Sign in to follow this  
Mcmaster

malicious url googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads

Today has been out of the ordinary.

While surfing around GaiaOnline I clicked on a thread and all of a sudden Kaspersky blocked me saying there was a malware there. I found this incredibly strange since I've been visiting this site for over a year with Kaspersky and never once had a problem. But then it got worse...

I visited the website of a radio station I listen to. I regularily check out this website and have never had a problem with it. All of a sudden I get four "suspicious" attacks all in a row. THEN I visit Youtube, which I do nearly every day, and for the first time recieved an attack (presumably an ad) from that site as well.

Luckily Kaspersky "denied" all these attacks and my main Kaspersky screen is still green (though for one reason or another the five assumed ad attacks aren't showing up in my general report - only the detailed one).

What on earth is going on!? These sites that I've been visiting for more than a year now which Kaspersky labelled safe are all of a sudden covered in malware and viruses!

Note (for the attached files):

1. The "Hoax.Anti-virus" came from Gaia. That's the malware that tried to attack my computer.

2. The first four of the "web anti-virus" (pubads) came from the radio station website (kiss 92.5) and the bottom one (googleads) came from Youtube's main page.

Has Kaspersky done something new to its system so it attacks any virus that might be in an ad? This whole thing made me rather nervous because I'm used to being on these sites daily and not having a single problem. This is the first time I've ever received threats from any of these webpages.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Holly

copy_of_log2.txt

detailed_log.txt

Could it possibly be that there's just a mass virus attack on the computer right now? But if this is the case then why are certain websites being attacked and some not?

A site like Youtube I can understand being a target but if Youtube is being targeted then why isn't Google? Google seems to work just fine. The Canadian Broadcasting Company's website is also fine - no viruses have been detected there...and yet a small website like the radio station's has a virus.

Maybe my assumption is right and it's in the ads they're putting up.

I believe Kaspersky identifying many sites as malicious sites is a mistake on Kaspersky's part. I get the same error messages as well, on any website which contains Google AdSense scripting. This is obviously false because I run my own website which has Google AdSense, and it's saying my own website has a virus.

After I saw this I did some research and apparently this has happened in the past. I'm not sure how they could make this same mistake twice, but it's costing me money, as I'm sure it is many others.

I hope they fix it soon.

edit: add quote:

Please send full details to the Lab, instructions are located in the third important topic located near the top of the Virus section of this forum. And here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=13881
Edited by richbuff

The same thing has been happening to me within the last few hours.

I get several "malicious url detected" messages everytime I open Google Chrome and with some other websites including YouTube.

First off, I sent the information to Kaspersky. (Thanks for the link!)

Secondly, I don't have Google Chrome (as far as I know). As P.V. said it might just be Google AdSense over all.

In any case I informed Kaspersky of the problem. Hopefully they'll have received a lot of notices about this and fix it soon.

That explains the ads stuff...but not the Hoax.FakeAntivirus. That is still a mystery to me...I'm thankful, at least, that it didn't infect my computer. Kaspersky says it both detected and denied it.

((I'm just glad I'm not the only one going through this! It really freaked me out!))

Edited by HollyS

Here's what I got from Kaspersky Lab:

Hello,

Sorry, it was a false detection. It will be fixed in the next update.

Thank you for your help.

Regards, Anton Kalinin

Virus Analyst

Hopefully the next update will be soon.

Hopefully the next update will be soon.

That's fantastic news, rich. Thank you so much for your help!