KennethS

Unhandled Exception Error

Kenneth if you want something to do until monday :D, then download a fresh copy Microsoft Windows Script also download and install http://www.macecraft.com/regsupreme/ run it and fix what it finds with Kav uninstalled and then install MS script. Now reinstall Kav and reboot, do a defragmentation. Also, have you compacted the folders in Outlook like Saso asked? The option is found in the options > maintenance > clean up now, at least this is the way in OE.

Hey Don,

Let's start with the Outlook stuff...

To the best of my understanding, there is no system for "compacting" my Outlook Data files. There is a program (SCANPST.EXE) that checks the files for errors, and I am running that as I click.

Next, the suggestion of the registry cleaner:

I regularly run Easy Cleaner (and am running it right now.)

Would there be a difference of substance between that approach, and the one you suggest?

Thanks, as before,

Kenneth

Kenneth if you want something to do until monday :D, then download a fresh copy Microsoft Windows Script also download and install http://www.macecraft.com/regsupreme/ run it and fix what it finds with Kav uninstalled and then install MS script. Now reinstall Kav and reboot, do a defragmentation. Also, have you compacted the folders in Outlook like Saso asked? The option is found in the options > maintenance > clean up now, at least this is the way in OE.

Hi again Don,

I justcompleted the scan of the PST file. There were no errors...

All the best,

Kenneth

Hey Don,

Let's start with the Outlook stuff...

To the best of my understanding, there is no system for "compacting" my Outlook Data files. There is a program (SCANPST.EXE) that checks the files for errors, and I am running that as I click.

Would there be a difference of substance between that approach, and the one you suggest?

Thanks, as before,

Kenneth

can you please right click on the inbox folder and see if there is something simmilar to "comapct this folder" or maybe is it called archive in outlook...

Hi Don,

As you know, I have experimented with all this a ton, but one question remains unanswered:

KAV hangs during the scan of Outlook data files, but that happens even when I have explicitly EXCLUDED those files as *.PST.

Why would KAV be scanning them at all?

Thanks again,

Kenneth

Hi again Don,

I justcompleted the scan of the PST file. There were no errors...

All the best,

Kenneth

Howdy,

There is nothing called "compacting" nor does the word "compact" appear in the help file.

There are ways to Archive outlook files, but that simply moves messages from one PST file to another (where they would then be scanned by KAV.)

Thanks,

Kenneth

can you please right click on the inbox folder and see if there is something simmilar to "comapct this folder" or maybe is it called archive in outlook...

Yes, i would still use RegSupreme, there can be a big difference in performance and a bad regcleaner can ruin more than it repairs, so just to humour me, could you please try RS?

I have no idea why Kav WS doesn't stop scanning maildatabases, despite you disabling the option, do you have any possibility of showing me a screnshot of where you disabled them?

I see Saso has posted about compacting in Outlook, please do this. :)

Howdy,

I read the stuff you suggested, but it seems to apply to Internet Only setups. I use Microsoft mail for our intranet.

But I do have a few questions about this:

What is the intended purpose (of course I know what compacting a file does, but I don't understand the relationship between that process and KAV.)

I ask because I could rather easily make my PST file smaller without compacting. It presently contains a ton of stuff in a Deleted folder. If I emptied that folder, the PST file would shrink significantly.

Thanks for your insight on this,

Kenneth

ok here you can find the information on how to compact the PST file in outlook (thanks to google :) )... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;196990

Hello again,

I have been baffled before, but this tops it all...

On one of the systems on which KAV fails to scan, I looked at my PST file. It showed as 254880KB and had in it 7831 deleted items.

I then removed all of those deleted items.

Of course, I expected the PST to become significantly smaller, but it does not. It now displays as 255264KB.

How could eliminating 7831 messages make the file LARGER???

Might you have any understanding of this?

Very sincere thanks,

Kenneth

Howdy,

I read the stuff you suggested, but it seems to apply to Internet Only setups. I use Microsoft mail for our intranet.

But I do have a few questions about this:

What is the intended purpose (of course I know what compacting a file does, but I don't understand the relationship between that process and KAV.)

I ask because I could rather easily make my PST file smaller without compacting. It presently contains a ton of stuff in a Deleted folder. If I emptied that folder, the PST file would shrink significantly.

Thanks for your insight on this,

Kenneth

ok ill try to explain... kav most probably crashes because of an special email (or several of such emails) in the PST archive. this email is most probably of an false format or at least an strange format, we could probably almost say that it is corrupt. now this email is maybe in one of the folders (inbox, outbox, trash,...), but it is even more possible that it is allredy deleted (yes, even from the trash) and is just inside the PST file... compacting the PST will remove all such emails from the unused space and by doing this make the PST file smaller.

however if you read my suggestion 2. again you will see that i have sugested you to delete all the emails that you dont need and then to compact the PST file. of course if you need an email then dont delete it.

and i belive that compacting the PST file should work regardles how your setup is.

