Sign in to follow this  
TStark

Crosshairs problem in IE when using passwords

I installed KIS 2013 yesterday and things seemed to be running okay (although it's about 10x slower on log offs, shut-downs, and opening IE).

Just noticed today however, that when I put a password in online the cursor turns into a crosshair and I can't left click on anything. I have to use right-click and open to navigate links and even then some of the pages look pretty barebones and unnavigatable. Sometimes the crosshairs problem happens right after I've put my password in, sometimes it doesn't show up until I log out of whatever site I'm on, but it always lingers in that window until I shut it down. I've had to deactivate protection just to be able to post this because it wouldn't let me right click on "post topic" or tab to it.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the new virtual keyboard feature since it has a brief mini-pop-up in the password field, or perhaps something to do with the safe money feature, which I've found also doesn't work (it always has a "RUN ERROR ... Failed to run the protective browser 0X80010102" message and won't let me actually open the financial institution added in a browser).

Is there a quick fix to these two, possibly-related problems? Should I reset IE8 settings to default? Do I need to upgrade to IE9?

Thanks in advance.

Always upgrade to the most current version of IE that you can.

What operating system?

Did you uninstall the old version first, before you installed 2013?

Hi, Rich, thanks for the quick reply ...

Yes, I completely uninstalled KIS 2011 and rebooted computer before installing KIS 2013. And I am using Windows 7.

Again, everything seems to work fine except when I try to use passwords in the browser, then I get the "+" cursor.

I can try upgrading to IE9 but I'm wondering if it's a settings issue. Perhaps if I turn off the VK?

1. Install IE 9 for windows 7 > reboot. Any better?

That is the first step: Keep all of your applications up to date. Keeping IE up to date is very important. There is only one place for old versions of browsers: The Old Browser Museum. You can start the Old Browser Museum, stock it with old versions of browsers, and charge all the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em.

If you are not starting the Old Browser Museum, then upgrade your browser(s) now.

Upgrading to IE9 seems to have done the trick in regards to the crosshair/password problem--thanks, Rich!

(And IE8 has officially gotten a display case at the Museum! ;))

I do miss the "work offline" feature that IE8 had; the new one doesn't have it anymore. Oh, well ... at least now I can log onto sites!

In regards to the Safe Money feature, I wouldn't be surprised if IE9's fixed that issue, too. I'll test that out later and report back if I have any problems.

Thanks again for the support, Rich! :)

I do miss the "work offline" feature that IE8 had; the new one doesn't have it anymore.
It seems to still be there: post-135305-1362300838_thumb.png

Thanks, Rudger, I just noticed that myself and was about to mention it when I saw your reply! :)

For some reason it's not in the Menu Bar Tools list but it is in the Command Bar Tools list. It's strange, though, in help they have a whole paragraph explaining how it is no longer a feature and even give a couple of feeds suggestions of how to get around that. Maybe they put the feature back in an update but forgot to correct the help info?

Anyway, thanks for the post! :)