Jeff-22

Chrome self signed certificate, Cannot guarantee... ... [merged]

Hi, everybody,

I have the same problem since today ; whenever I open Chrome Kaspersky ask me about this certificate ; I have read that this problem may be casued by Chromecast.

I have not chromecast but I have Google home configured in my netwrok wifi ; may  even Google home  cause this problem ? any issues about that? 

The workaround posted by kts-tester is the same one offered by Kaspersky Tech Support Engineer Mefodys.

This is a workaround.

• It DID correct my problem with casting from Google Chrome to my Vizio television.
  • I DID correct my problem with getting VLC to cast to my television.
  • I still cannot cast from my Windows 10 desktop using
    Right-click | "Cast To Device".

For this solution to work, you have to know name or names of all the executables involved in the network communications.

Does anyone know what executables or services have to be enable for "Cast To Device" from a Windows Desktop?  I've tried at least six different ones associated with Media Player and ancillary services.

Has anyone at Kaspersky acknowledged that this is a problem that they are working on? I've read many threads on this subject and and all I see is workarounds.

I switched from a competitor recently and I am starting to regret it. I understand that there are some problems with software that can take time to resolve; however, I don't have a good feeling that this problem is even being addressed.

3 hours ago, grey_beard said:

Has anyone at Kaspersky acknowledged that this is a problem that they are working on? I've read many threads on this subject and and all I see is workarounds.

I switched from a competitor recently and I am starting to regret it. I understand that there are some problems with software that can take time to resolve; however, I don't have a good feeling that this problem is even being addressed.

Hey Grey_beard, 

Kaspersky previously raised BR#3214641 and, apparently, is still "work in progress", however, some posters have now advised, Kasperky Lab Technical Support are advising those Kaspersky Customers to use the "solution" proposed by Mefodys, except, that "solution", as stated by Mefodys, is a "workaround", and, reading this forum, has many Kaspersky Customers concerned as there may be less protection available. 

And, there's now another forum trail, https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/407318-self-signed-certificate-issue-google-docs/, where posters are being advised to read this forum (/topic/408030) & has the some commonalities.

Not sure if it will be mereged with this forum (/topic/408030). 

Edited by K-SNAFU

7 hours ago, jjflash7 said:

Not scanning ports is not a solution.  Stop saying it's a "fix".   It's nothing more than an out-of-site out-of-mind solution which leaves a security hole.

Kaspersky are there any updates on this issue?  It's becoming more widespread.  I see on the chrome forums that Chrome says it's a Kaspersky issue now.

mY TICKET NUMBER IS INC000010174467  i SENT REPORT

Yeah, I agree, I should have said workaround, not fix.

3 hours ago, grey_beard said:

I'm wondering if there is going to be a back and forth between Kaspersky and Google, my guess is Kaspersky will claim that Google Chromecast are issuing dogdy self signed certs, but Google will claim that Kaspersky is too strict or something along those lines.

8 minutes ago, kts-tester said:

I'm wondering if there is going to be a back and forth between Kaspersky and Google, my guess is Kaspersky will claim that Google Chromecast are issuing dogdy self signed certs, but Google will claim that Kaspersky is too strict or something along those lines.

Kaspersky also issue/distribute "self-signed" certificates with less than compliant parameters, that do cause Kaspersky Customers problems, which Kaspersky do their level best to "ignore" or refuse to acknowledge.

Seems the bigger you are (Google, Microsoft, Kaspersky et al) the more you think you don't have to meet "worlds best practice".

Edited by K-SNAFU

Looks like that 8009 port workaround only lasts for a certain period of time.  I enabled it on 3 pcs last night, and they all had the same self-signed certificate pop-up this morning, which blocked all internet activity on those machines until the pop-up was cleared.

7 hours ago, Madd_Mugsy said:

Looks like that 8009 port workaround only lasts for a certain period of time.  I enabled it on 3 pcs last night, and they all had the same self-signed certificate pop-up this morning, which blocked all internet activity on those machines until the pop-up was cleared.

Thanks for letting us know Madd_Mugsy, what a pain.  Were they win 7 or win 10 machines?

FWIW, my win 7 machine is still not showing the annoying popup.

So far this is what has worked for me. I opened the Google Home app on my phone, navigated to the settings for each of my chromecast devices (1 audio & 1 regular) and unchecked the box to send device usage data and crash reports to Google. Then I rebooted each chromecast device and my Windows 7 PC.