I then removed all of those deleted items.

Of course, I expected the PST to become significantly smaller, but it does not. It now displays as 255264KB.

How could eliminating 7831 messages make the file LARGER???

Might you have any understanding of this?

exactly what i was talking about in the last post. this emails dont get totaly removed from the PST file, just the "links" to this email are removed. this is why you have to compact it now.

Hi again,

Hey, I'll give it a try.

But what is the connection between the reg cleaner and the sripting tool. What am I to do with that?

Also, I have tried a bunch of ways to exclude my pst files from the scan, and would be happy to provide the screenshot. Can you tell me how to include it once I have it on the clipboard?

All the best,

Kenneth

Yes, i would still use RegSupreme, there can be a big difference in performance and a bad regcleaner can ruin more than it repairs, so just to humour me, could you please try RS?

I have no idea why Kav WS doesn't stop scanning maildatabases, despite you disabling the option, do you have any possibility of showing me a screnshot of where you disabled them?

I see Saso has posted about compacting in Outlook, please do this. :)

Hi again,

I thank you for the description, but with regret, I am not comfortable to use the MS method because it clearly says that it is only for a setup different from mine. I simply cannot risk damaging my PST files.

(And please note my earlier reply... Deleting a ton of messages has made my pst file larger...)

All the best,

Kenneth

ok ill try to explain... kav most probably crashes because of an special email in the PST archive. this email is most probably of an false format or at least strange format, we could probably almost say that it is corrupt. now this email is maybe in one of the folders (inbox, outbox, trash,...), but it is even more probably that it is allredy deleted (even from the trash) and is just inside the PST file... compacting the PST will remove all such emails from the unused space.

how ever if you read my suggestion 2. again you will see that i have sugesed you to delete all the emails that you dont need and then to compact the PST file. of course if you need an email then dont delete it. and i belive that compacting the PST file should work regardles how your setup is.

Ooops, about your "suggestion 2"...

I always delete messages that I no longer need in the sense that I put them in my deleted folder. But that leaves them in my PST file. I have just deleted them from my "deleted" folder. That should have removed them (thousands of 'em) from my PST, but as I have explained, the process of deleting them made my PST file larger (and that happened on two different systems.)

All the best, and sincere thanks,

Kenneth

ok ill try to explain... kav most probably crashes because of an special email (or several of such emails) in the PST archive. this email is most probably of an false format or at least an strange format, we could probably almost say that it is corrupt. now this email is maybe in one of the folders (inbox, outbox, trash,...), but it is even more possible that it is allredy deleted (yes, even from the trash) and is just inside the PST file... compacting the PST will remove all such emails from the unused space and by doing this make the PST file smaller.

however if you read my suggestion 2. again you will see that i have sugested you to delete all the emails that you dont need and then to compact the PST file. of course if you need an email then dont delete it.

and i belive that compacting the PST file should work regardles how your setup is.

But what is the connection between the reg cleaner and the sripting tool. What am I to do with that?

i belive Don suggested the regcleaner and the reinstall of the WSH (windows script host) just as part of the complete removal of the norton antivirus. it is well known that norton antivirus can make big problmes because it does not uninstall itself properly.

Also, I have tried a bunch of ways to exclude my pst files from the scan, and would be happy to provide the screenshot. Can you tell me how to include it once I have it on the clipboard?

i can say that it is most strange to me why kav is still scaning the PST file, since you have the lastest version of kav 5.0.205, dont you? so yes it would be good to see that screenshot to see if your settings are correct. to post the screen shot you will have to create a image file... do this:

1. open the settings widow and press the printscreen button on your keyboard (should be just next to teh F12 key)

2. open an image program like MS paint and past the screenshot

3. now save the image to an image file (it is recomended to save it as jpg or png since the file size will be smaller) and attach that image file to your post in this forum.

I thank you for the description, but with regret, I am not comfortable to use the MS method because it clearly says that it is only for a setup different from mine. I simply cannot risk damaging my PST files.

ok i can assure you 99.99% that compacting the PST file will not corrupt it. but yes, data is the most importaint thing, so to make it 100% simple make a copy of that PST file and by doing this you will make a backup of it. then try to compact it and if anything will be wrong (it should not be) then you can simple replace it with the copy (backup) file.

and you you please show (copy) the aprt of microsoft advize where it says you should not compact the PST file....

Hello again,

Attached here is the screen shot of the exclusion setup. It seems to have no effect whatever.

