DIVERSE

KIS 2017 doesn't notify user that it is "outdated and should not be used anymore"

Hello, Schulte.
So if KIS 2017 is "outdated and should not be used anymore", why on my system where it is installed does the application not notify me of such?
I keep the databases updated, and from time to time the "engine" has needed to be updated. But nothing about needing to move to KIS 2018 or KIS 2019.
KIS 2017 includes a "Software updater", which apparently works for many applications ...but not KIS itself!?!
It is also not clear how to check 'manually' whether one's version of KIS is "outdated", nor how to 'manually' move from KIS 2017 to KIS 2018/2019/20.

P.S. This thread was the result that came up when I searched for Kaspersky & Sandboxie conflicts.

Edited by DIVERSE
elaboration

According to one respondent at https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/166627-kaspersky-and-sandboxie/&tab=comments#comment-2817033 , KIS 2017 (and earlier) are "outdated and should not be used anymore".
However, KIS 2017 does not notify the user of any such issue. Why?

Latter issue moved into new thread at https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/400036-kis-2017-doesnt-notify-user-that-it-is-outdated-and-should-not-be-used-anymore/

Because in the world of notification, badges, vibrations it can be annoying to nag the end user. Take charge of your own security and proactively upgrade!

There is no gold balance between nagging and non-nagging and interrupting the user workflow. Granted sometimes a push to a newer version had happened before.

I take your point about "nagging". However, even if I actively interrogate KIS 2017, it still doesn't tell me that it's "out of date"!
I can search for updates, and I can download the latest database (and occasionally a new 'engine'). But never has it told me that the _version_ is out of date.

As I mentioned, that is a contrast from its behaviour for other applications! The KIS 2017 "Software Updater" tool warns me about outdated versions of things like Flash Player — both without me asking (i.e. it "nags" me) and when I specifically run the tool.

What I'm saying is that there should at least be a button or menu item in KIS that the user can click on to check whether the version they have installed is up-to-date.
Or, preferably, the user should be advised of it even without checking. The advisory doesn't have to be a series of annoying pop-ups every five minutes. It could be something subtle like a different colour and a message when the KIS GUI is opened. That sort of thing doesn't interrupt anyone's workflow.

On the other hand, the message I'm getting so far is that KIS will never tell the user that it's out of date, so once a week (?) I should spend (waste) my time checking the Kaspersky website just-in-case a newer version might have been released, and then spend (waste?) even more time trying to figure out if the new version actually supersedes my installed version, or whether they are _functionally_ equivalent, and just differ in some way that is inconsequential to me (e.g. offering new languages in the GUI, or ability to download updates via bluetooth).

Even now I can't say that I know for certain that KIS 2017 is truly "out of date" in terms of its functionality. If the 'engine' and databases are up to date, then what's different?
Moreover, if there's already a KIS 2019, then doesn't that imply KIS 2018 is also "out of date" and "shouldn't be used"?!?

Also, there is an option in Settings > Additional > Update that allows newer versions to be automatically downloaded and installed.  The HELP section indicates that the user's confirmation must be given before the actual process takes place.  I do not use this feature so I can't verify its functionality.

As Allsop points out, even though you're using an older version, that doesn't necessarily mean you've lost any functionality.  Opening the link provided shows that versions back to 2015 are fully supported.  Some users may be very happy running KIS2017 or 2018.  No functionality is lost in these versions.  Newer versions often include new features and other users may want to upgrade as soon as a newer version is available.

There are also Notifications in Settings > Additional > Notifications that may provide a notice if  a newer version is available.  You might want to check there and see if anything might be what you're looking for.

Thanks a lot, Allsop and dh27564. 

Incidentally, this thread branched off from thread 166627.  Based on the Product Support Lifecycle, it seems that (even if only by pure luck) I wasn't saying anything wrong in my comment about KIS 2016, 2016 and 2017 still being used;  whereas, in contrast, the assertion by Schulte seems to have been at least overstated. 

