Sign in to follow this  
SAJFLAD

Why increased file count with full scan?

Hi

I clean installed kis15...361 approx two months ago, which is fully updated, and run on updated windows vista. A full scan, run weekly to fortnightly, used to show approx 0.2 Million files scanned, but a couple of weeks ago the file count jumped to around 1.7 Million, last week it was around 2.2 Million, yesterday afternoon it was approx 2.7 Million and yesterday evening it was around 2.2 Million. Since the clean install, the settings have (observably at least) remained unchanged but the file count has increased significantly, therefore, any ideas why the big increase using the same settings?

GSI can be supplied but just wondered why in principle the number would increase?

Thanks

Hello,

If you have Google Chrome installed, the increase in number of files that are scanned has to do with that specific browser. I noticed this and made a comment couple months ago about the large number of files KIS is scanning since a recent Chrome version update. Ever since then the files have been in the vicinity of 1-2 million files being scanned which takes about an hour to two hours depending on the machine. The increased number of files also has to do with Chrome keeping the old version of there browser when updating to a newer version. This causes KIS to scan basically two browser files (old one and new one).

You can do one of the following. The simplest is to go to advance settings in scan options and tell KIS to ignore archives when it scans. OR you could uninstall Google Chrome and use a different browser like Firefox or IE 11. Or you could manually delete the old Chrome version in your program files thus reducing the number of files KIS scans.

If any of the above suggestions doesn't apply to your specific issue, you can wait for support to provide a better solution. :cb_punk:

Edited by Allsop

Hello,

If you have Google Chrome installed, the increase in number of files that are scanned has to do with that specific browser. I noticed this and made a comment couple months ago about the large number of files KIS is scanning since a recent Chrome version update. Ever since then the files have been in the vicinity of 1-2 million files being scanned which takes about an hour to two hours depending on the machine. The increased number of files also has to do with Chrome keeping the old version of there browser when updating to a newer version. This causes KIS to scan basically two browser files (old one and new one).

You can do one of the following. The simplest is to go to advance settings in scan options and tell KIS to ignore archives when it scans. OR you could uninstall Google Chrome and use a different browser like Firefox or IE 11. Or you could manually delete the old Chrome version in your program files thus reducing the number of files KIS scans.

If any of the above suggestions doesn't apply to your specific issue, you can wait for support to provide a better solution. :cb_punk:

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I'll try deleting the old version of Chrome and see if that makes a significant change.

cheers

Hi

Using KIS15...361 ( c ) and Google Chrome, around 3,300,000 files were scanned doing Full Scans. A few days ago I deleted Chrome and now use Firefox (39), and the Full Scan file count now comes to around 131,000.

Does such a big drop in the file count seem normal? Yesterday, using BT Yahoo Mail I had to pause KIS for a few seconds to get something within Mail to work (KIS was preventing operation of signing out, which it has allowed previously without issue). Therefore, I'm concerned that malware got onto my PC during those few seconds. The full scan (with the 131K) file count, and scanning with Malwarebytes, found no threats but I worry that malware could be obscurring itself.

Thanks

Edited by totallybaffled

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.