marco71

Dual Xeon CPU hanging upon reboot

Hi there,

I've been using KAV Personal Pro on my laptop for months and I'm pretty satisfied.

So I was planning to buy another copy to use on my dual-Xeon box and I downloaded the trial version.

Well, after installing it, upon rebooting the system completely hangs and the only option is to brutally shut it down.

Then I have to go into "safe mode", deinstalling KAV and all return to normality.

I really want to use KAV on my box, but atm Norton is my only option.

My box specs:

2 x Nocona Xeon 3Ghz + HT enabled

2GB RAM

Asus NCCH-DL

ATI X800XT 256MB

Creative SB Audigy2 ZS

2 x 250GB IDE RAID0 HDDs

Any help ?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

there are known problems if you are using norton on the same box as you have kaspersky. alot of users experience problems even if they uninstall norton before instaling kaspersky. it is because norton default uninstall does not fully remove norton av from the system. as i said before this is a well known problem and you are advized to use special uninstall procedure and tool from symantec to remove all traces of norton av from your system. then try to install kav.

Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility when Add/Remove programs fails

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.n...001092114452606

note: you may also want to search this forum (or using google) on this topic or wait fro someone like Don :) for maybe some more detailed instructions on this isue

I had a similar problem because an old USB card reader was attached to the system nobody thought of anymore...

Not like this "should" make a difference, but what OS are you running on the actual computer with your Dual Xeons?

I ask because if you are running on a server platform, it is highly recommended by various companies to disable HT. I'd be curious to see what happens if you had HT disabled while doing the KAV install and if it operates smoother for you by keeping it disabled.

It's a quick test that might give you some good results. Dual Xeons with HT enabled causes problems with some apps thinking there are 4 processors instead of 2 in many server environments. Obviously HT wants to enable the speed of the 2 virtual processors, but some apps get confused and ultimately function horribly after thinking there are 4 processors instead of 2.

It's useful information to keep in the back of your head, if nothing else...

Hi there,

I've been using KAV Personal Pro on my laptop for months and I'm pretty satisfied.

So I was planning to buy another copy to use on my dual-Xeon box and I downloaded the trial version.

Well, after installing it, upon rebooting the system completely hangs and the only option is to brutally shut it down.

Then I have to go into "safe mode", deinstalling KAV and all return to normality.

I really want to use KAV on my box, but atm Norton is my only option.

My box specs:

2 x Nocona Xeon 3Ghz + HT enabled

2GB RAM

Asus NCCH-DL

ATI X800XT 256MB

Creative SB Audigy2 ZS

2 x 250GB IDE RAID0 HDDs

Any help ?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

I think there may actually be an underlying issue with some ATI Video Cards. I've recently encountered this same "hang on boot" in WXP Pro. We've never had NAV, but we do use ATI Radeon 92XX for dual monitor support. Of 230 installs today, only machines with ATI cards have done this. Other posts in these forums mention an ATI card as part of their specs.

I'd love to see a fix- Currently I am unable to protect systems with dual screens.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.