It's good that the product lifecycle information is available.  I'm not sure how quickly I would have found it, so I appreciate the pointer to the link.  But it's definitely something I don't want to have to take responsibility to check every week or so just-in-case my version has become "out of date". 

I have also checked the specific settings mentioned above on my installation. 

Under Settings>Additional>Update there is a choice for "New application versions" with two options:
* Download and install new versions automatically (recommended)
* Do not download new versions automatically and do not notify me when new versions are available
[verbatim]

I already had the first ("recommended") option selected.  However, as mentioned, it's not notified me of any failure of the KIS 2017 application itself to be up-to-date . 

Incidentally, it looks strange that there are only those two options (above).  You'd think there'd be a middle option of "Do notify me, but don't install automatically";  however, as mentioned by dh27564, perhaps that is what actually happens when the first option is selected. 

Under Settings>Additional>Notifications I had every box ticked (probably unnecessarily). 
Nevertheless, under "Notify about events" the "Restore all hidden notifications" link was active, with a note that five notifications had been hidden.  There seems to be no (easy) way to find out what was hidden.  Probably I had hidden some notifications about innocuous/expected/routine events such as [I guess] connecting to a new IP address, or plugging in a new USB device.  I clicked the link hoping that I would be shown which notifications had now been reactivated, but there was no such detail.  However, I doubt that this will help with notification about new versions, because it seems to be exclusively about event notifications — i.e. system events. 
The other non-event notifications within this group of settings relate to things like receiving advertisements and promotional offers, and whether or not to play a sound.  Given that they were all selected, they don't seem to help with finding out that newer versions of KIS are available. 

Regarding functionality, is there any statement by Kaspersky that all of the supported versions of KIS use the same (or functionally identical) "engine" and utilise the same database (or equivalent databases containing practically identical content)? 

—DIV

1 hour ago, DIVERSE said:

Regarding functionality, is there any statement by Kaspersky that all of the supported versions of KIS use the same (or functionally identical) "engine" and utilise the same database (or equivalent databases containing practically identical content)? 

—DIV

There will be improvements with all new releases. As Whizard says, you need to be proactive and check if new versions have been released in your region

I check Kaspersky Support   Such as here. There's a wealth of info, if you go look for it.  https://support.kaspersky.com/kis2018#kb

Older, current and newer versions are listed, and you can Google What's new for product info.

Edited by Fenderman1

8 hours ago, DIVERSE said:

Under Settings>Additional>Update there is a choice for "New application versions" with two options:
* Download and install new versions automatically (recommended)
* Do not download new versions automatically and do not notify me when new versions are available
[verbatim]

I already had the first ("recommended") option selected.  However, as mentioned, it's not notified me of any failure of the KIS 2017 application itself to be up-to-date . 

Incidentally, it looks strange that there are only those two options (above).  You'd think there'd be a middle option of "Do notify me, but don't install automatically";  however, as mentioned by dh27564, perhaps that is what actually happens when the first option is selected. 

—DIV

I must admit that your point about the need for a middle option seems valid to me as well, instead of what appears to be an "all or nothing" approach. It may be that your assumption in what you have said after the semi colon in your quote is in fact the case but confirmation of this would be helpful. However as a user group, it is my understanding that  we have no control over K in terms of making changes so unless someone who has ticked bullet point one can confirm that the user is still asked to authorise the download before it happens then only KLab can really clarify matters and more importantly change the way the options are presented in terms of language if that is required.

mikethebike

On 8/12/2018 at 1:45 PM, Fenderman1 said:

There's a wealth of info, if you go look for it.

That link opened up a knowledgebase that seemed like it was going to be difficult to extract anything relevant from. 

However I happened to quickly stumble onto What's new in KIS 2018 , and then  What's new in KIS 2019 .  
No indication there of use of different "engine" or definition databases. 

—DIV

Slightly off-topic:  it seems KIS is not the only AV product where application/engine upgrades are not always quickly pushed out to users — it was also reported with McAfee (albeit from 5 years ago).