JimmyN

Scans Freezing Since KIS 2013 F' Upgrade

I'm running KIS 2013 (Windows 8 32bit), since the 'f' patch update Rootkit scans and Critical area scans appear to freeze at 50% and 95%. I've tried to stop the scans but they still appear in the KIS Task manager list and trying to clear them fails. KIS is also using between 86% - 98% CPU time.

GetSystemInfo link below

GetSystemInfo

Edited by JimmyN

Just noticed I'm having the same problem.

Rootkit scans are not finishing. Not tried full system scan yet.

post-98355-1362003931_thumb.png

Ade

I'm running KIS 2013 (Windows 8 32bit), since the 'f' patch update Rootkit scans and Critical area scans appear to freeze at 50% and 95%. I've tried to stop the scans but they still appear in the KIS Task manager list and trying to clear them fails. KIS is also using between 86% - 98% CPU time.

GetSystemInfo link below

GetSystemInfo

I have the same problem

Fullscan and the scan of the critical areas freeze . The green ring is running in circles and i cant stop it. :icon20:

Even a system restart did not help to stop the Scans

Win 8 x64

KS Antivir2013

GetSystemInfo link below

http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...mp;key=NqRPmW6j

Did you upgrade to Windows 8 on top of the old operating system? While Kaspersky was installed?

Un and re install Kaspersky: Uninstall Kaspersky > reboot > re install Kaspersky > reboot > do a databases update > reboot.

Please post your GetSystemInfo report link, instructions are located in the fifth (5th) Important topic.

Please see the small print that is located at the bottom of this message.

Un and re install Kaspersky: Uninstall Kaspersky > reboot > re install Kaspersky > reboot > do a databases update > reboot.

Uninstallation was not possible system crashed during the uninstallation process

A complete reinstallation of Win 8 and KS AV solved the problem

Thanks for the advice Richbuff I will try your recommendation, I installed Windows 8 over Windows 7 whilst using KIS Patch 'e' and had to follow your recommendation to get it to work, so my question is will I have to do this every time a new 'letter' patch is issued by Kaspersky ?

Same problem is also present on Windows XP. Rootkit scan also stucks at 50% while scanning this file:

C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2013\volenum.ppl

Edited by Sass Drake

Starting today, I'm getting the same problem with my Win 7 64bit laptop. Automatic Rootkit scans are sticking at 50% and can't be stopped. CPU usage by AVP.exe *32 is around 25% constant, and my laptop fan is running continuously at full speed. This is not a good situation.

Prior to today all was running well.

Kaspersky Support link shows I'm running KIS 2013 version 13.0.1.4190 (f)

I obtain the same problem: KIS 2013 13.01.4190 (f) freezes at rootkit scan. I noticed it freezes when is scanning c:\Windows\system32\consent.exe. The avp process occupies about to 13% CPU (one thread of 4-cores CPU with hyperthreading). The operating system is Windows 7 x64.

Starting today, I'm getting the same problem with my Win 7 64bit laptop. Automatic Rootkit scans are sticking at 50% and can't be stopped. CPU usage by AVP.exe *32 is around 25% constant, and my laptop fan is running continuously at full speed. This is not a good situation.

Prior to today all was running well.

Kaspersky Support link shows I'm running KIS 2013 version 13.0.1.4190 (f)

Same thing began this AM (0500 PST) on new Dell Inspirion Purchased 11-30-12 running Win 8 pre-installed. Ran Vulnerability Scan just prior (to Critical Scan) and it completed in the normal time (09:55 minutes in this case).

Critical Scan locked in continual loop at 97%, CPU usage 25%-35%. Clicking "Stop" offers "Are you sure..." prompt, responding "Yes" does nothing, back to "loop". Even "Shut Down" the system will not stop the problem.

