cott@scienceworld.ca

Kaspersky 10 acting weird, blocking websites, not allowing outlook profiles to load

Hey there.

I am having various issues with kav across multiple machines. Not all problems are the same and they only have just started over the last few days. Some symptoms below:

- Some SSL pages not loading in chrome "server aborted connection"

- outlook taking a long time to do various tasks

- some outlook shared mailboxes not downloading new mail

- performance issues with virus scanner when enabled

- dell switches (for example, 3448p) render garbage to ALL web browsers when KAV is on, (to reproduce, select Switch - Address Tables -> Dynamic address), which is just weird, but has occurred previously some time ago and was related to kav at that time. The problem completely dissapears when kav is disabled. Simply reload the web page in any web browser (ie, ff, chrome) and the tables are rendered correctly.

I have now turned off the mail component as was suggested in another thread. But is anyone else seeing this sort of combination of issues? I dont really have a lot of evidence at this time and i dont have any chkdsk errors on bootup or licensing issues, as was mentioned in the current popular problem thread with kav.

To try and fix, I have also applied the latest service rollup for exchange 2010 which has been out for a few days. The problems started before i had applied the windows update ,and they did not get better after it. which is why i have disabled mail integration.

Sorry that there is not too much reproducible information to go on here. I just wanted to log some weird occurrences as of late and see if anyone else had a similar problem. The response to the kav 8 abcd patch issue was a 3 week nightmare, only finally solved by upgrading to kav 10. So I am trying to report problems early, in case it takes another two weeks to fix. Unfortunately that means I do not have all the information.

Ok so a reproducible thing, is that any additional mailboxes in outlook will not receive mail on some clients, or crash outlook 2010, when the virus scanner is running.

This is despite of disabling the mail antivirus component. i have to completely disable it (which only works till reboot, and i cant do over VNC (THANKS GUYS)) or uninstall it. and personally i am so sick of this program.

1 major cockup a year is excusable, but now it seems it has become a monthly pain that i do not need.

Oh and there used to be a setting somwhere in installation tasks which was "apply once and do not reapply". Does anyone know where that is in administration server kav 10? i want to configure the automatic kaspersky install to only install one time, so when i start removing it from certain problematic machines, it is not auto pushed back.

Edited by notthebest

For your VNC portion of it, have you added your particular vnc server in as an exception - something like http://support.kaspersky.com/7568, but apply "Allow interaction with application interface" to your VNC via KSC10 policy for your KES10. Self defense is part of the program, work with it, not against yourself.

As far as the outlook bit, ol2010sp1+patches x86 or x64? Tried manually installing KES10 without the email component? What other plugins for outlook are you running?

How do you have your KES10 push task configured?

Ok so a reproducible thing, is that any additional mailboxes in outlook will not receive mail on some clients, or crash outlook 2010, when the virus scanner is running.

This is despite of disabling the mail antivirus component. i have to completely disable it (which only works till reboot, and i cant do over VNC (THANKS GUYS)) or uninstall it. and personally i am so sick of this program.

1 major cockup a year is excusable, but now it seems it has become a monthly pain that i do not need.

Oh and there used to be a setting somwhere in installation tasks which was "apply once and do not reapply". Does anyone know where that is in administration server kav 10? i want to configure the automatic kaspersky install to only install one time, so when i start removing it from certain problematic machines, it is not auto pushed back.

Yes you are correct. White listing tightvnc has solved the issue of me not being able to interact with it. thanks.

as for the outlook problems, we only use office 2010 x86. version is 14.0.6129.5000

The biggest issue is that shared mailboxes do not refresh their mail. If KAV is active, the shared mailbox will not recieve mail. disable kav, and the mailbox pops back into life, sending and receiving.

As for deployment of KAV, we (were) using a task which deployed kav to any computer on the domain which did not have it every hour. I have since disabled this and started removing kav to get things working again.

I have not tried to manually deploy it. As the problem just started happening I think around the 14th of april, I can only assume its another flawed update. I really don't want to waste my time tracking down something which is most likely kaspersky behaving badly and most likely cannot be fixed by me.