Here's what it fixed (so far) but I don't know how long it will last:

•  It's been 4 hours now since I've had the "self signed certificate" warning from Kaspersky and I've been using the computer steady.
  • Cast button on Chrome toolbar is now working. Before it wasn't showing any devices available to cast to.
  • All devices are connected to port 8009 with no issues

I've attached pictures of my router LAN settings that correspond with the IP addresses of each device as well as a screenshot of Kaspersky Network Traffic report to show the devices are connected to port 8009. I've also attached a picture of my "cast" options when I click the cast button on Chrome to show that it's finding my devices now.

cast.JPG

Lan-vert.jpg

I got 1 client who solved it by doing a full scan of kasperksy. did not came back after multiple reboots. i instructed the 7 other victims and am awaitening their response, but maybe someone can check here since it does not take much effort, and many people suffer

Edited by Bernard Stevens
typo

I just noticed these two entries in Kaspersky detailed reports. They both were entered right after I rebooted my windows 7 machine. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with why I'm not getting the "self signed certificate" warnings anymore.

trusted.JPG

trusted1.JPG

On 1/31/2019 at 6:46 AM, JBG_Lyon said:

I have the same problem at every new windows session. Only with Chrome, does not occur when using Microsoft Edge or Mozzilla Firefox

Same problem here. It happens just when I turn my laptop on, even before I open anything . Most annoying.

1 hour ago, Bernard Stevens said:

I got 1 client who solved it by doing a full scan of kasperksy. did not came back after multiple reboots. i instructed the 7 other victims and am awaitening their response, but maybe someone can check here since it does not take much effort, and many people suffer

if you are referring to a full scan using Kaspersky, I tried this on multiple computers and it did not help.

Has Kaspersky looked at previous versions of Chrome?  If i recall correctly, this didn't start happening until chrome updated.

12 hours ago, kts-tester said:

Thanks for letting us know Madd_Mugsy, what a pain.  Were they win 7 or win 10 machines?

FWIW, my win 7 machine is still not showing the annoying popup.

All Win 7 machines.  I only added the Chrome.exe file though.

Looking at the above responses, I'm going to try adding the GoogleUpdateCore.exe and software_reporter_tool.exe.

Edit - I should also note that I get a whole bunch of warnings, and I have to click the Continue button several times to clear all the messages.  All self-signed certificates, all Google Chrome.  Attached is what I saw coming back to my PC today after leaving it on and signed in overnight.

Also the first time clicking anything on the dialog will freeze up Kaspersky and I'll have to kill it via the Task Manager and let it reload in order to be able to click anything.  This happens on all 3 machines as well.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Madd_Mugsy

Don't bother with the GoogleUpdateCore.exe and software_reporter_tool.exe.

As soon as I rebooted again the self signed certificate warnings came back.

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

I did just update the database files though (541KB... there's gotta be something there, right?), so I'm hoping that helps...

Edit - nevermind.  It didn't.

Edited by Madd_Mugsy

3 hours ago, Madd_Mugsy said:

All Win 7 machines.  I only added the Chrome.exe file though.

Looking at the above responses, I'm going to try adding the GoogleUpdateCore.exe and software_reporter_tool.exe.

Edit - I should also note that I get a whole bunch of warnings, and I have to click the Continue button several times to clear all the messages.  All self-signed certificates, all Google Chrome.  Attached is what I saw coming back to my PC today after leaving it on and signed in overnight.

Also the first time clicking anything on the dialog will freeze up Kaspersky and I'll have to kill it via the Task Manager and let it reload in order to be able to click anything.  This happens on all 3 machines as well.

I forgot to add that I see this Lock-up problem also on Kaspersky..."If" i don't immediate disconnect when the notification comes up and i let it set.

This is exactly what I'm getting too but clicking on disconnect now does nothing and warning message is still showing.

It worked once so I tried it again.

I rebooted both of my chromecast devices and my windows 7 machine at the same time. It's now been almost 6 hours and no self signed certificate warnings. Lets see how long it lasts this time.

I am having the same problem when opening chrome,  This started happening when I updated to the latest version of Kaspersky a few days ago. I also get the message to continue or disconnect. Clicking continue, I also have to click don't warn me for 30 mins then click multiple times on continue again for chrome to work. I do not have a Chromecast device and only use the Chrome browser. This is happening on 2 x laptops and a desktop in my home after updating to the latest Kaspersky version.

V

Same problem here. Disabling Encrypted connections scanning seems to work now, but lets see if it holds. One annoying elelemt is that Kaspersky app freezes totally and evenblock my internet fraffic, only remedy then is restart kaspersky or even restart computer....

Hi all

I'm watching this with interest since it is also happening to me. I just wanted to check something though. I am also getting the lock up of Kaspersky after clicking continue or disconnect. It also appears to knock me offline although I haven't managed to nail down exactly when so that might be unrelated. If I right click on the system tray and exit Kaspersky (the only function that does anything), when I reboot Kaspersky it tells me I have to reboot my computer to complete the disinfection. This points at it being a virus. No one else seems to have mentioned this so I'm wondering whether it is just coincidence?

image.png.0d4a70d636363853059a61e953294350.png

Anyone else seeing this?

Dave