Running KIS 2013 version 13.0.1.4190 (f)

Edited by K2009

Thanks for the advice Richbuff I will try your recommendation, I installed Windows 8 over Windows 7 whilst using KIS Patch 'e' and had to follow your recommendation to get it to work, so my question is will I have to do this every time a new 'letter' patch is issued by Kaspersky ?
You're welcome. No, just uninstall Kaspersky before you install a new operating system, then re-install Kaspersky after you install the new operating system.

Please see the fifth Important topic and also please provide historical background about how and when the operating system was upgraded and if Kaspersky was installed before or after.

Richbuff:

Please see the fifth Important topic and also please provide historical background about how and when the operating system was upgraded and if Kaspersky was installed before or after.

Just powered up (0545 PDT) scan still absolutely locked in loop after system shut down of nearly 13 hours.

Again, Dell new as of 11/30/13, Win8 pre-installed, KIS 2013 installed clean as soon as system set up. Has been running well these last three months, with middling issues.

24 hours ago this "event" arose unable to stop scan loop, no confidence in security. Since I am unable to disengage KIS, can I uninstall confidently at this point?

:aa:

Richbuff said:

My Win7 64bit SP1 laptop has been stable for the last 18 months. KIS2013 was installed in Dec'12 (after uninstalling KIS2012). Until yesterday (patch f), there were no problems using KIS.

As well as the Rootkit Scan lock-up, I've realised that using the Critical Areas scan also causes lock-up.

My GIS report is at: http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...225d207a4b7676b

My wife's Vista (32bit) PC just received KIS2013 patch f this morning, but her Rootkit and Critical Areas scans still function ok. Her PC has fundamentally the same applications installed as I do.

I wonder what is common to the people experiencing this problem?

My Win7 64bit SP1 laptop has been stable for the last 18 months. KIS2013 was installed in Dec'12 (after uninstalling KIS2012). Until yesterday (patch f), there were no problems using KIS.

As well as the Rootkit Scan lock-up, I've realised that using the Critical Areas scan also causes lock-up.

Getting exactly the same problem on my desktop running Win7 SP1 64bit, had KIS2013 running for six months with no problems prior to patch F update only realised after reading this thread, now notice rootkit locks at 50% and critical area locks up at 97% of scan.

http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...03127e47c5b8180

Edited by cajef

I have a similar problem.

In windows Vista administrator account, full, critical areas, vulnerability and rootkit scans all work normally.

However, in Vista standard account, full, vulnerability and rootkit scans all work normally but critical areas scan sticks at 97% (on 'consent.exe').

I usually do these scans weekly with no problem, so is almost definitely related to patch 'f'.

I thought about doing a clean install but won't the problem just come back once kasp is updated to 'f' again?

Any ideas please?

Edited by totallybaffled

My Win7 64bit SP1 laptop has been stable for the last 18 months...
If Malwarebytes and Spywareblaster are installed, please uninstall them > reboot.

From your Event Viewer: "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the AVP service."

Please disconnect from the internet, then disable Kaspersky self defense (located in Settings > fourth cardboard box icon), then exit Kaspersky via right click the red K tray icon, then reboot, then re-enable Kaspersky self defense > apply > ok, then re-connect to the internet.

If this issue persists, please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/en/support/helpdesk

Getting exactly the same problem on my desktop running Win7 SP1 64bit...
If Malwarebytes is installed, please uninstall it > reboot.

From your Event Viewer: "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the AVP service."

Please disconnect from the internet, then disable Kaspersky self defense (located in Settings > fourth cardboard box icon), then exit Kaspersky via right click the red K tray icon, then reboot, then re-enable Kaspersky self defense > apply > ok, then re-connect to the internet.

If this issue persists, please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/en/support/helpdesk

GSI report at GSI ReportAde

Any ideas please?
Yes. Something about a gsi report.

Yes. Something about a gsi report.