As per your advice, i think I will also try whitelisting "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" and see if that makes things behave better. worth a shot.

It unfortunate more people are not having the problem though. Also i should mention that before whitelisting outlook, my personal shared mailbox works fine. so the problem is sporadic.

Edited by notthebest

Is it just me or it is just a bit crazy that the support solutions suggested for these errors is to de-activate or remove parts of the security suite that you originally purchased to protect? Worse yet, when you do remove the option it still doesn't work right. Very upset with the support received.

For the shared folders/mailbox I do not use those myself. I would say pull the standard gsi/evtx & create a https://companyaccount.kaspersky.com ticket. Most likely they are going to ask you do a manual install on at least one machine without the mail component even installed (AV can still be managed with klagent installed, just install it manually without component(s) selected). Is it happening at all to users running outlook without shared folders/mailboxes (bit it theirs shared or connecting to shared)?

What are you running for AV on the exchange server side, & do you have all the exceptions in place?

Dell switches & other internal websites - do you have your local network listed under firewall >> networks? Add it if not. If so, try disabling web anti-virus & does it work? If so add that internal url to trusted urls & re-enable, test. Not a normal problem that I have seen with *internal* sites, but I have seen external sites behave that way at times. For those external SSL sites, are you having this issue across multiple OS & multiple browsers?

Performance issues - system watcher disabled, file antivirus not checked to scan network drives, etc? Check settings in this thread - forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=262656

Yes you are correct. White listing tightvnc has solved the issue of me not being able to interact with it. thanks.

as for the outlook problems, we only use office 2010 x86. version is 14.0.6129.5000

The biggest issue is that shared mailboxes do not refresh their mail. If KAV is active, the shared mailbox will not recieve mail. disable kav, and the mailbox pops back into life, sending and receiving.

As for deployment of KAV, we (were) using a task which deployed kav to any computer on the domain which did not have it every hour. I have since disabled this and started removing kav to get things working again.

I have not tried to manually deploy it. As the problem just started happening I think around the 14th of april, I can only assume its another flawed update. I really don't want to waste my time tracking down something which is most likely kaspersky behaving badly and most likely cannot be fixed by me.

As per your advice, i think I will also try whitelisting "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" and see if that makes things behave better. worth a shot.

It unfortunate more people are not having the problem though. Also i should mention that before whitelisting outlook, my personal shared mailbox works fine. so the problem is sporadic.

I can confirm the display, or non-display, when accessing the web interface of a Dell 3448P switch. I ran into this yesterday. Until I saw this thread I thought it was my browser. Sure enough, when I disabled KES 10 the address tables displayed correctly.

I can confirm the display, or non-display, when accessing the web interface of a Dell 3448P switch. I ran into this yesterday. Until I saw this thread I thought it was my browser. Sure enough, when I disabled KES 10 the address tables displayed correctly.

@it's all good did you do as I instructed notthebest to do & how did that turn out?

Yeah I dont have time to dick around with a hundred work arounds for all the problems with this software. I will not be renewing my license for kaspersky and will just bare with it till the end of term.

If i install it manually on one machine, what does that prove exactly? As I said the issue is sporadic. As in, it does not effect everyone, or every machine. On exchange server we are running kaspersky 8 for exchange. Exchange 2010 has a feature which allows someone with FULL CONTROL over a mailbox to have it auto added to their outlook client. It seems to be mostly these mail boxes which are not working, in some cases. In some cases the mailbox doesnt open, in some cases outlook crashes. Whitelisting outlook at various paths has not helped.

System watcher, firewall component and network attack blocker have been disabled, for months.

I have deselected "scan network drives" in the file component now, but performance issues are hard to monitor. especially for my users. I can only hope it helps.

Look i appreciate the input and help, but I want an official fix from kaspersky. Not disabling components or working around them. It did not always have this problem, so they broke it and now must fix it in my opinion.

I think I have literally had to whitelist every piece of software which uses the network at this point. The false positives are mind bogglingly frequent. I appreciate that you seem to be somewhat of an expert on working around these various problems. I am not sure whether to commend or cry for you.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.