KennethS

Unhandled Exception Error

Yes, you just use Compress and email button, the default location is c:\_kavscan.log, it should attache it auto, please remember to include the getsysteminfo log. Do not forget to write your order data or registration number + a describtion of the problem and a link to this thread in the mail.

After you have sent the mail, then open kavlog & uncheck everything and click ok, then you can delete kavlog and c:\_kavscan.log . :)

Hi Don, and others,

This has not been my most fun day...<g>

First off, indeed, it is TRACER.EXE that is used with KAV Workstation to create logs.

Now that I know that, it would seem a simple matter to create, then email the log off to my friends at Kaspersky, but no luck with that.

The log file is far too large to send, apparently because it keeps growing. That would seem simple enough, but I can't delete the thing. When I try, I get the message that there is a sahring violation. I assumed that it was held by TRACER.EXE and so deleted it, but still, I cannot delete the log file.

Might you have a suggestion?

Many thanks,

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth

Sorry, but thats not enough, you need to do it this way (and remember the getsysteminfo too):

Please download two attached utilities.

Run GetSystemInfo and save its log file. (sysinfo.txt)

Then run Kavlog, checkmark scanner option, reboot your PC and try to do a scan.

Send us log files to support@kaspersky.com, describe your problem in letter or just paste there link for this topic.

do not forget to write your order data or registration number. 

And very important, when you have made the log, you have to do it in reverse, meaning you have to unceck "scanner" in Kavlog.exe and click ok, then you can delete kavlog.exe, if you don't do this, it will continue to make logs and they will in no time fill up your harddrive, i did this once when i wanted to try it to see how it works. ;)

Hello again,

Those who read this forum are so helpful that I get answers even before any of you respond...<BG>

After posting a moment ago, I realized that it was probably the KAV service that was holding the log file. I turned off the service, deleted the log file, and then turned the service back on. Whew...

Now, I will try yet again to create another log file to send off.

All the best,

Kenneth

Hi Don, and others,

This has not been my most fun day...<g>

First off, indeed, it is TRACER.EXE that is used with KAV Workstation to create logs.

Now that I know that, it would seem a simple matter to create, then email the log off to my friends at Kaspersky, but no luck with that.

The log file is far too large to send, apparently because it keeps growing. That would seem simple enough, but I can't delete the thing. When I try, I get the message that there is a sahring violation. I assumed that it was held by TRACER.EXE and so deleted it, but still, I cannot delete the log file.

Might you have a suggestion?

Many thanks,

Kenneth

Hi again,

I am creating a new log file successfully, but, it is HUGE.

It is now 90320 KB and my scan started perhaps thirty seconds ago. How in the world can I email such a file to Kaspersky support folks? At this point, KAV has scanned fewer than 3500 objects, and I know that it will not get stuck until it scans something over 25000. The log file will be a monster.

Thanks for any suggestions on this,

Kenneth

Hello again,

Those who read this forum are so helpful that I get answers even before any of you respond...<BG>

After posting a moment ago, I realized that it was probably the KAV service that was holding the log file. I turned off the service, deleted the log file, and then turned the service back on. Whew...

Now, I will try yet again to create another log file to send off.

All the best,

Kenneth

Hello all,

I just completed the log. I stopped the process within five or ten seconds of the error, but despite that, the log file is 749,313KB...!!!

Thanks for any further help,

Kenneth

Hi again,

I am creating a new log file successfully, but, it is HUGE.

It is now 90320 KB and my scan started perhaps thirty seconds ago. How in the world can I email such a file to Kaspersky support folks? At this point, KAV has scanned fewer than 3500 objects, and I know that it will not get stuck until it scans something over 25000. The log file will be a monster.

Thanks for any suggestions on this,

Kenneth

ok here we go :)

1. i would still suggest you to do my sugestion #2

2. deleteing the tracer or stoping the kav service is not the solution. exit kav, open the tracer and uncheck te debug option you set befor, save the changes in the tracer ad then restart kav.

let me try to explain this so you will understand...

when you start the debug then you have to exit kav, start the tracer (or the kavlog), set the options to debug the right kav component and save this options in the tracer (or the kavlog). doing this will set special reg keys that will start kav in a special debug mode, when it will be started again.

so now i hope you see that the logical step after you do the debug is to remove those reg keys that start kav in debug mode. to do this you simple exit kav, open the tracer tool (or the kavlog), uncheck the debug options you set before, save them, and restart kav.

3. about the large debug log file...

first you should try to zip or rar them. normaly such text files can be compresed alot. second, as i said several times before :) you should get in direct contact with someone from KL. they are able to give you access to upload large files to their ftp server.

Hi There,

Please accept my thanks...

I am in touch with the folks from Kaspersky and hope that we can move forward on this.

