this you probably have to think again and your response to let us wait for +6 months for a fix is only points towards this too.

At least you replied honestly instead of making up lies that a patch is on the way soon, but you also showed how little you care about your paying customers and that you probably have gotten to big for your own good.

Thanks @USCanthony for the update.

I'm thinking only that, as I've already wrote, Application Control and Firewall work in tandem. In my Win7 x64, every reboot of PC Kaspersky doesn't remember not only custom settings or personal folder subgroups, but some applications too without default settings changed (and everytime I've to set again permissions). This is a severe bug. Therefore, or this issue affects few 'junk unlucky' users or other users don't see what happens (maybe because they have set on 'Perform reccomendation action automatically' and 'Load rules from KSN').

My protection PC configuration is set with KIS and Spyshelter free in background and Malwarebytes free as second scanner on demand. Now I've to change all due to a firewall compromized wich doesn't remember applications related to Application Control. Moreover, Malwarebytes improves his premium product (with anti-ransomware and anti-exploit) and Spyshelter in not free anymore and there is Zemana Antilogger too (I want in background keystroke encryption and not only in SafeMoney or browser). Now I'll see on AV comparative If I've to choose another internet security or I can find a good free alternative for antivirus and firewall, obviously because I haven't so much money to spend in protection software.

It's a pity.

Edited by KKK-User

I have been using KIS 2016 because of this problem with KIS 2017 (I posted about it in this topic back in the Fall). Since my subscription is ending in July, I did a quick test to see if the problem has been fixed. It has not. I should have found and read this old topic before spending the time to test 2017 again! It's very disappointing. I have used KAV or KIS for over 10 years on several computers. Not saving custom settings is completely unacceptable. And, to be honest, I'm wondering in what way it will be fixed in KIS 2018. By eliminating custom settings? I will not renew until and unless I see that KIS 2018 has solved the problem and still allows custom settings.

I will not renew until and unless I see that KIS 2018 has solved the problem and still allows custom settings.

Just take a look here: <del>

And you will find KIS2018. And I can confirm KIS2018 is working correctly with firewall & custom application control settings...

Edited by richbuff
2018 is Beta, and this is Home User section, so the unofficial link is deleted. :)

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.