KennethS

Unhandled Exception Error

Howdy,

I just installed trial versions of KAV Workstation on two of our Win 2000 systems.

The version is 5.0.200.

The install was fine, but neither machine can complete a scan. In both cases after scanning a few thousand files, KAV hangs showing an "Unhandled Exception Error."

What should be my next step to get this to run?

Sincere thanks,

Kenneth

try to get those machines to upgrade to version 5.0.205 AFAIK the upgrade should happen automaticly with patches (program modules update) via kav update.

Hello again,

Thanks to all...

Just after posting, I noticed the patch, and applied it, but at that point did not know if it related to my problem.

BTW, the normal process of updating did not pull down the patch.

All the best, and thanks again,

Kenneth

try to get those machines to upgrade to version 5.0.205 AFAIK the upgrade should happen automaticly with patches (program modules update) via kav update.

Hello again,

The good news is that I have patched to V 5.0.205, and rebooted, but...

When I attempted a full scan I still got hung up (on two systems) with an "Unhandled Exception Error."

What should be my next step?

Thanks again,

Kenneth

Hello again,

Thanks to all...

Just after posting, I noticed the patch, and applied it, but at that point did not know if it related to my problem.

BTW, the normal process of updating did not pull down the patch.

All the best, and thanks again,

Kenneth

1. try to disable the scanning of email archives in the on-demand protection options and try to run the full scan. because there is/was a known isue with the scan of large email databases.

2. if the first one does not help try to set kav to log all messages (settings tab -> additional settings -> log all messages) then try to scan and see in the scan logs if there is a special object (file) that makes the problem.

3. if this does not help then you still have the option to set the kav in to debug mode and run the scan... but it is advised that you do this with assistance from someone from kaspersky lab since they will have to analyze the debug log.

Hello again,

I will certainly try your suggestions, but...

It would seem to me that scanning email archives is a rather important thing. Indeed, skipping those may "solve" my scanning problem, but would that not leave my machine unprotected?

Thanks again,

Kenneth

1. try to disable the scanning of email archives in the on-demand protection options and try to run the full scan. because there is/was a known isue with the scan of large email databases.

2. if the first one does not help try to set kav to log all messages (settings tab -> additional settings -> log all messages) then try to scan and see in the scan logs if there is a special object (file) that makes the problem.

3. if this does not help then you still have the option to set the kav in to debug mode and run the scan... but it is advised that you do this with assistance from someone from kaspersky lab since they will have to analyze the debug log.

Hello again,

I will certainly try your suggestions, but...

It would seem to me that scanning email archives is a rather important thing. Indeed, skipping those may "solve" my scanning problem, but would that not leave my machine unprotected?

Thanks again,

Kenneth

No, because the real-time monitor will step in if you open an infected mail. You should at least try it. :)

Hello again,

I can prevent KAV from scanning "Archives" or "Email format files (as well as many other things.)

Which of the two above are you suggesting I not scan?

I ask because you had mentioned "E-mail archives" earlier.

Thanks again,

Kenneth

No, because the real-time monitor will step in if you open an infected mail. You should at least try it. :)

In Kaspersky Pro, they are called "Mail databases" & "Mail format files". do not exclude "Scan archives"

Hi,

I am puzzled by all this...

Several times, I have tried, and failed, to run the complete scan. I have excluded "E-Mail Databases" but was just watching and see that KAV is scanning PST (My Outlook databases) files anyway.

Right now I am trying to run the scan excluding "Archives", "E-Mail Format Files", "E-Mail Databases" and "Trusted Riskware" just as a test. I know when I exclude only the last three it fails every time.

We shall see...

Thanks again,

Kenneth

In Kaspersky Pro, they are called  "Mail databases" & "Mail format files". do not exclude "Scan archives"

Hi,

Several times, I have tried, and failed, to run the complete scan. I have excluded "E-Mail Databases" but was just watching and see that KAV is scanning PST (My Outlook databases) files anyway.

Right now I am trying to run the scan excluding "Archives", "E-Mail Format Files", "E-Mail Databases" and "Trusted Riskware" just as a test. I know when I exclude only the last three it fails every time.

We shall see...

Thanks again,

Kenneth

Hello all,

Well, no luck...

Even skipping the scan of the four categories of files, I cannot complete a full scan. I just got the familiar "Unhandled Exception Error" on two machines.

Of course, I would welcome any further suggestions, and thank you once again,

Kenneth

Hi,

We shall see...

Thanks again,

Kenneth

Now is the time to do what Saso also suggest as solution #3, make debuglogs and contact support.

In this post; Ivan gives a blueprint on how to it properly.

Download the two utilities, just replace antispam with the scanner and try to do a scan instead of opening outlook. :)

Hi Don,

'Too tired to mess with it further tonight, but tomorrow, I will give it a try.

Very sincere thanks for your great help!

All the best,

Kenneth

Now is the time to do what Saso also suggest as solution #3, make debuglogs and contact support.

