Sign in to follow this  
wguru

How secure is KAV from hacking?

This just crossed one of my surviving brain cell's electrons. And I don't suppose I'd have to be shot if I ever found out what encryption KAV chooses to run on their servers, website, and/or software, but I sure hope its one of the unhackables like PGP.

I mean since all AV companies provide backdoors to their customer's systems, and in that 'the man' has been exposed as basically getting a free pass there, that means these backdoors can be leaked, sold or (ah-hem) misused.

I know I've mixed apples and oranges here, but soft drink companies make a fortune doing just that, and nobody questions what's behind the premise.

And yes and no. I consider myself as having a healthy modicum of both paranoia and respect for the law, plus I'm not a 'bad guy', just hoping KAV is as smart as I think they are.

But it does bother me that Kaspershy encrypts the updates w/o providing us their customers with a key that allows us to say, look at what's on the black list, what viruses are in their detection database (sure won't find that out on K's website either).

I know that was true as once I caught a trojan that KAV 'said' was a new version of an earlier one, but regardlees that their lab tech's refused to argue the point, I found thair explanation untrue and they couldn't deny it, hense they ceased conversing with me on that issue.

But it does bother me that Kaspershy encrypts the updates w/o providing us their customers with a key that allows us to say, look at what's on the black list, what viruses are in their detection database (sure won't find that out on K's website either).

"Let's give out decryption keys so that people can decrypt and rip off Kaspersky's very big and valuable database of known malware" ;)

Viruslist provides details of all malware currently on the database but no details of the signature...for obvious reasons, and the same reason also applies to updates being delivered in a proprietary format....it also stops the possibility of updates being flagged as viruses by gateway AV filters.

I know that was true as once I caught a trojan that KAV 'said' was a new version of an earlier one, but regardlees that their lab tech's refused to argue the point, I found thair explanation untrue and they couldn't deny it, hense they ceased conversing with me on that issue.

I don't quite understand what you are saying here?

KL as a security company has an obligation to make sure that their networks are as secure as possible, and I think they manage this task very well.

Edited by Baz^^

AV Databases and Blacklists are propriatory in format. Imagine the havoc that would emerge if every mortal user can poke around the defenses :)

I mean since all AV companies provide backdoors to their customer's systems

You know that this is the first false sentence in your post...

And don't you know that according to the math logics, one can deduce both true and false from a false proposition?

Anyway, if Kaspersky would cipher the bases, the application on your side shall be able to uncipher it. So you shall be able to do it as well, don't worry...

Edited by hinote

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.