All the best,

Kenneth

ok i can assure you 99.99% that compacting the PST file will not corrupt it. but yes, data is the most importaint thing, so to make it 100% simple make a copy of that PST file and by doing this you will make a backup of it. then try to compact it and if anything will be wrong (it should not be) then you can simple replace it with the copy (backup) file.

and you you please show (copy) the aprt of microsoft advize where it says you should not compact the PST file....

post-3589-1125776895.jpg

Hello again,

You asked that I show you where MS says the compacting does not apply to my situation:

============

NOTE: These procedures only apply if you have installed Outlook with the Internet Mail Only option. To determine your installation type, click About Microsoft Outlook on the Help menu. If you have the Internet Mail Only option installed, you see "Internet Mail Only".

============

And, as I mentioned, I do not run Internet Mail Only.

Also, assuming that my problems with KAV have something to do with this compacting issue, would I have to regularly compact my PST files in order to use KAV?

Thanks,

Kenneth

Hi again,

Of course, it would be important to copy the PST file to another machine because were I to leave the copy on the original machine the "un-compacted" copy would hang KAV even if the compacted version did not...

But, in any case, I am trying the compacting thing right now, and will let you know if it works.

Very sincere thanks for all the help,

Kenneth

Hi again,

Well, I completed the compacting, and launched another scan.

One immediate difference was that the files flew by much more rapidly than they had earlier.

In fact, I would estimate that KAV got hung up in half the time it used to take! <VBG>

But that in no way diminishes my appreciation for your great assistance.

I am most appreciative.

As you know, I have been told that I will have a response from the Kaspersky folks on Monday.

So, we shall see how this ends shortly... (I hope.)

Thanks again,

Kenneth

Attached here is the screen shot of the exclusion setup. It seems to have no effect whatever...

well yes, your settings seem just fine to me... <_<

well this suggestion is just a wild guess since i dont have that much experience in kav for WKS but i know that you are able to set several scan tasks in it. are you sure that this options are set for the right task? the scan my computer task i guess... :huh:

Also, assuming that my problems with KAV have something to do with this compacting issue, would I have to regularly compact my PST files in order to use KAV?

well, i think you will agree with me that compacting them is not just an isue with KAV. as you could see for yourself your pst files are huge, and the only thing that should be able to make them smaller is compacting. i guess we could compare this with the defragmentation of the file system. and FYI there is an option in outlook that takes care of this automaticly.

Of course, it would be important to copy the PST file to another machine because were I to leave the copy on the original machine the "un-compacted" copy would hang KAV even if the compacted version did not...

right, but lets go step by step, lets first just try if we can successfuly and safely compact the PST files.

But, in any case, I am trying the compacting thing right now, and will let you know if it works.

i hope it will be ok and if yes then i belive we have quite a good chanse that also the problem with kav will be gone.

Howdy,

I hesitate to say that I am "sure" of anything relating to KAV as I am very new to it. But, I can tell you my steps for getting to the screenshot I posted:

I launched KAV, then clicked the Settings Tab. Next, I clicked on Configure Scan, and then clicked the Details button. That brought me to the screen that you have seen.

And, yes, this is V 5.0.205.

All the best,

Kenneth

well yes, your settings seem just fine to me...  <_<

well this suggestion is just a wild guess since i dont have that much experience in kav for WKS but i know that you are able to set several scan tasks in it. are you sure that this options are set for the right task? the scan my computer task i guess... :huh:

well, i think you will agree with me that compacting them is not just an isue with KAV. as you could see for yourself your pst files are huge, and the only thing that should be able to make them smaller is compacting. i guess we could compare this with the defragmentation of the file system.

right, but lets go step by step, lets first just try if we can successfuly and safely compact the PST files.

i hope it will be ok and if yes then i belive we have quite a good chanse that also the problem with kav will be gone.

Hey Don,

I am running the registry cleaner you suggested. I had run my other cleaner and it found nothing but a handful of dead keys which I deleted. Your suggested software has found 1023 Errors so far, and it is still running.

I will add that I am running in Normal mode...!!!

And so, a few questions:

Would you suggest that I choose to "Fix" or "Delete"?

Also, would you suggest that I try an "Aggressive" scan. Hey, if I do, I might have nothing left.

As before, very sincere thanks,

Kenneth

I launched KAV, then clicked the Settings Tab. Next, I clicked on Configure Scan, and then clicked the Details button. That brought me to the screen that you have seen.

can you just make it sure that the settings are the same if you go to settings tab -> user's tasks -> properties of the "scan my computer" task

UPDATE: and please make it sure that the compacted PST file is working normal. try to open few emails in it, and send and recive few test emails... i think that should be enought. normaly i would have no doubts about it, but since you scarred me with that info from microsoft... :)

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.