mrralan

[Merged again] Multiple component updates today requiring reboots

So I've been having an extremely frustrating problem on several of my office machines, and I can't identify a root cause. It started on my personal notebook and is now showing up on our president's notebook and another employee's machine. Here is a description of the issue:

At random times (does not appear related to heavy CPU or RAM usage), the system will hang, but not crash or freeze. In other words, the Vista cursor will be stuck in a spinning loop, ALT/CTRL/DELETE fails to do anything, I cannot click the Task Bar or Start Menu (no response) and the current window will shift to "Not Responding." However, the mouse will remain fully reponsive to movement, and I can still click around the window that is currently open. The only way to escape from this hang is to manually power off the unit.

I have been unable to determine a cause. Here is what I have attempted (all attempted fixes have failed to eliminate said hangs):

-replace HDD with new unit, install fresh Vista x86 Ultimate

-dust unit to ensure proper cooling

-test CPU, memory, and HDD (all tests pass)

All of the systems are running the latest version of Kaspersky Workstation, Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, and Windows Office 2007 (with Outlook). Those are the only common programs. Additionally, the notebooks are from different manufactureres and have different hardware. They are all about 1-1.5 years old. While the systems do feel very hot when they hang, the heatsinks are clean. A CPU overheat would reboot the system, but that's not the case.

So, with that in mind, any ideas? Is it Kaspersky? That's my guess, since everything else seems to check out.

Welcome to the fun. Take a look at some of the other active threads on this forum and you'll realise it's a Kaspersky issue, they released a duff update the other week. Still no official fix as yet, but some people are getting 'try this' fixes from Kaspersky Tech Support which seem to be doing the job.

This is most definitely a Kaspersky problem. And there I was cursing windows vista for being crap. Really disappointed as I was the one who decided to take up a 2 year contract with Kaspersky only a few months ago.

Hi,

This afternoon I added a post with the reply from Uk kaspersky Support Center and is gone. Has it been deleted?

Hi,

This afternoon I added a post with the reply from Uk kaspersky Support Center and is gone. Has it been deleted?

most likely. The reason why they don't announce these problems on their home page or forums is because it would hinder new sales. Which is pathetic.

I also got no response from support when submitting a ticket online.

It's been a week and now I'm starting to get users picking up viruses and malware.

This complete BULL.

Hi,

Yes, i did that...unfortunately forgot to post why......................it's a beta fix at this moment and it is on servers only used to serve beta testing normally. So thats why it was removed until finally released via the standard servers to avoid someone maybe get into worse trouble.

Anyone wanting to try it can simply ask support, you or me for that matter....................provided they understand that it is still a "In beta state" fix for now.

most likely. The reason why they don't announce these problems on their home page or forums is because it would hinder new sales. Which is pathetic.

Nope, read above.............

OK, I called into US support. They provided a workaround to get by until they release the fix sometime Monday or Tuesday of next week.

In admin Kit they tell me to Turn off (Uncheck checkbox) "Update Application Modules" in the policy or policies. Thats under Settings tab, choosing Update from the pulldown menu. They said they will send out an email early next week to tell folks to turn that back on once it is fixed. Virus definitions will still update.

They said the problem arose when they updated the software to protect against the Net-Worm.Win32.Kido worm. This update apparently conflicts with Diskeeper. They said they are working with Diskeeper on the fix. The trouble supposedly is that it's not happening to everyone or every machine on a particular network.

If you contact support, they will email you a tool to fix effected PC's. Since I've uninstalled Kas on the affected PC's I didnt need this.

I haven't re-deployed yet, but I hope it will work. I'll test it tomorrow on a machine or two before re-deploying.

Hope this helps. Still don't understand why they didn't publish this information here or somewhere on their website.

-Jim

So I've been having an extremely frustrating problem on several of my office machines, and I can't identify a root cause. It started on my personal notebook and is now showing up on our president's notebook and another employee's machine. Here is a description of the issue:

At random times (does not appear related to heavy CPU or RAM usage), the system will hang, but not crash or freeze. In other words, the Vista cursor will be stuck in a spinning loop, ALT/CTRL/DELETE fails to do anything, I cannot click the Task Bar or Start Menu (no response) and the current window will shift to "Not Responding." However, the mouse will remain fully reponsive to movement, and I can still click around the window that is currently open. The only way to escape from this hang is to manually power off the unit.

I have been unable to determine a cause. Here is what I have attempted (all attempted fixes have failed to eliminate said hangs):

-replace HDD with new unit, install fresh Vista x86 Ultimate

-dust unit to ensure proper cooling

-test CPU, memory, and HDD (all tests pass)

All of the systems are running the latest version of Kaspersky Workstation, Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, and Windows Office 2007 (with Outlook). Those are the only common programs. Additionally, the notebooks are from different manufactureres and have different hardware. They are all about 1-1.5 years old. While the systems do feel very hot when they hang, the heatsinks are clean. A CPU overheat would reboot the system, but that's not the case.

