Hi, I am a licensed KAVPP 5.0 user with a key good until 07. I see that I am entitled to a free upgrade to eiher KAV 6.0 or KIS 6.0 and have subsequently dl'ed but, Not installed either. At the same time I had occasion to purchase and install a copy of KAV 6.0 in a friend's WinXP Home PC. I want to make a backup copy of the license key and have searched the knowledge base with No luck. On my own Win98SE PC and KAVPP 5.0, I know where the key is located but, Not in KAV 6.0 in WinXP. Can someone point me in the right direction here ? Thanks.

Well, i don't think there's a key present if activating by code or even if activating by a key file in kis/kav 6.

If activating by code a key file isn't generated, if activating by key file the key isn't copied somewhere else, it's still only in the location from which you activated.

What if you have to redownload a copy of it on a newly reformatted machine and have to reinstall KAV. It's not going to have the keyfile in the download......where do you find the key???

What if you have to redownload a copy of it on a newly reformatted machine and have to reinstall KAV.  It's not going to have the keyfile in the download......where do you find the key???

On the cd/flopy where you saved it for future use. ;)

Well, i don't think there's a key present if activating by code or even if activating by a key file in kis/kav 6.

If activating by code a key file isn't generated, if activating by key file the key isn't copied somewhere else, it's still only in the location from which you activated.

I think that's right. When I bought KAV 5 electronically, what I actually received was a 1 year key file, which I copied and kept safe as Don Pelotas suggests. But when I recently bought KIS 6 electronically, I got an activation code. Although the Licence Info page of my KIS 6 refers to a commercial key - and even lists it as if it were a file, in the form ********.key - such a file can't actually be located anywhere on my hard disk (unlike the old keyfile for KAV 5, which is still on the hard disk, minding its own business!)

So I guess, if I need to reinstall KIS, I have to request the activation code all over again. Or maybe the licence key is stored in some encrypted form in the registry?

p

You should have copied/pasted the code to a txtfile an saved this. ;)

You can probably get the code if you contact support:http://www.kaspersky.com/helpdesk.html. :)

Sorry, Don - I didn't really mean "request the code again". (I've got the email which tells me what the code is.) What I meant is, without a key file I'd need to enter the activation code again and get the (virtual) key file downloaded again from the Kaspersky server. Whereas, with a key file, I wouldn't need to go through that process. (If that makes sense!)

Do we know why Kaspersky seem to have moved from key files to activation codes? Is it a security measure?

p

Sorry, Don - I didn't really mean "request the code again". (I've got the email which tells me what the code is.) What I meant is, without a key file I'd need to enter the activation code again and get the (virtual) key file downloaded again from the Kaspersky server. Whereas, with a key file, I wouldn't need to go through that process. (If that makes sense!)

Do we know why Kaspersky seem to have moved from key files to activation codes? Is it a security measure?

p

Yes it is. It is not a problem though, i have done it 30-40 times already. ;)

Yes it is. It is not a problem though, i have done it 30-40 times already. ;)

So Kaspersky must have some way of knowing that you're reinstalling on the same machine, rather than sticking copies of the software on multiple machines (assuming your licence only permits you to use it on one machine.)

But I expect we can't discuss that, for security reasons!

p

Hi all, Muchos Gracias for all of replies and the info contained in the discussion. Makes sense that Kaspersky went with the Activation code scheme rather than the older licence code as in KAVPP 5.5. At least now I know that I am Not completely crazy as I could not find the licence in WinXP. I did order a backup copy on CD when I upgraded my buddies PC to KAV 6.0, so he's all set. I also made back up files of all of the numbers ie., registration and activation (license) so that another activation code can be obtained if necessary. Thanks again for the info.

I suggest backing up any critical data before upgrading, this is due to personal experiance and what you should do before any big upgrade on a computer. I am not going to mention the issue i had, all i know is that i was glad i had everything backed up (-:

cheers, rotty

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.