All the best,

Kenneth

ok here we go :)

1. i would still suggest you to do my sugestion #2

2. deleteing the tracer or stoping the kav service is not the solution. exit kav, open the tracer and uncheck te debug option you set befor, save the changes in the tracer ad then restart kav.

let me try to explain this so you will understand...

when you start the debug then you have to exit kav, start the tracer (or the kavlog), set the options to debug the right kav component and save this options in the tracer (or the kavlog). doing this will set special reg keys that will start kav in a special debug mode, when it will be started again.

so now i hope you see that the logical step after you do the debug is to remove those reg keys that start kav in debug mode. to do this you simple exit kav, open the tracer tool (or the kavlog), uncheck the debug options you set before, save them, and restart kav.

3. about the large debug log file...

first you should try to zip or rar them. normaly such text files can be compresed alot. second, as i said several times before :) you should get in direct contact with someone from KL. they are able to give you access to upload large files to their ftp server.

I am in touch with the folks from Kaspersky and hope that we can move forward on this.

great, if you find time please report back with the end results.

Hello again,

We may be crawling toward progress...

I sent the full error log to the Kaspersky folks and today, they asked that I send them a full memory dump.

I created the appropriate setting in Control Panel | System. Then I rebooted. Then, I attempted to run the KAV scan, and it failed as always.

Then, KAV is hung up, but the system is not. I can only close KAV by using Task Manager. If I close KAV, I can continue to use the system.

So, at the moment that I get the error from KAV, what should I do to generate the memory dump?

Sincere thanks,

Kenneth

great, if you find time please report back with the end results.

Hi again,

I remain curious about this:

My scans hang up while KAV is working on various PST files, but I have configured the scan to "Exclude Email databases.

Why is KAV not exclucing 'em?

Thanks,

Kenneth

Hello again,

We may be crawling toward progress...

I sent the full error log to the Kaspersky folks and today, they asked that I send them a full memory dump.

I created the appropriate setting in Control Panel | System. Then I rebooted. Then, I attempted to run the KAV scan, and it failed as always.

Then, KAV is hung up, but the system is not. I can only close KAV by using Task Manager. If I close KAV, I can continue to use the system.

So, at the moment that I get the error from KAV, what should I do to generate the memory dump?

Sincere thanks,

Kenneth

My scans hang up while KAV is working on various PST files, but I have configured the scan to "Exclude Email databases.

Why is KAV not exclucing 'em?

hmmm... i guess the best thing will be to wait for some KL developer to answer this question, they should know it exactly since they have build it :)

may i ask how you exclude them? if i remember right it was recommended to add an "*.PST" exclusion to the exclusion list.

Hi again,

Sure...

Click Settings | Configure Scan My Computer | Settings | Configure Scan | Details. There you will see a heading "Exclude from the scan..." and a bunch of check boxes for different categories of files including "Email Database Files."

I remain baffled...

All the best,

Kenneth

hmmm... i guess the best thing will be to wait for some KL developer to answer this question, they should know it exactly since they have build it :)

may i ask how you exclude them? if i remember right it was recommended to add an "*.PST" exclusion to the exclusion list.

can you do a screenshot of it? and try to add an exclusion to the exclusion list, the list where you can also add exclusions for known riskware applications... sorry i dont know where this option is in KAV WKS. in kav personal and peronal pro you can find it at the settings tab -> exclusions and something :)

Hello again,

I am now attempting to run the scan with *.PST expressly excluded... We shall see.

All the best,

Kenneth

can you do a screenshot of it? and try to add an exclusion to the exclusion list, the list where you can also add exclusions for known riskware applications... sorry i dont know where this option is in KAV WKS. in kav personal and peronal pro you can find it at the settings tab -> exclusions and something :)

I am now attempting to run the scan with *.PST expressly excluded... We shall see.

ok... also please stay in contact with KL, only they are able to fix the real bug :)

Hi again,

First, after expressly excluding from the scan *.PST files, the scan failed again. I will continue with KL, but would love to get this resolved before my retirement party...

All the best,

Kenneth

ok... also please stay in contact with KL, only they are able to fix the real bug :)

First, after expressly excluding from the scan *.PST files, the scan failed again.

:( well one last thing i can try to suggest before i go to bed is:

1. open your email client and delete all the mail that you dont need from all the folders (inbox, outbox, sent, trash,...), if you need all the mail then dont delete nothing :)

2. try to compact all of this folders (i am not sure if this action is called compact also in outlook)

3. close your email client (now all your .pst files should be compacted = in good condition) and run the scan...

Hello again,

One enormous frustration in all of this is that the cycle time for messages to Kaspersky Support seems always to be 24 hours.

They sent me a message asking that I send them "full memory." Of course, I had no idea what that meant, and so responded with a request for more detail.

24 hours later, I received another message from them saying that they meant a "full memory dump."

Again, I responded that I needed help to understand how to do that, and asked that they provide a detailed response...

About three hours ago I received yet another message telling me to use DrWatson, and asking if I needed any detail on how to do that.

I do, and said so immediately, but know that I will have to wait another 24 hours for a response.

Indeed, these nice folks (and I should add here that I have been in communication with 6 or 7 different people) may be technically competent (I would have little way to know) but in terms of providing meaningful assistance, the level of technical service is terrible.

With proper guidance, I could have provided them all that they needed to diagnose my problem in fifteen minutes, but, so far, it has been four days, and that with no meaningful progress.