Sorry, here it is: http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...5c32bb69cc47b64

PS I see in the report that Geardrvs is shown as possibly incompatible. I have previously tried as much as I can do to remove this to no avail. I have:

- run the Norton removal tool

- searched using terms norton/symantec/geardrvs and removed findings

- deleted items from the registry, as per a post in the forum

- cleared the 'cleaner' folder in the kasp lab folder (have since formatted C:\ and not touched the cleaner folder)

Yet Geardrvs still remains.

Edited by totallybaffled

Richbuff:

Just powered up (0545 PDT) scan still absolutely locked in loop after system shut down of nearly 13 hours.

Again, Dell new as of 11/30/13, Win8 pre-installed, KIS 2013 installed clean as soon as system set up. Has been running well these last three months, with middling issues.

24 hours ago this "event" arose unable to stop scan loop, no confidence in security.

Since I am unable to disengage KIS, can I uninstall confidently at this point?

K2009 :aa:

Hello, I am going on 40 hours with this problem and none of the suggestions thus far seem to apply to my situation. New Dell system Win 8 pre-installed, KIS 2013 clean installed after MacAfee 90-day trial uninstalled. Can you address the two queries above??

If Malwarebytes and Spywareblaster are installed, please uninstall them > reboot.

Nothing like that installed...

Returning "File not found" after selecting "Application not running...", I was going to upload my GPI...

Should I attempt the above? Your suggestion in response to a somewhat different situation than my own.

Question: Until this problem is resolved can I safely go on-line, is firewall still effective during this malfunction?

K2009 :aa: :dash1: :pray:

Richbuff, brilliant. Thank you very much. Everything looks back to normal. :bravo:

post-98355-1362256047_thumb.png

Prior to trying Richbuffs suggestions, I thought I would try the Critical Areas scan (with Rootkit Scan enabled) and Vulnerability scan once more today, Saturday.

Guess what - no problems, the scans ran normally!

Since yesterday's lock-up problems, there have been 2 auto-updates, the most recent at 8pm UK time

I'll contine to monitor the situation for the next day or two and report back.

AllanR:

Prior to trying Richbuffs suggestions, I thought I would try the Critical Areas scan (with Rootkit Scan enabled) and Vulnerability scan once more today, Saturday.

Guess what - no problems, the scans ran normally!

Since yesterday's lock-up problems, there have been 2 auto-updates, the most recent at 8pm UK time

I'll contine to monitor the situation for the next day or two and report back.

Were your scan(s) in question looping continuously (ie the green dashes proceeding around the circle)? Mine have been doing so nearly 50 hours, if you did stop them, how please? :aa:

My last update shows 49minutes ago (ca 0145 PDT), still no change. :ireful3:

I have been advised by Dell tech, failing help here, to "Refresh" my system. I am very leery as to what this would do to the KIS problem, and the KIS app in general. :unsure:

K2009

Edited by K2009

AllanR, KIS tech at al:

AllanR:

Were your scan(s) in question looping continuously (ie the green dashes proceeding around the circle)? Mine have been doing so nearly 50 hours, if you did stop them, how please? :aa:

My last update shows 49minutes ago (ca 0145 PDT), still no change. :ireful3:

I have been advised by Dell tech, failing help here, to "Refresh" my system. I am very leery as to what this would do to the KIS problem, and the KIS app in general. :unsure:

K2009

OK, out of sheer desperation (closing on three days), I tried the fix suggested here (quoted below) though it did not seem to correspond to my own configuration status:

Followed the steps carefully, problem (at least the looping scan icons) appears solved...fingers crossed. :dance2:

Did not try system refresh. Was advised as safe thing to do as one will not lose files and settings (thus not facing a Win8 "start from scratch" with added apps scenario). However "Inside-Out Windows 8" (p453) implied all desktop apps, etc, would be lost (ie reinstallation all round) and to be certain to make sure of any license or products keys that would be necessary for reinstallation. So be circumspect about "Refresh"...

If any new KIS scan glitches arise in the next few days, I'll repost to this topic, if all goes well then "silence is golden [no news...]"! :beer:

K2009

Edited by K2009