Sign in to follow this  
fizzak

KAV Workstation crashes during Scan My Computer

:angry: I had an older version and now running v 5.0.225. First of all i'm not sure why the vendor gave me the Workstation version when I ordered but thats another thread.

My issue is that KAVW crashes (reboots) in the middle of a scan every time I do a full Scan my Computer. I did this on my last XP install, it crashed and I ended up frying a motherboard. (not that its Kaspersky's fault).

Seems as though if KAVW has a lot to scan like over 20gb this happens. It does not occur on a fresh XP install.

After discovering a few viruses, manually clearing some of them and rebooting. I noticed that Kaspersky simply would not scan at all, run Scan My Computer would end up completed after 1 second and 0 files scanned. Then I reinstalled a new version and the scan operates as normal but crashes (reboots) at around 50% or 1 hour of scanning a 80gb drive. I've tried chkdsk /r to correct any possible disk errors.

Do you think a virus is causing this issue as a defense? Because I cannot correct the other viruses if the computer crashes in the middle of a scan.

Thanks

I updated the module as suggested. I could not wait for an hour into the scan to see what file it stops on. The crash is a system failure and will reboot or bluescreen depending on if I un-tick the setting under XP's Startup and recovery.

I had to physically remove my drive and mount it as slave in another computer in order to run the scan. Scan cought 11 viruses.

Actually as I write this Kaspersky deploys a message stating "Real Time Protection Failure" after the module update. Perhaps there is an anti-Kaspersky virus?

Even given Kasperskys catch-all reputation I might have to go back to sluggish Norton since it never allowed viruses into my system like this. There were 11.

So what is the difference between KAV Personal and KAV For Windows Workstations? When I purchased 2 licences of Personal 5 from one of Kasperskys USA vendors. They sent me a key for the Workstation version. Is Workstation a subpar version of Personal?

Hi

1. Workstation is normally for office environment and is a not subpar version of personal, it's just made for this type of setup.

2. You have to reboot after the install of the patch!

3. What were the viruses names (look in "View backup"), did they have an "Not-a-virus" attached.

You could try running the System File Checker (sfc.exe), this will scan all protected Windows files to verify their versions have not been overwritten or damaged, and if so will replace the compromised version with a fresh copy.

To run it, click Start/Run and type 'sfc.exe /scannow' (without the quotes but with the space between the 'e' and the '/').

Alternatively, you can click start/Run and type in CMD and click O.K., when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow".

You will need to insert your Windows CD into the drive to enable sfc to effect the repair.

Hi

1. Workstation is normally for office environment and is a not subpar version of personal, it's just made for this type of setup.

2. You have to reboot after the install of the patch!

3. What were the viruses names (look in "View backup"), did they have an "Not-a-virus" attached.

You could try running the System File Checker (sfc.exe), this will scan all protected Windows files to verify their versions have not been overwritten or damaged, and if so will replace the compromised version with a fresh copy.

To run it, click Start/Run and type 'sfc.exe /scannow' (without the quotes but with the space between the 'e' and the '/').

Alternatively, you can click start/Run and type in CMD and click O.K., when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow".

You will need to insert your Windows CD into the drive to enable sfc to effect the repair.

Thanks Don,

I did in fact reboot to set the module patch but it still errored out. I had to re-update the virus def's then the Real Time Protection started working again.

I did also run a chkdsk /r to check file system issues. I also updated to SP2 even though I dont care for the firewall security center. System seems to be functioning properly now. I will run a full scan again and see if it crashes this time.

Virus's? I had a.exe, IBM00001.dll and its associated versions, some virus in my .pst archive, some "Not a Virus" associated with password protected zip files and a few others I don't recall.

I see you're using the "Max protection", the pst files you should not let Kav delete, it's more safe to delete viruses found in maildatabases manually because you run the risk that it will delete the whole database instead of just the one (or more) mail which contains the virus, before you start saying what kind of an awfull AV Kaspersky is, you have to know that Norton would never have found the viruses in maildatabases, it's because Kaspersky scans deeper on-demand than basicly all other AV's.

In fact most of the "viruses" you have found are probably made with the extended bases in Kav and are more considered riskware than dangerous malware.

I would do an on-demand scan if you can and post what you find here, the password protected could be/are most likely just that, password protected files (are you perhaps using Ad-Aware?) which no AV can scan inside, Kaspersky simply has an option to add the passwords if you know it and you can disable this option in the settings.

So do the on-demand scan and post all the things you find in it here and we can take it from there, the IBM00001.dll you can safely delete though.

P.s. You can disable securitycenter in "Services", i never use it myself.

Open the KAV interface, select the Settings tab, select Additional Settings. Click the box next to the field that says "Do not scan email during full scan" (or something close to that). Then restart your scan.

Imagine the scanner is puking inside your .pst file(s).

Mike

post-7483-1137085758.jpg I'M BLUE

hI DOM PELOTAS

I think KAV is a great antivirus because i've tried under windows2000 but now i'm having some troubles with my Sony Vaio: it reboots misteriusely. :huh:

I've KAV and KAH, i've upgraded,disabled windows xp firewall, disabled IDS, i followed all your instructions, cleaned the registry, updated windows and even uninstalled KAH but my computer reboot misteiousely.

I've removed KAV (too) and no more reboots ... :huh:

What I'm supposed to do to use KAV and even KAH??

THANKS

mARCO

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.