Might someone here be able to assist in describing to me how I can create a DrWatson log of "full memory"?

Very sincere thanks,

Kenneth

:( well one last thing i can try to suggest before i go to bed is:

1. open your email client and delete all the mail that you dont need from all the folders (inbox, outbox, sent, trash,...), if you need all the mail then dont delete nothing :)

2. try to compact all of this folders (i am not sure if this action is called compact also in outlook)

3. close your email client (now all your .pst files should be compacted = in good condition) and run the scan...

well i know about the .dmp files that drwatson normaly creates when something crashes but i have to confes that i have no experience on how to set (force) drwatson to make dumps... but maybe google can help us here ;) or some other members of this forum with some more knowladge about this :unsure:

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/315/13/2.html

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/405/12/2.html

http://www.codeproject.com/Purgatory/automemorydump.asp

Hi Kenneth,

(I have also replied by email)

This is how you create a dump with the help of DR Watson:

1. press [start] button, select menu 'Run'

3. type 'drwtsn32 -i' - there will be a message about successful registration of dr. Watson as a default debugger

4. press button [start], select menu 'Run'

5. type 'drwtsn32'

6. in the appeared window of dr. Watson make all settings as shown on the attached picture'dr_Watson.JPG'

7. close dr. Watson window

8. create on drive c: a folder 'c:\Dr_Watson'

9. reproduce the error

10. send us dump file user.dmp from folder 'c:\Dr_Watson'. (if the file is too big, you can upload it onto our FTP)

Regards,

Igor

dr_Watson.JPG

Hi Igor,

Please accept my very sincere thanks for your detailed suggestions!

I will do what you have described immediately.

All the best,

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,

3. type 'drwtsn32 -i' - there will be a message about successful registration of dr. Watson as a default debugger

5. type 'drwtsn32'

6. in the appeared window of dr. Watson make all settings as shown on the attached picture'dr_Watson.JPG'

9. reproduce the error

10. send us dump file user.dmp from folder 'c:\Dr_Watson'. (if the file is too big, you can upload it onto our FTP)

Regards,

Igor

Hi Igor,

I am in the process of setting this up but...

My Dr. Watson dialog does not (precisely) match your screen shot.

Yours shows choices for "Crash Dump Type" but those choices do not appear on my dialog.

I will continue, and send you the crash dump it generates.

Thanks,

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,

5. type 'drwtsn32'

9. reproduce the error

Regards,

Igor

well i asked Igor and zug if they could helped with this issue. Igor has posted above the instructions how to set drwatson to make the full memory dump. i can say that i see tha same dialog and options as the ones on the picture from Igor. i am using XP pro sp2. it also seems to me that the option "Crash Dump Type" is quite importaint in this case since here you set it to make the full memory dump... well, i guess you should try to do it anyway and see if you can make a full memory dump (it should be quite large), if however you are not able to do it, here is the replay and the suggestion from zug.

Hello,

How to get Complete memory dump

Note: by default the operating system creates a small memory dump that is not enough to find out the reason for the failure, a complete memory dump is necessary for it.

Configure it the following way:

- right-click My computer icon and select Properties >Advanced > Settings > Start-up and Recovery > Settings > Write debugging information > Complete memory dump

Note: in the same section choose the folder where the created dump will be created. By default this file will be created by the operating system in its own folder in MEMORY.DMP file. You can choose any folder name in the attached field.

- reproduce the problem once again

- make sure the complete memory dump file has been created successfully

- send the information of the file completion to Kaspersky Labs Technical Support email address: support@kaspersky.com. The link to ftp resource, where you can upload this file, will be sent you back.

Note: the memory dump file can be zipped up and that will reduce the size of the file you need to upload to our ftp site.

I have not read the entire post, but something smells like Norton...

I have posted the SymNrt.exe tool (zipped). Run this program after uninstalling Kaspersky via Add/Remove Programs. Reinstall KAV after the tool cleans up after Norton.

This tool will remove Norton 2004 and 2005, if you had an earlier version of Norton installed, lemme know and I will get you a different tool.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The situation is interesting:

I uninstalled KAV, rebooted, ran the Norton removal tool you offered, rebooted, re-installed KAV, rebooted, and started the KAV scan (while I held my breath...)

Then, to my great pleasure, KAV worked its way well past the hang-up point that had plagued me.

I thought we were home free, but when I returned to the system about an hour later, it displayed the familiar Unhandled Exception error!

So, I sincerely appreciate your help on this, but no, removing every trace of Norton did not solve it.

I have sent to Kaspersky support folks every scan log known to humankind, and they have told me to expect a response on Monday.

I'll keep you (and others) posted.

Again, please accept my sincere thanks,

Kenneth

I have not read the entire post, but something smells like Norton...

I have posted the SymNrt.exe tool (zipped).  Run this program after uninstalling Kaspersky via Add/Remove Programs. Reinstall KAV after the tool cleans up after Norton.

This tool will remove Norton 2004 and 2005, if you had an earlier version of Norton installed, lemme know and I will get you a different tool.

Mike

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.