So, with that in mind, any ideas? Is it Kaspersky? That's my guess, since everything else seems to check out.

Hi,

Do you have enabled "update application modules" in update task? In case of this it is an error with hotfix "f".

Disable "update application modules" and call your local kaspersky support for an older version of klif.sys or extract the klif.sys from the origin package. Disable self-defense and copy the older klif.sys to the origin location.

regards.

I too am having the same issue, I have reported the issue to Kaspersky but have received no help at all so far.

As you say very frustrating, no common denominator just a few random PC's having issues.

Same here, it has been this for about 10 days or something...

I simply uninstalled the crap and the Vista runs just fine.

Germany: Same Problems all Companies, where im Admin, All Servers , All OS, All WKST,

Random Freezes (very strange freezes) at IDLE, AT Screensaver, At USB, At Windows Update with Kaspersky active.

By the Way: At this Level of FAULT, why DONT Kaspersky RESPOND OFFICIALLY?

Edited by Systemoverflow

In my network there are the same problems.

All PCs with Windows Vista have random freezes and wont's whoutdown.

Now I switch off the Anti-Hacker protection and the pcs shoutdown very fast and the system hangs are reduced.

I hope it can be useful.

I wait for the complete fixing for the problem.

Hello,

After the Update to new module 6.0.387 the computers with Windows Vista SP1, computers freeze and won't shutdown. What's solution for this problem?

Thanks.

W. Rogerio

Unfortunately Kaspersky have not released a fix yet, a beta fix is being tested, but no time can be given for release.

Unfortunately Kaspersky have not released a fix yet, a beta fix is being tested, but no time can be given for release.

Ok. Thanks for the answer. I wait the hotfix.

regards,

W. Rogerio

As a data point, the freeze/mouse-not-working/no ctrl_alt_del happened to me twice this morning on an XP sp3 laptop.

Very aggravating.

I would also like to voice my opinion that more communication from kaspersky is not just desirable, but I would say it is a requirement.

dave

I have 3 WinXP SP3 machines with this problem and the klif.sys bluescreen problem. I tried creating an update task to apply the Beta version of klif.sys to these machines, but the update task would not run. It was timing out at 7-8% complete and failing. So I went into the ftp site and saved only the klif.sys file from what I hope was the correct folder. But when I reboot using this klif.sys, the system hangs at the background screen just before the login screen. :-(

I am glad that only 3 of my 300+ stations are affected, but this is still extremely frustrating. Those 3 users are Directors and they need their computers back useable and protected.

I am disappointed that Kaspersky has not given us any official notification of the status of this problem, and an ETA for the fix.

This software desperately needs a mechanism for rolling back a failed module update, this is the second time a situation like this has happened to us in less than a year.

Hi,

Same problem here, not in one computer, but in many computers, in many companys! :angry:

I'm not even able to do the "so called" fix in so many computers!!!

We need an offical fix FAST!!!

We are also having the issues here. Problems mostly occur on Vista machines.

I just finished deploying on 100 machines, i'm crossing my fingers that some sort of fix will be issued.

It appears to be getting worse on the Kaspersky installs I've seen. It started off with just a few (all XP SP3). It's slowly heading out onto more, even after disabling the application module updates. More than likely going to have to batch uninstall Kaspersky off every computer. Once that happens, it likely isn't going back on.

The fix I was sent by Kaspersky support doesn't seem to help, either. It's a shame their support is so bad at the moment. This type of response is absolutely unacceptable.

/from one of Kasp's biggest fans

Hi all

There is a beta solution from Kaspersky Support available... We have tested it in our company and the problems are gone...

Kaspersky Support told me that this fix will be available on Monday 16. February via public Update server...

Kind regards,

zysset

I have heard back from kasepersky with a temporay fix,

The issue you are having is potentially related to tasks running continuously, using 100% CPU resources. Please look at running through these steps:-

Step by step instructions:

1. From Administration console delete the task, that caused the problem (any task that is scheduled to run every 29th, 30th or 31st of the month).

2. Stop services of Admin Server and NetAgent.

3. Copy kill_tasks_kav6.ini into %Admin Server installation folder%\Nagent\Data\Cleaner, copy cleanapi.dll into %Admin Server installation folder%\Nagent (replace the existing file).

4. Start services of Admin Server and NetAgent.

5. Create group or global task (when creating a task choose Application: Kaspersky Administration Kit, Task Type: Product Deinstallation Task. On the next step click “Uninstall the external application”, and in the list of applications select "Kill All Scan Tasks of KAV 6.0")

6. Run the remote un-installation task and wait for its completion.

They are currently working on a fix and should have news today.

Tom

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, where do I find Admin Server and NetAgent? Are they part of Kaspersky or Vista?

Sorry :)

Thanks.