In this post; Ivan gives a blueprint on how to it properly.

Download the two utilities, just replace antispam with the scanner and try to do a scan instead of opening outlook. :)

Hi again Don,

Well, I lied...

I generated the sysinfo.txt, but am perplexed by the logging utility.

I ran it, but it gives me a ton of choices:

Under the heading "General" it has check boxes for Service, GUI, and Communicator.

Under the heading "Tasks" it lists:

Scanner, Monitor, Mail Checker, Scrip Checker, Updater, IDS, IDS drivers, and Anti Spam.

Of these, checking "Scanner" seems the most likely bet, but I am certainly not sure.

Do you know?

Thanks again,

Kenneth

Hi Don,

'Too tired to mess with it further tonight, but tomorrow, I will give it a try.

Very sincere thanks for your great help!

All the best,

Kenneth

Hi again Don,

Here's what I have done:

I launched the KAV Logs utility and I checked "Scanner." While the utility was open on screen, I launched KAV and am now running a scan. I assume that it will fail as it has before.

Tomorrow morning, when I expect to find it hung up, I will click the "Compress & email" button on the logging utility.

Is that the appropriate process?

Sincere thanks,

Kenneth

Hi again Don,

Well, I lied...

I generated the sysinfo.txt, but am perplexed by the logging utility.

I ran it, but it gives me a ton of choices:

Under the heading "General" it has check boxes for Service, GUI, and Communicator.

Under the heading "Tasks" it lists:

Scanner, Monitor, Mail Checker, Scrip Checker,  Updater, IDS, IDS drivers, and Anti Spam.

Of these, checking "Scanner" seems the most likely bet, but I am certainly not sure.

Do you know?

Thanks again,

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth

Sorry, but thats not enough, you need to do it this way (and remember the getsysteminfo too):

Please download two attached utilities.

Run GetSystemInfo and save its log file. (sysinfo.txt)

Then run Kavlog, checkmark scanner option, reboot your PC and try to do a scan.

Send us log files to support@kaspersky.com, describe your problem in letter or just paste there link for this topic.

do not forget to write your order data or registration number.

And very important, when you have made the log, you have to do it in reverse, meaning you have to unceck "scanner" in Kavlog.exe and click ok, then you can delete kavlog.exe, if you don't do this, it will continue to make logs and they will in no time fill up your harddrive, i did this once when i wanted to try it to see how it works. ;)

hi :)

i am sorry with that a bit unclear "email archives" suggestion. the idea was about disabling the "Mail databases" and "Mail format files"...

i think you skiped my #2 suggestion ;) i think it would be an importaint step.

and about the #3 suggestion. i think kavlog.exe is the wrong tool. AFAIK this is the tool for kav personal and kav personal pro, for kav WKS i belive you should use another one called tracer.exe. this and choosing the right option in the debug tools is the reasion why i sugested why you should first get in contact with someone from KL so they woill guide you step by step. i have done it myself several times, so actualy i know how they work, but i would still sugest you to get direct contact with someone from KL for debuging kav.

also importaint is that you stop the debuger (even the kavlog) after you are done. simple open the tool and simple uncheck the options and click ok (save).

You're right, Saso. But tracer doesn't seem to have a log scan option, thats why i suggeted kavlog, but maybe you know better? :)

You're right, Saso. But tracer doesn't seem to have a log scan option, thats why i suggeted kavlog, but maybe you know better? :)

oh i see :) well i also know that they are able to set kav into debug mode with reg keys... well i dont know better this is why i suggest to get in contact with someone from KL, they should know :)

oh i see :) well i also know that they are able to set kav into debug mode with reg keys... well i dont know better this is why i suggest to get in contact with someone from KL, they should know :)

Yes, i agree, that would be the best option. :)

Maybe your second option, Saso, should be explored first?

Hey Don,

I thank you for your detailed description of the process, but still have one (small) question:

I ran KAVLOG and checked "scanner." Then I rebooted.

Right now, I am attempting to run yet another scan.

I assume that because I followed your suggested steps, KAVLOG will create the log, but I have no idea where it will be located, or what its name is.

I do know that KAVLOG has a button that says something like "Compress and email the log."

After my current attempted scan fails should I launch KAVLOG again and push that Compress and email button, or is there a better way to access the log file?

Sincere thanks,

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth

Sorry, but thats not enough, you need to do it this way (and remember the getsysteminfo too):

Please download two attached utilities.

Run GetSystemInfo and save its log file. (sysinfo.txt)

Then run Kavlog, checkmark scanner option, reboot your PC and try to do a scan.

Send us log files to support@kaspersky.com, describe your problem in letter or just paste there link for this topic.

do not forget to write your order data or registration number. 

And very important, when you have made the log, you have to do it in reverse, meaning you have to unceck "scanner" in Kavlog.exe and click ok, then you can delete kavlog.exe, if you don't do this, it will continue to make logs and they will in no time fill up your harddrive, i did this once when i wanted to try it to see how it works. ;)

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.