kedrigern38

Kaspersky for Windows Workstations Reinstall Problem

We have a customer running Kaspersky for Windows File Servers version 6 on the Windows 2003 domain controller and Kaspersky for Windows Workstations version 6 on the clients.

We had to reinstall Windows XP on a client because of a drive crash, and now the Administration Console no longer recognizes the workstation. The client was joined to the Active Directory domain correctly (twice because of the Administration Console errors) and when I run \\workstation name\admin$ from the server I have full access to the Windows directory on the client. Windows Firewall is turned off, and I can ping the workstation from the server using the FQDN without a problem.

When I try to install the Kaspersky Network Agent from the adminstration console, it fails with a 'workstation is not available on the network' error.

I had to manually install Kaspersky AV 6 to ensure the client is protected, but it is not controlled by the Administration Console.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I think you are pointing the wrong host in your Administration Console. Check in the network:domains part, there will be a host named host~1 (where "host" is the Netbios name of this computer). When you find it, delete ghost host and rename correct one, move it to your logical group and deploy Kaspersky Network Agent on it.

If you don't find it, use the Find computer feature.

Regards,

D.

Hi

I checked in the Administration Console, and there are no ghost entries with ~1 in their name. Their is an entry for another workstation, but the IP address is different, so there should be no IP address conflict. I believe the workstation listed may have been removed from the network.

I checked DNS, and the workstation is listed. No other clients have the same IP address as the problem workstation, so there should be no conflicts.

I deleted the problem workstation from the group, and re-added the workstation using the IP address assigned in DHCP. The workstation was added to the group list by NETBIOS name. Same problem. I right-clicked on the Adminstration Server, selected find computer, typed in the workstation name with an asterisk (*) and the only result is the problem workstation name. I tried to deploy the Network Agent, but received the same error, "the client is not available in the network."

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this will help; Just throwing this out there as something to try... disable XP's Simple File Sharing. I know this can cause headaches with other networking tasks, so could possibly help in this case.

Hello,

If what Tmike advised you does not help, open the folder \\Server\KLSHARE\Packages\Net Agent and proceed to installation from the workstation and then this computer will be visible in your Administration Console.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I disabled XP file sharing and had the same problem. I used Tybilly's(SP) suggestion, and now the workstation appears in the administration console. It's strange that I would have to reinstall the network agent manually. But, after a full scan, everything seems to be running correctly.

Thank you again, and have a great weekend.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.